I thought I would post about my experience yesterday trying to get a visa for Russia by waiting in line at the Russian consulate in NY in case it may help anyone else. I got to the consulate at 9:30 (which is when they are supposed to open for visas) and there were about 12-15 people already in line. The official there didn't let the first people in until close to 10. You have to wait outside exposed to the elements until you get in. They let in 3 people at a time and I didn't get in until about 12:00. At about 11:30, the official started telling people that they stoped letting people in at 12:30 and indicating that people towards the end of line wouldn't get in. Unfortunately, I couldn't get submit my application because I had written the wrong "reference number" on my form. The hotel from which I had gotten my tourist voucher gave me the wrong information about which number was the reference number. However the official was relatively nice and apologetic and suggested that if I went to Staples or somewhere with internet access and a printer and could fix the mistake I could come back between 2 and 3. I didn't do this so I don't know for sure if they would accept visa applications between 2 and 3. In any event, if I could have submitted my application, I could have picked up my visa in 10 business days (regualr processing) or 3 business days (expedited). I would have had to leave my passport there and the pick up is not at the consulate but at the Invisa Logistics Services office on Maiden Lane. I decided to go through a visa service rather than try my luck in person again. Hope someone may find this useful. Happy to answer any questions if I can.
Recent visa experience with Russian consulate in NY
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 quiet hotel in Rome?
- 2 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 3 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 4 quiet hotel
- 5 He said , she said
- 6 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 7 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 8 Venice hotel selection
- 9 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 10 May trip to the islands
- 11 Where to stay in Rome
- 12 7 days in Greece
- 13 How far in advance should I book my car rentals ?
- 14 Killing time in Positano without shopping or beachtime
- 15 Augsburg with kids
- 16 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 17 Spontaneous trip to Ireland
- 18 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Le Marche and the Dolomites
- 19 Three days in Spain
- 20 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 21 Italy Apartment What To Bring
- 22 Easter week/ Semana Santa in Avila, Toledo, Segovia
- 23 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 24 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 25 Paris in April?