Whenever I go away I try to read literature based on or at my destination, for example when I went to Sardinia I packed Sea and Sardinia by DH Lawrence. I find that reading these books when travelling through a place really brings them to life.
A friend just wrote a blog post for me ( http://loco2.com/blog/2012/06/great-railway-journeys-train-books/ ) on rail journeys inspired by novels and it got me thinking there must be lots of books featuring trains/railways that I am not familiar with.
I wondered whether there are any other books featuring trains or train journeys that you know of that you can recommend? I tagged this with some destinations but really I'm thinking Europe wide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London 6 day itinerary
- 2 Inside the Red Light District so you don't have to be
- 3 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 4 FIndng Vintage French Workwear in Paris
- 5 free international phone calls
- 6 International drivers permit
- 7 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 8 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 9 Any itinerary hints for Prague
- 10 France Study Abroad
- 11 Early morning flight Venice/VCE
- 12 Paris and Normandy
- 13 Sicily Beach Resort
- 14 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 15 Languedoc, Dordogne & Bordeaux Itinerary Expert Help Please
- 16 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 17 Two days in Rome
- 18 Classical Tour of Albania
- 19 First visit to London
- 20 One day in Berchtesgaden - what should we see
- 21 Anniversary trip to France
- 22 First family holiday to Europe & wanting advice
- 23 Austria + Italy 10 Days places to visit in July
- 24 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 25 Where to stay - Honeymoon in Southern Tuscany