I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland in November?
- 2 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 3 슈퍼카지노☢＼『 ＭＡＮ２４８。ZE。AM 』＼【슈퍼카지노】
- 4 슈퍼바카라☢＼『 ＭＡＮ２４８。ZE。AM 』＼【슈퍼카지노】
- 5 실시간카지노☢＼『 ＭＡＮ２４８。ZE。AM 』＼【슈퍼카지노】
- 6 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 7 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 8 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 9 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 10 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 11 Places of interest
- 12 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 13 A Month stay in Southern France
- 14 vienna
- 15 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 16 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 17 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 18 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 19 Ireland travel passport question
- 20 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 21 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 22 Oxford England Accommodations
- 23 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 24 Croatia transportation question.
- 25 Southern Germany - a base for travel