says a report from Man in Seat 61, the current guru of European trains - on his site - as of December, with advent of winter schedules there will be no overnight trains between Rome and Florence and Paris - the Venice to Paris trains will continue to run, for now.
Poor service and a low occupancy rate - 30% Man in Seat 61 says - doomed the service.
So for all those folks during the past several months I said could take an overnight train between Rome and Florence and Paris - saving time and a night in a hotel cost, not possible on this route after wingter schedules come into effect this December.
And I lament this turn of events - I have ridden zillions of overnight trains all over Europe and love them for their utilitarian nature and also they are always an adventure - especially in couchettes where strangers and sexes are mixed in together - you never know who your compartment mates will be - mainly I've had some great experiences and conversations along with some fiascoes - but generally nice folk - though you can no longer hop a night train between Rome and Florence to Paris there are still zillions of overnight trains running in Europe.
Consider them for an adventure if you've never taken any!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://www.ibwpro.com/angele-cream
- 2 Reputable Apartment Company in Granada
- 3 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 4 Lay over time
- 5 want to come to Sweden Harnosand.
- 6 Greek Islands (small)
- 7 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 8 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 9 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 10 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 11 Croatia - Help on itinerary
- 12 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 13 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 14 Connection time of 1:25 in Zurich on flight from US. Enough time?
- 15 Flat in London
- 16 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 17 Help required with Itinerary
- 18 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 19 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 20 Spain in December
- 21 Amalfi Coast transportation
- 22 Day trips: which ones are must-do?
- 23 Dubrovnik + island or Kotor?
- 24 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 25 Skye to Edinburgh
Rail News: Rome/Florence to Paris Night Trains to Be Scrubbed...