says a report from Man in Seat 61, the current guru of European trains - on his site - as of December, with advent of winter schedules there will be no overnight trains between Rome and Florence and Paris - the Venice to Paris trains will continue to run, for now.
Poor service and a low occupancy rate - 30% Man in Seat 61 says - doomed the service.
So for all those folks during the past several months I said could take an overnight train between Rome and Florence and Paris - saving time and a night in a hotel cost, not possible on this route after wingter schedules come into effect this December.
And I lament this turn of events - I have ridden zillions of overnight trains all over Europe and love them for their utilitarian nature and also they are always an adventure - especially in couchettes where strangers and sexes are mixed in together - you never know who your compartment mates will be - mainly I've had some great experiences and conversations along with some fiascoes - but generally nice folk - though you can no longer hop a night train between Rome and Florence to Paris there are still zillions of overnight trains running in Europe.
Consider them for an adventure if you've never taken any!
Rail News: Rome/Florence to Paris Night Trains to Be Scrubbed...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A week in Sicily doable or not?
- 2 "Untours" as a tour guide
- 3 Help me find a Villa in Val D'Orcia this Summer!
- 4 Spain in 17 days
- 5 Question about Tallinin and Riga.
- 6 Advice for Venice/Rome Trip
- 7 Car travel from Munich-Fussen-Bad Ragaz-Interlaken: Roads?
- 8 2-week Central/Eastern Europe itinerary questions
- 9 Great Britain Car Tour Help!
- 10 Help re: Driving from Venice Airport to Kobarid, Slovenia
- 11 Slow, south of france with a baby, a five year old and no driving
- 12 London, Vienna, Prague - theater recommendations
- 13 Which Car to book at CDG in May 2015? Do you get Complimentary Upgrade?
- 14 Spain in 17 days
- 15 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 16 German Wings
- 17 Mykonos plus another Island. Which one?
- 18 Renting a car after train to Florence
- 19 Baltic Cruise Great Success. Short time in ports of Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Oslo, Brussels, Amsterdam. Thank you Fodorites!
- 20 November to Netherlands and Belgium?
- 21 Please Help with Destination City In Belgium
- 22 Help plan my honeymoon! Northern Spain, and/or Lisbon or Bordeaux
- 23 Arrive in Paris early am, no check-in/luggage drop until pm. Options?
- 24 One day in Black Forest by car
- 25 Preliminary Italy Plans- September 2015