traveling with my husband to Rome (3 nights, Florence 4 nights, and Venice 3 nights) in March!
(I visited Rome years ago as a student, and my husband and I spent one day together in Rome on our way to the Amalfi Coast about 6 years ago.)
don't want to exhaust ourselves/battle huge crowds trying to see "everything"...prefer to take in life and atmosphere and see/visit several highlights...
any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
Day 1: arrive from airport to hotel near Spanish Steps around 9am
Borghese Gallery & Gardens
walk around hotel area, perhaps venture onto Via Condotti/shopping areas or visit Villa Medici
return to hotel
10am-1pm 3-hour private guide - want to maximize time:
visit Colliseum, Roman Forum (probably no time remaining for more)
(Do you think this is best use of guide's time or perhaps group tour better for this?)
(We had considered a 2pm-5pm Ancient Rome Walking on Day 1, but were worried we might be exhausted by this time after our overnight flight from the U.S.)
Lunch in Monti or Piazza Navona
Explore on own
Return to hotel
8am small group tour of Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's - through Dark Rome Tours (assuming the Conclave is not taking place!)
explore on own
Return to hotel
We have visited the Pantheon previously and have also visited the Trevi Fountain, which we can return to (fountain.)
We would like to venture out to Tivoli to see the Villa d'Este gardens, but don't know if that's too much and don't want to go with a large group tour.
again, any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
(I will post similarly for Florence and Venice.)
Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Positano - Sorrento Travel Questions
- 2 Beaches in Southern France
- 3 Where in Paris?
- 4 Dordogne and Loire Valley
- 5 anyone use 'NO JET LAG' ?
- 6 4 days in London worth the jetlag?
- 7 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 8 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 9 Guides - Matera
- 10 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 11 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 12 Spain Itinerary Help
- 13 First time in London...hotel for mother/daughter trip?
- 14 Roundabout from "European Vacation" movie?
- 15 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 16 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 17 Swinoujscie Ferry Arrival
- 18 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 19 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 20 Stores that sell Knorr products in Munich?
- 21 Wine tasting in Santorini
- 22 cell phone companys
- 23 Itinerary and Hotel Recommendations -- Amalfi Coast
- 24 My 7 day Provence itinerary... workable?
- 25 Croatia Roadtrip: Plitvice -> Dubrovnik in August