says a report from Man in Seat 61, the current guru of European trains - on his site - as of December, with advent of winter schedules there will be no overnight trains between Rome and Florence and Paris - the Venice to Paris trains will continue to run, for now.
Poor service and a low occupancy rate - 30% Man in Seat 61 says - doomed the service.
So for all those folks during the past several months I said could take an overnight train between Rome and Florence and Paris - saving time and a night in a hotel cost, not possible on this route after wingter schedules come into effect this December.
And I lament this turn of events - I have ridden zillions of overnight trains all over Europe and love them for their utilitarian nature and also they are always an adventure - especially in couchettes where strangers and sexes are mixed in together - you never know who your compartment mates will be - mainly I've had some great experiences and conversations along with some fiascoes - but generally nice folk - though you can no longer hop a night train between Rome and Florence to Paris there are still zillions of overnight trains running in Europe.
Consider them for an adventure if you've never taken any!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London with Teens Trip Report
- 2 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 3 Ex-pats with young kids
- 4 David's Abbreviated Iceland Trip Report
- 5 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 6 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 7 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 8 Schlipol Airport/Amsterdam/question
- 9 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 10 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 11 Hotels in Turin
- 12 Just 1 or 2 or 3 days in Rome? Here are free self guided itineraries
- 13 Romania: Putting together a 7-day itinerary
- 14 Dolomites Sept 2017 express bus schedules
- 15 Help on ancient history route
- 16 Surprise 30th Birthday Trip... ideas?
- 17 Lake Como- Which villa has the best garden?
- 18 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 19 Best Viking Sites
- 20 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 21 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 22 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 23 Greece
- 24 Madrid, Andalusia and possibly Tangiers
- 25 Paris advice with kids
Rail News: Rome/Florence to Paris Night Trains to Be Scrubbed...