I thought I would post about my experience yesterday trying to get a visa for Russia by waiting in line at the Russian consulate in NY in case it may help anyone else. I got to the consulate at 9:30 (which is when they are supposed to open for visas) and there were about 12-15 people already in line. The official there didn't let the first people in until close to 10. You have to wait outside exposed to the elements until you get in. They let in 3 people at a time and I didn't get in until about 12:00. At about 11:30, the official started telling people that they stoped letting people in at 12:30 and indicating that people towards the end of line wouldn't get in. Unfortunately, I couldn't get submit my application because I had written the wrong "reference number" on my form. The hotel from which I had gotten my tourist voucher gave me the wrong information about which number was the reference number. However the official was relatively nice and apologetic and suggested that if I went to Staples or somewhere with internet access and a printer and could fix the mistake I could come back between 2 and 3. I didn't do this so I don't know for sure if they would accept visa applications between 2 and 3. In any event, if I could have submitted my application, I could have picked up my visa in 10 business days (regualr processing) or 3 business days (expedited). I would have had to leave my passport there and the pick up is not at the consulate but at the Invisa Logistics Services office on Maiden Lane. I decided to go through a visa service rather than try my luck in person again. Hope someone may find this useful. Happy to answer any questions if I can.
Recent visa experience with Russian consulate in NY
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Updated ATM info for Greece and Turkey
- 2 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 3 Spain, best travel route between Madrid & Barcelona?
- 4 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 5 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 6 Need Advice: 9 Days in Portugal in March
- 7 Weekend in Norfolk
- 8 Verona/Vicenza/Trieste--Best Place to Pick up Rental Car for Croatia
- 9 Riva del Garda to Rome
- 10 If you are looking for a good restaurant in Lisbon..
- 11 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 12 Burgundy in May
- 13 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 14 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 15 NEED ADVICE: 2 Months in Italy, 1 Month through Spain, Greece, and France
- 16 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 17 St Germain
- 18 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 19 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 20 Pisa/Lucca Day Trip
- 21 3 Countries - Bar Trip - need advice
- 22 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 23 A Greek sojourn
- 24 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 25 Italy travelogue, Part III (Positano & the Amalfi Coast)