says a report from Man in Seat 61, the current guru of European trains - on his site - as of December, with advent of winter schedules there will be no overnight trains between Rome and Florence and Paris - the Venice to Paris trains will continue to run, for now.
Poor service and a low occupancy rate - 30% Man in Seat 61 says - doomed the service.
So for all those folks during the past several months I said could take an overnight train between Rome and Florence and Paris - saving time and a night in a hotel cost, not possible on this route after wingter schedules come into effect this December.
And I lament this turn of events - I have ridden zillions of overnight trains all over Europe and love them for their utilitarian nature and also they are always an adventure - especially in couchettes where strangers and sexes are mixed in together - you never know who your compartment mates will be - mainly I've had some great experiences and conversations along with some fiascoes - but generally nice folk - though you can no longer hop a night train between Rome and Florence to Paris there are still zillions of overnight trains running in Europe.
Consider them for an adventure if you've never taken any!
Rail News: Rome/Florence to Paris Night Trains to Be Scrubbed...
- 1 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 2 A full week in The Netherlands
- 3 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 4 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 5 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 6 Madrid to Sevilla
- 7 Ireland in a week
- 8 Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station
- 9 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 10 Dawdling Through the Dordogne
- 11 Le Marche and Rome - Part 3 - Recanati
- 12 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 13 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 14 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 15 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 16 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 17 To Paris and Provence in June
- 18 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 19 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 20 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 21 Going to Puglia, I hope
- 22 7 days in Andalucia
- 23 Travelling to Amalfi Coast in April 2014
- 24 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 25 Venice passes....confusing as heck!