Whenever I go away I try to read literature based on or at my destination, for example when I went to Sardinia I packed Sea and Sardinia by DH Lawrence. I find that reading these books when travelling through a place really brings them to life.
A friend just wrote a blog post for me ( http://loco2.com/blog/2012/06/great-railway-journeys-train-books/ ) on rail journeys inspired by novels and it got me thinking there must be lots of books featuring trains/railways that I am not familiar with.
I wondered whether there are any other books featuring trains or train journeys that you know of that you can recommend? I tagged this with some destinations but really I'm thinking Europe wide.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Berlin to ?
- 2 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 3 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 4 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 5 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 6 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 7 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 8 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 9 8 days in st Remy - surprise trip for hubby
- 10 Greece
- 11 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 12 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 13 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 14 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 15 Stuck in Paris
- 16 Spain - day driver advice
- 17 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 18 Buenos Aires, Argentina or Lisbon Portugal
- 19 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 20 Renting a car in Greece
- 21 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 22 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 23 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 24 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 25 Paris hotel