Good day, Otherchelebi,
I will be traveling to Istanbul for the first time in November and have been reading trip reports on Fodors as well as on other forums. I have read your comments with great interest and would like to ask you a few questions, if you don’t mind.
I would love to visit a jazz club and from your comments you have been to many of them. Would you be able to recommend one or two of them?
In response to a trip report from 2009, you mentioned neighborhoods such as Nisantasi, Sisli, Gayrettepe, Ulus, Levent, Bebek, Ayaspasa, and others. I would very much like to visit local neighborhoods. Is there a neighborhood that you would recommend over another for a first time visitor? Also, would it be easy to take a tram or train to these neighborhoods?
Outside of the major mosques and museums (Ayasofya, Blue Mosque, etc), are there smaller mosques that you would recommend visiting?
And finally, transportation. For the life of me, I’m having trouble understanding the Akbil. In your opinion is that worth obtaining?
I am an older, female, solo, AA traveler who likes to experience different cultures and experiences. Like many before me, I plan to stay in the Sultanahmet to be close to the major attractions. However, I’d like to spend a couple of days and get off the tourist path.
Any advice would be very welcome and much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 2 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 3 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 4 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 5 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 6 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 7 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 8 Spain - day driver advice
- 9 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 10 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 11 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 12 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 13 8 days in st Remy - surprise trip for hubby
- 14 London with Teens Trip Report
- 15 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 16 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 17 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 18 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 19 Berlin to ?
- 20 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 21 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 22 Greece
- 23 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 24 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 25 Stuck in Paris
Good day, Otherchelebi,