We are a 30-something couple from Scotland, looking for advice on planning rail travel around northern Italy.
Trains to/from UK already booked, arriving in Italy on 13th July and departing on 25th July, so that leaves us 11 nights to fill in the blanks.
Our interests on this trip include good food & drink, Renaissance art & architecture, UNESCO world heritage sites, museums, parks, gardens.
Current rough itinerary is as follows. Does this seem too ambitious for the number of days available? Are all these easily accessible by train (or bus/taxi)?
- Paris 1 night (already booked)
- Zurich 1 night (already booked)
• Bernina Express through Alps
- Lecco 1 night (already booked)
• Cruise Lake Como, visit Bellagio
- Bologna 2-3 nights (is this a good base for Emilia-Romagna?)
• Day trips to Parma, Modena, Po Delta?
• Foodie tours – Parmesan cheese, Parma ham, Balsamic vinegar
• Visit Lamborghini factory (possibly Ferrari factory museum too)
- Florence 3-4 nights
• Day trips to Pisa, Lucca? Is Assisi worth a detour?
- San Gimignano / Siena 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
- La Spezia 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
• Walk Cinque Terre
- Milan 3-4 nights
• Expo 2015
- London 1 night (already booked)
Originally, we had also considered Venice and other areas in Veneto, but now think time may be too tight for this; plus Venice will be worth a dedicated visit another time.
Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed, including places to eat/drink/be merry! Thanks
Neil & Fiona
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 (Repost) Overall cost of three weeks in Scotland??
- 2 Split, Croatia Itinerary help
- 3 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 4 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 5 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 6 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 7 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 8 Car rental companies - why so many negative reviews?
- 9 Iceland rental camper company
- 10 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 11 southeast sicily town as home base
- 12 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 13 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 14 Chania
- 15 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 16 Incredibly Beautiful, Fira, Greece
- 17 Theoxenia on Santorini
- 18 Spanish food - not that special?
- 19 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 20 Rome travel book, Nice extra
- 21 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 22 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 23 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 24 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 25 Booking Irish Rail ticket