says a report from Man in Seat 61, the current guru of European trains - on his site - as of December, with advent of winter schedules there will be no overnight trains between Rome and Florence and Paris - the Venice to Paris trains will continue to run, for now.
Poor service and a low occupancy rate - 30% Man in Seat 61 says - doomed the service.
So for all those folks during the past several months I said could take an overnight train between Rome and Florence and Paris - saving time and a night in a hotel cost, not possible on this route after wingter schedules come into effect this December.
And I lament this turn of events - I have ridden zillions of overnight trains all over Europe and love them for their utilitarian nature and also they are always an adventure - especially in couchettes where strangers and sexes are mixed in together - you never know who your compartment mates will be - mainly I've had some great experiences and conversations along with some fiascoes - but generally nice folk - though you can no longer hop a night train between Rome and Florence to Paris there are still zillions of overnight trains running in Europe.
Consider them for an adventure if you've never taken any!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece or Spain in late November - December with a baby
- 2 A few more questions about Brittany
- 3 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 4 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 5 Travelogue of our trip to Southern Italy
- 6 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 7 Airports in France - help with transport between them
- 8 Sweet villages to base in La Rioja
- 9 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 10 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 11 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 12 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 13 Italy apps or guidebooks
- 14 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 15 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 16 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 17 Where to stay outsiiide of Florence
- 18 Late December in eastern France / western Germany—where to go?
- 19 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 20 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 21 Greece mainland and islands for 3 weeks
- 22 Madrid & Andalusia in 6 days??
- 23 4 days each in London and Paris
- 24 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 25 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
Rail News: Rome/Florence to Paris Night Trains to Be Scrubbed...