We are a 30-something couple from Scotland, looking for advice on planning rail travel around northern Italy.
Trains to/from UK already booked, arriving in Italy on 13th July and departing on 25th July, so that leaves us 11 nights to fill in the blanks.
Our interests on this trip include good food & drink, Renaissance art & architecture, UNESCO world heritage sites, museums, parks, gardens.
Current rough itinerary is as follows. Does this seem too ambitious for the number of days available? Are all these easily accessible by train (or bus/taxi)?
- Paris 1 night (already booked)
- Zurich 1 night (already booked)
• Bernina Express through Alps
- Lecco 1 night (already booked)
• Cruise Lake Como, visit Bellagio
- Bologna 2-3 nights (is this a good base for Emilia-Romagna?)
• Day trips to Parma, Modena, Po Delta?
• Foodie tours – Parmesan cheese, Parma ham, Balsamic vinegar
• Visit Lamborghini factory (possibly Ferrari factory museum too)
- Florence 3-4 nights
• Day trips to Pisa, Lucca? Is Assisi worth a detour?
- San Gimignano / Siena 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
- La Spezia 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
• Walk Cinque Terre
- Milan 3-4 nights
• Expo 2015
- London 1 night (already booked)
Originally, we had also considered Venice and other areas in Veneto, but now think time may be too tight for this; plus Venice will be worth a dedicated visit another time.
Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed, including places to eat/drink/be merry! Thanks
Neil & Fiona
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 alcazar question and seville advice
- 2 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 3 Couscous
- 4 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 5 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 6 London is it worth it?
- 7 Lisbon
- 8 Area for a 2 Week Stay in Malaga
- 9 Tuscany Itinerary
- 10 driving from London to Lourdes
- 11 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 12 One day in Berchtesgaden - what should we see
- 13 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 14 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 15 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 16 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 17 Paris Restaurants esp in Marais
- 18 Places to stop/stay?
- 19 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 20 Visit to Sardinia
- 21 ATM
- 22 Seeking scenic route from Bala, Wales to london
- 23 TIM in FCO - update
- 24 Visa Query
- 25 London in Winter Report