traveling with my husband to Rome (3 nights, Florence 4 nights, and Venice 3 nights) in March!
(I visited Rome years ago as a student, and my husband and I spent one day together in Rome on our way to the Amalfi Coast about 6 years ago.)
don't want to exhaust ourselves/battle huge crowds trying to see "everything"...prefer to take in life and atmosphere and see/visit several highlights...
any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
Day 1: arrive from airport to hotel near Spanish Steps around 9am
Borghese Gallery & Gardens
walk around hotel area, perhaps venture onto Via Condotti/shopping areas or visit Villa Medici
return to hotel
10am-1pm 3-hour private guide - want to maximize time:
visit Colliseum, Roman Forum (probably no time remaining for more)
(Do you think this is best use of guide's time or perhaps group tour better for this?)
(We had considered a 2pm-5pm Ancient Rome Walking on Day 1, but were worried we might be exhausted by this time after our overnight flight from the U.S.)
Lunch in Monti or Piazza Navona
Explore on own
Return to hotel
8am small group tour of Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's - through Dark Rome Tours (assuming the Conclave is not taking place!)
explore on own
Return to hotel
We have visited the Pantheon previously and have also visited the Trevi Fountain, which we can return to (fountain.)
We would like to venture out to Tivoli to see the Villa d'Este gardens, but don't know if that's too much and don't want to go with a large group tour.
again, any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
(I will post similarly for Florence and Venice.)
Thank you so much!
Relaxing Rome Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London sites - skipping the queue?
- 2 Madrid airport at night - how to pass the time
- 3 Edinburgh - outings?
- 4 Day Trips From Stockton-on-Tees
- 5 What to wear
- 6 How much time did -you- spend in Delphi and Olympia?
- 7 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 8 London Pass - Available through AAA?
- 9 Disneyland Paris transportation
- 10 Budapest hotels - Ibis Heroes or Ibis Budapest City
- 11 London Day Trips - Soooo many options
- 12 DH wants Paris but I need ACoast....itinerary help!
- 13 7 Nights in Paris
- 14 What to book ahead in Barcelona?
- 15 Irish Inns and B&B Reservations
- 16 Istanbul Itinerary
- 17 Swiss Pass - Purchase Online or in-Person
- 18 Wisdom needed for a itinerary in northern Italy, Bavaria and Prague
- 19 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 20 Matisse at Tate
- 21 canadian memorial in Normandy France
- 22 Small Group walking tour Switzerland
- 23 Suggested Itinerary and ideas for South of France road tour?
- 24 American electrical gadgets
- 25 Fjords, How To?