We are a 30-something couple from Scotland, looking for advice on planning rail travel around northern Italy.
Trains to/from UK already booked, arriving in Italy on 13th July and departing on 25th July, so that leaves us 11 nights to fill in the blanks.
Our interests on this trip include good food & drink, Renaissance art & architecture, UNESCO world heritage sites, museums, parks, gardens.
Current rough itinerary is as follows. Does this seem too ambitious for the number of days available? Are all these easily accessible by train (or bus/taxi)?
- Paris 1 night (already booked)
- Zurich 1 night (already booked)
• Bernina Express through Alps
- Lecco 1 night (already booked)
• Cruise Lake Como, visit Bellagio
- Bologna 2-3 nights (is this a good base for Emilia-Romagna?)
• Day trips to Parma, Modena, Po Delta?
• Foodie tours – Parmesan cheese, Parma ham, Balsamic vinegar
• Visit Lamborghini factory (possibly Ferrari factory museum too)
- Florence 3-4 nights
• Day trips to Pisa, Lucca? Is Assisi worth a detour?
- San Gimignano / Siena 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
- La Spezia 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
• Walk Cinque Terre
- Milan 3-4 nights
• Expo 2015
- London 1 night (already booked)
Originally, we had also considered Venice and other areas in Veneto, but now think time may be too tight for this; plus Venice will be worth a dedicated visit another time.
Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed, including places to eat/drink/be merry! Thanks
Neil & Fiona
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 2 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 3 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 4 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 5 New Law Regarding Vacation Rentals in Paris
- 6 4+ days in Lisbon over NYE, should we visit Sintra?
- 7 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 8 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 9 International Flight Question
- 10 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 11 Interesting places to visit
- 12 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 13 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 14 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 15 Dresden: How Many Nights?
- 16 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 17 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 18 Budapest in December 2017
- 19 Petrol in Greece
- 20 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 21 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 22 Ronda: cheap parking, where to find?
- 23 Dijon in December!
- 24 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 25 We're here!