I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Question about the Dutch "IJ"
- 1 Must-do Day Trips from London
- 2 Backpacking for the first time in 2014
- 3 Which tour company would be best?
- 4 Drive Rome Florence
- 5 How to make a phone call from a pay phone in London to Germany
- 6 I am Planning about to spend holidays at Windermere
- 7 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 8 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 9 Venice - another trip report (deja vu all over again)
- 10 Gatwick Express 5 for 3 -- available at Victoria station or only online?
- 11 Sights to see, places to stop in drive from Edinburgh to London
- 12 Barcelona - eat, drink, dance.
- 13 10 days in Barcelona - itinerary ideas?
- 14 EU Rule On Olive Oil Roils Europe!
- 15 Iwan2go went...to Prague, Salzburg, Vienna and Paris
- 16 10 days in Andalusia in Feb 2014 - best home base
- 17 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 18 Stay and Visit Italy/Amalfi and Grand Hotel Ischia Lido - Ischia
- 19 Northern Italy
- 20 May 24, 2013. How to avoid lines in Paris, and other observations
- 21 Spain and Portugal Itinerary 2 Week Vacation Help
- 22 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels
- 23 Hotel question...first time to Paris!
- 24 France by rail or car?
- 25 Best castle for 7 and 9 year old boys