Good day, Otherchelebi,
I will be traveling to Istanbul for the first time in November and have been reading trip reports on Fodors as well as on other forums. I have read your comments with great interest and would like to ask you a few questions, if you don’t mind.
I would love to visit a jazz club and from your comments you have been to many of them. Would you be able to recommend one or two of them?
In response to a trip report from 2009, you mentioned neighborhoods such as Nisantasi, Sisli, Gayrettepe, Ulus, Levent, Bebek, Ayaspasa, and others. I would very much like to visit local neighborhoods. Is there a neighborhood that you would recommend over another for a first time visitor? Also, would it be easy to take a tram or train to these neighborhoods?
Outside of the major mosques and museums (Ayasofya, Blue Mosque, etc), are there smaller mosques that you would recommend visiting?
And finally, transportation. For the life of me, I’m having trouble understanding the Akbil. In your opinion is that worth obtaining?
I am an older, female, solo, AA traveler who likes to experience different cultures and experiences. Like many before me, I plan to stay in the Sultanahmet to be close to the major attractions. However, I’d like to spend a couple of days and get off the tourist path.
Any advice would be very welcome and much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome to Naples/Pompeii
- 2 20 year anniversary trip to Scotland
- 3 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 4 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 5 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 6 Edinburgh's Fringe Festival...A Most Unique and Eclectic Event!
- 7 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 8 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 9 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 10 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 11 Tours vs solo travel (want to see as much as possible in 3-4 months)
- 12 Oyster card?
- 13 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi
- 14 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 15 London Theater
- 16 multi city flights to europe
- 17 Staying in Madrid for one night?
- 18 3 week italy itinerary coming along! now need help with car/trains please
- 19 Switzerland in September
- 20 Milan and Lake Como
- 21 9 day Trip to Scotland
- 22 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 23 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 24 Capital One 360 Card -- Fees for Cash Withdrawal?
- 25 Shorts in South of France?
Good day, Otherchelebi,