I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 2 Italy and Croatia in 20 days - I need a rough itinerary please
- 3 Ischia
- 4 What do after Bernia Express?
- 5 Germany family road trip help!
- 6 Info request: Road Trip Naples to Bari-Part 2
- 7 France, UK and Ireland
- 8 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 9 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 10 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 11 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 12 Rouen Tour Companies
- 13 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 14 No Periods in British Written English!
- 15 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 16 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 17 First time in London
- 18 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 19 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 20 Self drive tour companies
- 21 scotland
- 22 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 23 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 24 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 25 Barcelona