traveling with my husband to Rome (3 nights, Florence 4 nights, and Venice 3 nights) in March!
(I visited Rome years ago as a student, and my husband and I spent one day together in Rome on our way to the Amalfi Coast about 6 years ago.)
don't want to exhaust ourselves/battle huge crowds trying to see "everything"...prefer to take in life and atmosphere and see/visit several highlights...
any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
Day 1: arrive from airport to hotel near Spanish Steps around 9am
Borghese Gallery & Gardens
walk around hotel area, perhaps venture onto Via Condotti/shopping areas or visit Villa Medici
return to hotel
10am-1pm 3-hour private guide - want to maximize time:
visit Colliseum, Roman Forum (probably no time remaining for more)
(Do you think this is best use of guide's time or perhaps group tour better for this?)
(We had considered a 2pm-5pm Ancient Rome Walking on Day 1, but were worried we might be exhausted by this time after our overnight flight from the U.S.)
Lunch in Monti or Piazza Navona
Explore on own
Return to hotel
8am small group tour of Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's - through Dark Rome Tours (assuming the Conclave is not taking place!)
explore on own
Return to hotel
We have visited the Pantheon previously and have also visited the Trevi Fountain, which we can return to (fountain.)
We would like to venture out to Tivoli to see the Villa d'Este gardens, but don't know if that's too much and don't want to go with a large group tour.
again, any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
(I will post similarly for Florence and Venice.)
Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 2 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 3 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 4 House Hunting in France
- 5 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 6 Itinerary Tweaking
- 7 Itinerary Help
- 8 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 9 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 10 Hotel in Vienna
- 11 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 12 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 13 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 14 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 15 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 16 Amalfi Coast help
- 17 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 18 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 19 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 20 Scandinavia in mid-March 2.5 weeks
- 21 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 22 Help with Tuscany villa that is a walk to town/restaurants
- 23 Tuscany Day Trip Ideas?
- 24 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 25 If you had to choose one......