We are a 30-something couple from Scotland, looking for advice on planning rail travel around northern Italy.
Trains to/from UK already booked, arriving in Italy on 13th July and departing on 25th July, so that leaves us 11 nights to fill in the blanks.
Our interests on this trip include good food & drink, Renaissance art & architecture, UNESCO world heritage sites, museums, parks, gardens.
Current rough itinerary is as follows. Does this seem too ambitious for the number of days available? Are all these easily accessible by train (or bus/taxi)?
- Paris 1 night (already booked)
- Zurich 1 night (already booked)
• Bernina Express through Alps
- Lecco 1 night (already booked)
• Cruise Lake Como, visit Bellagio
- Bologna 2-3 nights (is this a good base for Emilia-Romagna?)
• Day trips to Parma, Modena, Po Delta?
• Foodie tours – Parmesan cheese, Parma ham, Balsamic vinegar
• Visit Lamborghini factory (possibly Ferrari factory museum too)
- Florence 3-4 nights
• Day trips to Pisa, Lucca? Is Assisi worth a detour?
- San Gimignano / Siena 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
- La Spezia 1 night (or as day trip from Florence instead?)
• Walk Cinque Terre
- Milan 3-4 nights
• Expo 2015
- London 1 night (already booked)
Originally, we had also considered Venice and other areas in Veneto, but now think time may be too tight for this; plus Venice will be worth a dedicated visit another time.
Any and all comments/suggestions welcomed, including places to eat/drink/be merry! Thanks
Neil & Fiona
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 2 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 3 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 4 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 5 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 6 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 7 Planning A trip
- 8 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 9 Driving through Paris
- 10 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 11 Watch Full Empire Season 4 Episode 4 s04e04 Online
- 12 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 13 Watch-Full Empire Season 4 Episode 4 s04e04 Online. watch
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 16 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 17 Bruges
- 18 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 19 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 20 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 21 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 22 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 23 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 24 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 25 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets