We are looking at putting together a vacation to England but would like to spend the majority of the time getting the country estate life experience. Where should we stay? I'm sure we will visit London for a few days but after that we'd like to visit historical homes and see places we've read about in literature. What would you recommend as far as 1) what are the absolute must see places in and around London from a historical POV... and 2) which country area would you stay in, where, and why? We'd love a bed and breakfast with full service for meals but still a decent commute to some historical landmarks and lush gardens... Thoughts?
Recommended places to visit for a countryside experience
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 2 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 3 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 4 Paris Perfect: change of apartment
- 5 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 6 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 7 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 8 Tuscany with 13 and 19 year old girls
- 9 Shoes for Paris in April
- 10 DOURO RIVER CRUISE - 1 DAY - PORTO-PINHAO-PORTO
- 11 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 12 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 13 Otherchelebi Can you Help Me?
- 14 21 Days in Central Europe
- 15 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 16 London visit
- 17 Need help making VIP seat reservations on Golden Pass train
- 18 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 19 Need help with Europe Itinerary
- 20 Advice Train from Berlin to Prague
- 21 Who has stayed at a Citadines Paris property?
- 22 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 23 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 24 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 25 How to get from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord?