We are a 30-something couple from Scotland, looking for advice on planning rail travel around northern Italy.
Trains to/from UK already booked, arriving in Italy on 13th July and departing on 25th July, so that leaves us 11 nights to fill in the blanks.
Our interests on this trip include good food & drink, Renaissance art & architecture, UNESCO world heritage sites, museums, parks, gardens.
Current rough itinerary is as follows. Does this seem too ambitious for the number of days available? Are all these easily accessible by train (or bus/taxi)?
- Paris 1 night (already booked)
- Zurich 1 night (already booked)
• Bernina Express through Alps
- Lecco 1 night (already booked)
• Cruise Lake Como, visit Bellagio
- Bologna 2-3 nights (is this a good base for Emilia-Romagna?)
• Day trips to Parma, Modena, Po Delta?
• Foodie tours – Parmesan cheese, Parma ham, Balsamic vinegar
• Visit Lamborghini factory (possibly Ferrari factory museum too)
- Florence 3-4 nights
• Day trips to Pisa, Lucca? Is Assisi worth a detour?
- San Gimignano / Siena 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
- La Spezia 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
• Walk Cinque Terre
- Milan 3-4 nights
• Expo 2015
- London 1 night (already booked)
Originally, we had also considered Venice and other areas in Veneto, but now think time may be too tight for this; plus Venice will be worth a dedicated visit another time.
Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed, including places to eat/drink/be merry! Thanks
Neil & Fiona
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Kaspersky Invalid Activation Code – UK helpline
- 2 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 3 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 4 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 5 3nights in Venice
- 6 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 7 multi city flights to europe
- 8 Europe itinerary questions
- 9 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 10 Earthquake near Naples
- 11 Munich itinerary review
- 12 13 nights in switzerland
- 13 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 14 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 15 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 16 Football Tickets - Athens
- 17 where to stay between Salamanca and Zaragoza?
- 18 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 19 Salzburg itinerary review
- 20 Positano or Sorrento?
- 21 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi
- 22 3 nights in the 10th Paris
- 23 Globus Iberian Tour
- 24 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 25 Paris in November