I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Question about the Dutch "IJ"
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 2 Non touristy restaurants in Budapest and prague
- 3 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 4 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 5 Switzerland & Italian Riviera & Sardinia Summer 2014
- 6 Airbnb recommendations: London, Paris, Rome
- 7 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 8 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 9 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 10 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 11 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 12 Hotel in Venice
- 13 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 14 Looking for recommendations for trip insurance
- 15 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 16 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 17 Europe in 21 days
- 18 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 19 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 20 Question re. ToT Montserrat Ticket for day trip
- 21 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 22 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 23 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 24 Spain Questions
- 25 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam