Good day, Otherchelebi,
I will be traveling to Istanbul for the first time in November and have been reading trip reports on Fodors as well as on other forums. I have read your comments with great interest and would like to ask you a few questions, if you don’t mind.
I would love to visit a jazz club and from your comments you have been to many of them. Would you be able to recommend one or two of them?
In response to a trip report from 2009, you mentioned neighborhoods such as Nisantasi, Sisli, Gayrettepe, Ulus, Levent, Bebek, Ayaspasa, and others. I would very much like to visit local neighborhoods. Is there a neighborhood that you would recommend over another for a first time visitor? Also, would it be easy to take a tram or train to these neighborhoods?
Outside of the major mosques and museums (Ayasofya, Blue Mosque, etc), are there smaller mosques that you would recommend visiting?
And finally, transportation. For the life of me, I’m having trouble understanding the Akbil. In your opinion is that worth obtaining?
I am an older, female, solo, AA traveler who likes to experience different cultures and experiences. Like many before me, I plan to stay in the Sultanahmet to be close to the major attractions. However, I’d like to spend a couple of days and get off the tourist path.
Any advice would be very welcome and much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 2 Chilling in the Aeolian Islands
- 3 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 4 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 5 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 6 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 7 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 8 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 9 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 10 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 11 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 12 Things to do in Brussels
- 13 Madrid airport question
- 14 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 15 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 16 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 17 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 18 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 19 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 20 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 21 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 22 38 Days in Paris
- 23 Naxos car rental
- 24 Greek Islands (small)
- 25 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
Good day, Otherchelebi,