Good day, Otherchelebi,
I will be traveling to Istanbul for the first time in November and have been reading trip reports on Fodors as well as on other forums. I have read your comments with great interest and would like to ask you a few questions, if you don’t mind.
I would love to visit a jazz club and from your comments you have been to many of them. Would you be able to recommend one or two of them?
In response to a trip report from 2009, you mentioned neighborhoods such as Nisantasi, Sisli, Gayrettepe, Ulus, Levent, Bebek, Ayaspasa, and others. I would very much like to visit local neighborhoods. Is there a neighborhood that you would recommend over another for a first time visitor? Also, would it be easy to take a tram or train to these neighborhoods?
Outside of the major mosques and museums (Ayasofya, Blue Mosque, etc), are there smaller mosques that you would recommend visiting?
And finally, transportation. For the life of me, I’m having trouble understanding the Akbil. In your opinion is that worth obtaining?
I am an older, female, solo, AA traveler who likes to experience different cultures and experiences. Like many before me, I plan to stay in the Sultanahmet to be close to the major attractions. However, I’d like to spend a couple of days and get off the tourist path.
Any advice would be very welcome and much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 12-14 nights enough ?
- 2 Edam, Volendam & Marken day trip?
- 3 Western/Central Europe Itinerary help
- 4 Need help with my itinerary
- 5 itinerary planning apps
- 6 Lucerne to Rome on Swiss pass
- 7 Dijon RAVE - My Home in Dijon
- 8 Hurry to France before it loses it's frenchness
- 9 2 Weeks In and out of Paris...Itinerary Help?
- 10 Mt. Etna wakes up
- 11 France is losing the core of its historic provincial towns
- 12 Help me plan a 2 week trip to London and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival!
- 13 Transpennine Express-Ticket/No Seat Res
- 14 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 15 Bring US appliances to Germany?
- 16 Tuscany Trip
- 17 Calling all Iceland mavens.
- 18 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 19 Best way to get to Kinderdijk in April
- 20 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 21 Where to go in Warsaw and Krakow?
- 22 Updated Southern Croatia Trip (recommendations please)
- 23 5 Days in Bernese Oberland
- 24 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 25 8ish days Zurich to Como...
Good day, Otherchelebi,