says a report from Man in Seat 61, the current guru of European trains - on his site - as of December, with advent of winter schedules there will be no overnight trains between Rome and Florence and Paris - the Venice to Paris trains will continue to run, for now.
Poor service and a low occupancy rate - 30% Man in Seat 61 says - doomed the service.
So for all those folks during the past several months I said could take an overnight train between Rome and Florence and Paris - saving time and a night in a hotel cost, not possible on this route after wingter schedules come into effect this December.
And I lament this turn of events - I have ridden zillions of overnight trains all over Europe and love them for their utilitarian nature and also they are always an adventure - especially in couchettes where strangers and sexes are mixed in together - you never know who your compartment mates will be - mainly I've had some great experiences and conversations along with some fiascoes - but generally nice folk - though you can no longer hop a night train between Rome and Florence to Paris there are still zillions of overnight trains running in Europe.
Consider them for an adventure if you've never taken any!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 2 Meteora for older folk
- 3 Petrol in Greece
- 4 Renaissance Paris Vendome
- 5 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 6 Germany train help!
- 7 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 8 Hotels for 6 25 year old guys - Paris and London
- 9 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 10 FOCUS ON FRANCE: Paris and South of France
- 11 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 12 Liverpool & Beatles port tour
- 13 Train help for Prague
- 14 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 15 Budapest & Prague
- 16 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 17 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 18 Paris day trips August
- 19 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 20 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 21 Acorn TV
- 22 Spain in July
- 23 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 24 Athens
- 25 Transportation from Brno train station
Rail News: Rome/Florence to Paris Night Trains to Be Scrubbed...