I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 2 Musee D'Orsay or the Louvre
- 3 Need help for itinerary with 4 yr old
- 4 If Greece exits
- 5 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 6 Help! College daughter's 1st day in Nerja, Spain/converter broke!!
- 7 Spanish air controllers strikes in July 2015
- 8 Traveling around Castile-Leon
- 9 10 days in July-Aug with kids - Switzerland and Italy
- 10 South of France - a big place... looking for advice!
- 11 Seeking help on my 12 days trip from Switzerland to Austria
- 12 Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya
- 13 Is my Scotland itinerary doable?
- 14 Luggage in rental car while touring Normandie and Loire Valley
- 15 Germany to Austria in 11 days? Help!
- 16 8 nights Geneva to Zurich itinerary ideas
- 17 Paris Hotel - Hotel des Nations St-Germain , Le Méridien Etoile
- 18 1 day in the Black Forest
- 19 French Basque country
- 20 Italy on the Cheap (Mostly), May 2015
- 21 Rome Walking Guide
- 22 Travelling outside of Stockholm
- 23 Drumroll....I finally decided on a Roman Hotel!
- 24 I want to buy a European flat iron
- 25 Questions regarding currency exhange