I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Modica or Noto? So difficult to decide!
- 2 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 3 Need advice on Greek islands
- 4 Euro 2016 Football championship
- 5 Paris to the Past, by Ina Caro
- 6 Florence and Rome
- 7 10 Day Trip to Prague, Salzburg, Munich
- 8 London vacation, 1st time in UK
- 9 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 10 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 11 Twelve Nights: Venice, Bologna & Paris (plus Ravenna)
- 12 Netflix and Hulu
- 13 Sentimental Journey
- 14 Best route Stratford to Chatsworth House
- 15 How would you piece these together?Piedmont,Tuscany, Bologna, Umbria
- 16 ATM card woes in Dublin
- 17 Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest which to choose?
- 18 Amafi to Naples - private driver? Other options?
- 19 Where can I buy a gounded plug adapter for Switzerland?
- 20 Pickpocketing prevention tip
- 21 If you like to live your life in fear, read this
- 22 Como or Bellagio
- 23 Itinerary: Alesund to Bergen, or round-trip from Bergen?
- 24 5 days in switzerland
- 25 Switzerland Hotels