traveling with my husband to Rome (3 nights, Florence 4 nights, and Venice 3 nights) in March!
(I visited Rome years ago as a student, and my husband and I spent one day together in Rome on our way to the Amalfi Coast about 6 years ago.)
don't want to exhaust ourselves/battle huge crowds trying to see "everything"...prefer to take in life and atmosphere and see/visit several highlights...
any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
Day 1: arrive from airport to hotel near Spanish Steps around 9am
Borghese Gallery & Gardens
walk around hotel area, perhaps venture onto Via Condotti/shopping areas or visit Villa Medici
return to hotel
10am-1pm 3-hour private guide - want to maximize time:
visit Colliseum, Roman Forum (probably no time remaining for more)
(Do you think this is best use of guide's time or perhaps group tour better for this?)
(We had considered a 2pm-5pm Ancient Rome Walking on Day 1, but were worried we might be exhausted by this time after our overnight flight from the U.S.)
Lunch in Monti or Piazza Navona
Explore on own
Return to hotel
8am small group tour of Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's - through Dark Rome Tours (assuming the Conclave is not taking place!)
explore on own
Return to hotel
We have visited the Pantheon previously and have also visited the Trevi Fountain, which we can return to (fountain.)
We would like to venture out to Tivoli to see the Villa d'Este gardens, but don't know if that's too much and don't want to go with a large group tour.
again, any itinerary feedback/oversights would be greatly appreciated!
(I will post similarly for Florence and Venice.)
Thank you so much!
Relaxing Rome Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece - Athens to Olympia Day Trip
- 2 What is the best way to tour the Bosphorus
- 3 Cruise stop at Livirono (Florence/Pisa)
- 4 9 Day Spain Itinerary (Barcelona - Seville - Madrid)
- 5 Ireland itinerary assistance
- 6 Christmas/New Year's Salzburg/Munich Opinion
- 7 Bologna - 5 days too much?
- 8 Reina Sofia guided tour?
- 9 Latest Itinerary
- 10 Ideas for Dec (Christmas) holiday - Where to go??
- 11 Ireland or Scotland
- 12 Honeymoon Decision?
- 13 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 14 Best area to stay in Dublin for someone in a wheelchair
- 15 Traveling to Sorrento Italy and surroundings
- 16 Two Month Europe Trip
- 17 Photos from our Nearly 2 Weeks in Turkey
- 18 car rental avignon one day or hiring a driver
- 19 What are Your Favorite Kid-Friendly Hotels in Paris?
- 20 Venice - what would your perfect two days be?
- 21 How did YOU get to Puglia?
- 22 Capital One credit card car and personal insurance question?
- 23 Stockholm - Arlanda Express advanced purchase tickets
- 24 Solo female travelling to Turkey! Suggestions?!
- 25 Cruising on Cunard in Your Twenties?