I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Please help with transportation suggestions in Belgium
- 2 Tours start Switzerland end London
- 3 Itinerary help needed for month in France.
- 4 Europe Trip 22 year olds
- 5 Help with Sapin and Portugal itinerary please
- 6 St. Petersburg: 5 days / Itineray questions
- 7 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 8 BritRail Pass Seat Reservation Cost
- 9 Southern Spain Recs for Honeymooners?
- 10 Swiss Pass upgrade for a route
- 11 Driving in Sicily: Help!
- 12 Sankt Goar to Cologne
- 13 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 14 Help with itinerary in Southern Italy in Maye
- 15 Sicily car rental: pickup, drop off, and size
- 16 Cordoba or Granada?
- 17 Early planning for Scotland. Itinerary thoughts?
- 18 Alhambra night tour tickets question / Seville Alcazar night tour
- 19 Geneva to Munich
- 20 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 21 Barcelona>Andalusia>Madrid...8 days with a pre-schooler
- 22 Dachstien Ice Caves
- 23 14 days in Europe: Paris, Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome
- 24 Iceland itinerary help
- 25 16 days loop Venice to Venice