My husband and I will be heading to Ireland in about a month for one week. We fly in to Dublin & will spend two days there (we've all been before and are really only stopping there at all for the Penn State football game). We will then leave there and have a driver take us to Cork, where we are staying at Hayfield Manor. We'll be there from Sunday to Tuesday - any suggestions for us?
A bit about our group - we, first and foremost, love to eat and drink, so that's our priority. We also love taking in Irish culture (listening to live music, meeting locals). Not big on churches & overly historical stuff. And, while we're not major outdoorsmen, we do appreciate beautiful scenery and taking in our surroundings through an activity (like a boat tour). My Mom has a bad knee, so no hikes for us!
From Cork, we'll leave Tuesday morning and we have a few days before we're due back in Dublin on Thursday night. If we're looking to stay East of Cork as we make our way back to Dublin, where would you stay for 2.5 days? We LOVED Galway, and are looking for something similar - a quaint, charming town that's got less of a city vibe and more of a small village feel, but that still has enough options for us at night for dinner and music. We will still have our driver/guide to take local day trips, but we're looking to pick our second "home base" ourselves.
Any suggestions you have are welcome, and we appreciate your guidance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 2 Need advice on the place to visit in Prague
- 3 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 4 Looking for an apartment to rent. Better than hotel?
- 5 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 6 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 7 Notes on our Edinburgh trip (end of May 2017)
- 8 Belfast leading up to July 12
- 9 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 10 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 11 Edinbrugh
- 12 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 13 Maximizing Norway time
- 14 TR-Croatia and Italy. A bit long but it's all here in one post.
- 15 TravelCard vs Oyster
- 16 Hiking in Switzerland
- 17 Best layover option
- 18 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 19 Spanish Civil War Tour in Barcelona
- 20 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 21 Berlin
- 22 Ideas for drive from Munich to Ramstein/Kaiserslautern to Garmisch
- 23 Scotland: North West Highlands: July 2012
- 24 3 days solo in London
- 25 Info for Edinburgh visit