traveling with my husband to Rome (3 nights, Florence 4 nights, and Venice 3 nights) in March!
(I visited Rome years ago as a student, and my husband and I spent one day together in Rome on our way to the Amalfi Coast about 6 years ago.)
don't want to exhaust ourselves/battle huge crowds trying to see "everything"...prefer to take in life and atmosphere and see/visit several highlights...
any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
Day 1: arrive from airport to hotel near Spanish Steps around 9am
Borghese Gallery & Gardens
walk around hotel area, perhaps venture onto Via Condotti/shopping areas or visit Villa Medici
return to hotel
10am-1pm 3-hour private guide - want to maximize time:
visit Colliseum, Roman Forum (probably no time remaining for more)
(Do you think this is best use of guide's time or perhaps group tour better for this?)
(We had considered a 2pm-5pm Ancient Rome Walking on Day 1, but were worried we might be exhausted by this time after our overnight flight from the U.S.)
Lunch in Monti or Piazza Navona
Explore on own
Return to hotel
8am small group tour of Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's - through Dark Rome Tours (assuming the Conclave is not taking place!)
explore on own
Return to hotel
We have visited the Pantheon previously and have also visited the Trevi Fountain, which we can return to (fountain.)
We would like to venture out to Tivoli to see the Villa d'Este gardens, but don't know if that's too much and don't want to go with a large group tour.
again, any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
(I will post similarly for Florence and Venice.)
Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rioja - Where to Stay the Night?
- 2 Enjoying England for a year!
- 3 Spain - Advice for Beach towns
- 4 Iceland in 4 days?
- 5 Our time in Rome
- 6 Europe itinerary
- 7 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 8 Favorite restaurants in Barcelona, Seville, Granada, San Sebastian
- 9 Advice on these Madrid apartments and hostels please.
- 10 Favorite restaurants in Paris
- 11 London road closings this weekend: Bike Race
- 12 Renting International Cars from USA
- 13 Europe itinerary review
- 14 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 15 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 16 train from ravenna to parma
- 17 Timing when visiting the Dordogne Department
- 18 Suicide bombing in Ansbach
- 19 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 20 The Texas Trio Tour England
- 21 European Travel in March
- 22 Les bons plans de whathello - paris - hotel
- 23 Transport from Prague to Slovenia-Croatia-Bosnia-Romania
- 24 My First Trip to Europe...
- 25 Looking for a car with a driver in Ireland