Whenever I go away I try to read literature based on or at my destination, for example when I went to Sardinia I packed Sea and Sardinia by DH Lawrence. I find that reading these books when travelling through a place really brings them to life.
A friend just wrote a blog post for me ( http://loco2.com/blog/2012/06/great-railway-journeys-train-books/ ) on rail journeys inspired by novels and it got me thinking there must be lots of books featuring trains/railways that I am not familiar with.
I wondered whether there are any other books featuring trains or train journeys that you know of that you can recommend? I tagged this with some destinations but really I'm thinking Europe wide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 2 International Flight Question
- 3 Luggage Storage
- 4 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 5 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 6 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 7 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 8 Brugge hotel help
- 9 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 10 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 11 Island hopping Croatia - into nature/hiking
- 12 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 13 Another tipping question: concierges
- 14 Trip suggestion
- 15 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 16 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 17 Back from Paris
- 18 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 19 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 20 Musee Carnavalet closed for now
- 21 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 22 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 23 NOT our first trip to Ireland
- 24 What to wear to wedding in Sweden
- 25 One day on the Amalfi coast