i have a very specific question directed at fellow canadians who are also bank of montreal customers.
i have read through several threads about withdrawing cash in paris/europe instead of carrying euros from home.
i called BMO today and they told me that if i withdraw money from a foreign bank machine, i will be charged BMO's exchange rate. i compared BMO's exchange rate against XE.com and found that BMO's is about 5-7% higher than the 'real' rate.
if what the rep is telling me is true, then it doesn't seem like there would be any financial advantage in waiting until i got to paris to make any cash withdrawals from local ATMs.
can anyone help me suss this one out? i'm not sure if i spoke with a misinformed agent.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 2 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 3 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 4 Couscous
- 5 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 6 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 7 Cartagena Spain
- 8 Snowmobile tracks in Lapland
- 9 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 10 Trip to Switzerland
- 11 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 12 Itinery help Crete
- 13 CULINARY EXPLORING IN MADRID, SEVILLA, GAUCIN AND MALAGA
- 14 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 15 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 16 BA flights canceled until 18:00 local
- 17 TIM in FCO - update
- 18 Threat Level in UK
- 19 Driving a rental car from Croatia to Slovenia
- 20 London in Winter Report
- 21 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- 22 June Honeymoon in Greek Islands
- 23 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 24 3 nights in Madrid
- 25 S. Kensington London Restaurants
question for bank of montreal customers - withdrawing in paris/europe