Whenever I go away I try to read literature based on or at my destination, for example when I went to Sardinia I packed Sea and Sardinia by DH Lawrence. I find that reading these books when travelling through a place really brings them to life.
A friend just wrote a blog post for me ( http://loco2.com/blog/2012/06/great-railway-journeys-train-books/ ) on rail journeys inspired by novels and it got me thinking there must be lots of books featuring trains/railways that I am not familiar with.
I wondered whether there are any other books featuring trains or train journeys that you know of that you can recommend? I tagged this with some destinations but really I'm thinking Europe wide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 2 Where to Begin If You're Ending in Amsterdam
- 3 Another Book List for Italy
- 4 8-9 day Paris-Amsterdam-Rome
- 5 18-19 day Budapest -Croatia itinerary
- 6 Charming hotel in a village along the Rhine?
- 7 Last night in Sweden
- 8 Best Itinerary for 15 Days?
- 9 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 10 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 11 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 12 PARIS: Mini Trip Report, Maxi Enjoyment!
- 13 charming cities in Spain
- 14 Venice
- 15 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 16 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 17 Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 18 Itinerary Help for Portugal
- 19 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 20 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 21 Berlin, Nice and London
- 22 Seeking advice from Tuscany experts
- 23 Navigating England's Coast to Coast walk
- 24 Day in Madrid
- 25 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...