traveling with my husband to Rome (3 nights, Florence 4 nights, and Venice 3 nights) in March!
(I visited Rome years ago as a student, and my husband and I spent one day together in Rome on our way to the Amalfi Coast about 6 years ago.)
don't want to exhaust ourselves/battle huge crowds trying to see "everything"...prefer to take in life and atmosphere and see/visit several highlights...
any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
Day 1: arrive from airport to hotel near Spanish Steps around 9am
Borghese Gallery & Gardens
walk around hotel area, perhaps venture onto Via Condotti/shopping areas or visit Villa Medici
return to hotel
10am-1pm 3-hour private guide - want to maximize time:
visit Colliseum, Roman Forum (probably no time remaining for more)
(Do you think this is best use of guide's time or perhaps group tour better for this?)
(We had considered a 2pm-5pm Ancient Rome Walking on Day 1, but were worried we might be exhausted by this time after our overnight flight from the U.S.)
Lunch in Monti or Piazza Navona
Explore on own
Return to hotel
8am small group tour of Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's - through Dark Rome Tours (assuming the Conclave is not taking place!)
explore on own
Return to hotel
We have visited the Pantheon previously and have also visited the Trevi Fountain, which we can return to (fountain.)
We would like to venture out to Tivoli to see the Villa d'Este gardens, but don't know if that's too much and don't want to go with a large group tour.
again, any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
(I will post similarly for Florence and Venice.)
Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3-ish Countries in 3 Weeks?
- 2 However, once you've gotten
- 3 American Style Restaurants in London
- 4 The Definitive Guide to Behave Like A Local in Spain
- 5 After Mass, on a Sunday, in Rome
- 6 One Way... trust or bust?
- 7 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 8 Edinburgh Nightlife
- 9 Girls trip - Lisbon
- 10 Walking GPS?
- 11 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 12 July 2-5, 2012 Int'l Philosphy Conference at Assos, Turkey (near Troy)
- 13 Cross Border Car Rental in Balkans
- 14 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 15 London theatre fans: advance info about Globe productions?
- 16 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 17 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 18 France: advice on where to go with young kids
- 19 Portugal trains
- 20 Rome to Cascia - is it better by train or bus?
- 21 Need suggestions on where to stay in Porto?
- 22 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 23 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 24 Scandinavia Itinerary Advice
- 25 Solo backpacking for 5 weeks