says a report from Man in Seat 61, the current guru of European trains - on his site - as of December, with advent of winter schedules there will be no overnight trains between Rome and Florence and Paris - the Venice to Paris trains will continue to run, for now.
Poor service and a low occupancy rate - 30% Man in Seat 61 says - doomed the service.
So for all those folks during the past several months I said could take an overnight train between Rome and Florence and Paris - saving time and a night in a hotel cost, not possible on this route after wingter schedules come into effect this December.
And I lament this turn of events - I have ridden zillions of overnight trains all over Europe and love them for their utilitarian nature and also they are always an adventure - especially in couchettes where strangers and sexes are mixed in together - you never know who your compartment mates will be - mainly I've had some great experiences and conversations along with some fiascoes - but generally nice folk - though you can no longer hop a night train between Rome and Florence to Paris there are still zillions of overnight trains running in Europe.
Consider them for an adventure if you've never taken any!
Rail News: Rome/Florence to Paris Night Trains to Be Scrubbed...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mailing prescription meds to France?
- 2 Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)
- 3 Driving from London to Scotland.
- 4 Thello Train Ticket - Oct 11 - Paris to Venice - "temporarily closed"
- 5 Determing Location of FIRST BIG TRIP - Where do go in Italy?
- 6 where to stay in Germany
- 7 First trip we lost a car, this trip we lose a lady
- 8 FIRST TRIP TO PARIS/ITALY
- 9 Christmas Market 2014 Itinerary help
- 10 Barcelona apartment input, please
- 11 Majorca - where to stay?
- 12 Basel - Day Trip
- 13 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 14 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 15 Spending money in Italy?
- 16 Driving Holiday Austria-Switzerland-Italy/Germany-Austria
- 17 Train pass for travel in Italy, France, and Netherlands??
- 18 How to make this adventure work?
- 19 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 20 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 21 Moving to Bayswater (London) - How is the neighborhood?
- 22 There Nights in Paris - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 23 There Nights in London - Lodging, Tour, Places
- 24 I went to Paris in June
- 25 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe