Planning our first ever visit to Europe. Five nights in Paris followed by three or four nights in the Loire Valley. I have wanted to see the chateaux ever since I learned about them in high school French (a long time ago!).
We are renting self catering apartments (plan is first half France, second half Italy). I have a couple of choices in the Loire Valley picked out, but I'm agonizing over the decision. I originally chose Amboise as our base city, but my friend who's visited a few times says that may be too "citified" for us. We will have a car. Then I read about the village of Montresor. The idea is, we will explore during the days and then come home and create a meal on our little terrace. Perhaps we may wander back out for a nightcap or a meal one nights, so although we like our privacy, don't want to be totally isolated. We also plan on renting a couple of bikes to do some of the exploring...what are your thoughts?.
Here is our pick for Amboise:
And look what I found in Montresor:
Thanks in advance!
Quick Question on First Time Visit to Loire Valley
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 2 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 3 Bavaria: Santa Claus and Evil Twin Krampus!
- 4 Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord with limitations?
- 5 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 6 Andalucia - very early trip thinking - reactions?
- 7 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 8 Luggage storage in Barcelona
- 9 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 10 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 11 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 12 American Express
- 13 Airport ATMs
- 14 Bayonne or St Jean de Luz
- 15 Three ferries to Mull
- 16 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 17 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 18 Christmas markets: E Germany, Poland, Prague
- 19 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 20 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 21 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 22 All Set To Go!!
- 23 Our October trip to Andalucia!
- 24 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 25 Accommodations in or near Brussels with parking