I thought I would post about my experience yesterday trying to get a visa for Russia by waiting in line at the Russian consulate in NY in case it may help anyone else. I got to the consulate at 9:30 (which is when they are supposed to open for visas) and there were about 12-15 people already in line. The official there didn't let the first people in until close to 10. You have to wait outside exposed to the elements until you get in. They let in 3 people at a time and I didn't get in until about 12:00. At about 11:30, the official started telling people that they stoped letting people in at 12:30 and indicating that people towards the end of line wouldn't get in. Unfortunately, I couldn't get submit my application because I had written the wrong "reference number" on my form. The hotel from which I had gotten my tourist voucher gave me the wrong information about which number was the reference number. However the official was relatively nice and apologetic and suggested that if I went to Staples or somewhere with internet access and a printer and could fix the mistake I could come back between 2 and 3. I didn't do this so I don't know for sure if they would accept visa applications between 2 and 3. In any event, if I could have submitted my application, I could have picked up my visa in 10 business days (regualr processing) or 3 business days (expedited). I would have had to leave my passport there and the pick up is not at the consulate but at the Invisa Logistics Services office on Maiden Lane. I decided to go through a visa service rather than try my luck in person again. Hope someone may find this useful. Happy to answer any questions if I can.
Recent visa experience with Russian consulate in NY
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 2 A full week in The Netherlands
- 3 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 4 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 5 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 6 Madrid to Sevilla
- 7 Ireland in a week
- 8 Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station
- 9 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 10 Dawdling Through the Dordogne
- 11 Le Marche and Rome - Part 3 - Recanati
- 12 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 13 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 14 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 15 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 16 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 17 To Paris and Provence in June
- 18 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 19 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 20 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 21 Going to Puglia, I hope
- 22 7 days in Andalucia
- 23 Travelling to Amalfi Coast in April 2014
- 24 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 25 Venice passes....confusing as heck!