I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Question about the Dutch "IJ"
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome to Pisa or Bologna to Pisa-Train...Help needed!
- 2 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 3 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 4 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 5 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 6 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 7 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 8 Eurostar London to Avignon Thru Trains Start June 28!
- 9 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 10 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 11 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 12 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 13 Salzburg, Innsbruck, and possibly Graz with my 90yr old Mom
- 14 italy
- 15 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 16 Finland to Sweden to Denmark to France to UK
- 17 Croatia in August - 2 weeks, 2 kids
- 18 What still confounds you about travel?
- 19 Pre-Purchasing Train Tickets
- 20 FRANCE: SIM CARD
- 21 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 22 Planning first Solo Backpacking in Europe!
- 23 Chip but no PIN
- 24 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 25 Madrid and London