traveling with my husband to Rome (3 nights, Florence 4 nights, and Venice 3 nights) in March!
(I visited Rome years ago as a student, and my husband and I spent one day together in Rome on our way to the Amalfi Coast about 6 years ago.)
don't want to exhaust ourselves/battle huge crowds trying to see "everything"...prefer to take in life and atmosphere and see/visit several highlights...
any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
Day 1: arrive from airport to hotel near Spanish Steps around 9am
Borghese Gallery & Gardens
walk around hotel area, perhaps venture onto Via Condotti/shopping areas or visit Villa Medici
return to hotel
10am-1pm 3-hour private guide - want to maximize time:
visit Colliseum, Roman Forum (probably no time remaining for more)
(Do you think this is best use of guide's time or perhaps group tour better for this?)
(We had considered a 2pm-5pm Ancient Rome Walking on Day 1, but were worried we might be exhausted by this time after our overnight flight from the U.S.)
Lunch in Monti or Piazza Navona
Explore on own
Return to hotel
8am small group tour of Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's - through Dark Rome Tours (assuming the Conclave is not taking place!)
explore on own
Return to hotel
We have visited the Pantheon previously and have also visited the Trevi Fountain, which we can return to (fountain.)
We would like to venture out to Tivoli to see the Villa d'Este gardens, but don't know if that's too much and don't want to go with a large group tour.
again, any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
(I will post similarly for Florence and Venice.)
Thank you so much!
Relaxing Rome Itinerary
- 1 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 2 Is there a best time of day to visit the Alhambra?
- 3 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 4 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 5 Bavarian Honeymoon Suggestions
- 6 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie
- 7 More help with housing in Puglia
- 8 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 9 Chambermaid tipping
- 10 Euro Train
- 11 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 12 15 Day Europe Trip - Mix of rail and car.. Cost ineffective?
- 13 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 14 TGV and Provence questions
- 15 Rome Accommodation
- 16 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 17 Travel from Prague to Basel
- 18 Driving Slovenia & Noerthern Croatia
- 19 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 20 Italian Lakes gardens
- 21 London for Christmas
- 22 Garmisch, Nuremberg and Munich Nov trip
- 23 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 24 10 Summer days in Spain: Barcelona alone or Madrid too?
- 25 El Rocio festival, Huelva