I thought I would post about my experience yesterday trying to get a visa for Russia by waiting in line at the Russian consulate in NY in case it may help anyone else. I got to the consulate at 9:30 (which is when they are supposed to open for visas) and there were about 12-15 people already in line. The official there didn't let the first people in until close to 10. You have to wait outside exposed to the elements until you get in. They let in 3 people at a time and I didn't get in until about 12:00. At about 11:30, the official started telling people that they stoped letting people in at 12:30 and indicating that people towards the end of line wouldn't get in. Unfortunately, I couldn't get submit my application because I had written the wrong "reference number" on my form. The hotel from which I had gotten my tourist voucher gave me the wrong information about which number was the reference number. However the official was relatively nice and apologetic and suggested that if I went to Staples or somewhere with internet access and a printer and could fix the mistake I could come back between 2 and 3. I didn't do this so I don't know for sure if they would accept visa applications between 2 and 3. In any event, if I could have submitted my application, I could have picked up my visa in 10 business days (regualr processing) or 3 business days (expedited). I would have had to leave my passport there and the pick up is not at the consulate but at the Invisa Logistics Services office on Maiden Lane. I decided to go through a visa service rather than try my luck in person again. Hope someone may find this useful. Happy to answer any questions if I can.
Recent visa experience with Russian consulate in NY
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Pronunciation
- 2 Almost 3 weeks in Sicily in March
- 3 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 4 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 5 Albania by bus in 10 days??
- 6 What to wear
- 7 3 Week Europe Itinerary Help
- 8 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 9 Agritourism bed-and-breakfast in Normandy: Recommendations?
- 10 What still confounds you about travel?
- 11 Back home problems with sim card
- 12 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 13 How do you find French food?
- 14 Day trip to Siena and Tuscan town(s) using Public Transport from Florence
- 15 Rome to Pisa or Bologna to Pisa-Train...Help needed!
- 16 GPS in Tuscany
- 17 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 18 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 19 italy
- 20 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 21 Murren/Wengen in 3 days?
- 22 Travel over Col du Puymorens and lunch.
- 23 Monet in Normandy
- 24 DOURO RIVER CRUISE - 1 DAY - PORTO-PINHAO-PORTO
- 25 direct train from Lyon to Nice France?