says a report from Man in Seat 61, the current guru of European trains - on his site - as of December, with advent of winter schedules there will be no overnight trains between Rome and Florence and Paris - the Venice to Paris trains will continue to run, for now.
Poor service and a low occupancy rate - 30% Man in Seat 61 says - doomed the service.
So for all those folks during the past several months I said could take an overnight train between Rome and Florence and Paris - saving time and a night in a hotel cost, not possible on this route after wingter schedules come into effect this December.
And I lament this turn of events - I have ridden zillions of overnight trains all over Europe and love them for their utilitarian nature and also they are always an adventure - especially in couchettes where strangers and sexes are mixed in together - you never know who your compartment mates will be - mainly I've had some great experiences and conversations along with some fiascoes - but generally nice folk - though you can no longer hop a night train between Rome and Florence to Paris there are still zillions of overnight trains running in Europe.
Consider them for an adventure if you've never taken any!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Open mindedness on Fodors.
- 2 Beaches in Southern France
- 3 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 4 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 5 Tuscany Villa rental family of 8/10
- 6 What am I missing: Amsterdam
- 7 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 8 Italy, transport from Assiso to Cita di castello
- 9 Spanish leather -- women's leather vest
- 10 3 days to spend in europe
- 11 Local markets in Italy
- 12 French lavender and cottages
- 13 Bead Tours in Jablonec?
- 14 cell phone companys
- 15 Affordable French language course in France?
- 16 Abruzzo region
- 17 First time in London...hotel for mother/daughter trip?
- 18 Major quake in central Itay
- 19 Cotswald boutique hotel recommendations
- 20 Celebrity Reflection Greek Island Cruise
- 21 Barcelona completely overrated
- 22 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 23 Guides - Matera
- 24 A Vote for Malta: Most Rude.
- 25 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
Rail News: Rome/Florence to Paris Night Trains to Be Scrubbed...