Whenever I go away I try to read literature based on or at my destination, for example when I went to Sardinia I packed Sea and Sardinia by DH Lawrence. I find that reading these books when travelling through a place really brings them to life.
A friend just wrote a blog post for me ( http://loco2.com/blog/2012/06/great-railway-journeys-train-books/ ) on rail journeys inspired by novels and it got me thinking there must be lots of books featuring trains/railways that I am not familiar with.
I wondered whether there are any other books featuring trains or train journeys that you know of that you can recommend? I tagged this with some destinations but really I'm thinking Europe wide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 2 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 3 Saas Fee Cycling (and bike Rental)
- 4 What is the best travel insurance company?
- 5 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 6 Thrift Stores in Paris
- 7 Portugal by Train or Car?
- 8 Things to do in Montpellier
- 9 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 10 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 11 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 12 Lucerne and Innsbruck
- 13 3 week trip with children
- 14 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 15 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 16 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 17 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 18 Italy in 11 Days
- 19 dinner jackets
- 20 French election
- 21 Leather goods in Florence
- 22 Piedmont as a destination
- 23 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 24 Planning trip to Barcelona. Madrid and Tossa Del Mar
- 25 Uffizi and Accademia Gallery Florence