I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ravello to Paestum
- 2 What countries to visit in Europe (50 days) for teenagers
- 3 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 4 3 days to spend in europe
- 5 Renting bed linens and towels
- 6 Hike from Muotta Naluns
- 7 Pre-paid International Calling Cards
- 8 Amalfi Coast lodging
- 9 Amalfi coast
- 10 Seeking suggestions: Bavaria, Austria, Prague Trip in Fall
- 11 Dublin Hotel Advice & Construction
- 12 Where to eat Paella in Valencia?
- 13 What to do in Lauterbrunnen with Toddler
- 14 Switzerland and Northern Italy
- 15 Toddler stroller - Yes or No for Switzerland trip?
- 16 Beaches in Southern France
- 17 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 18 rental car outskirts of Rome
- 19 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 20 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 21 My Home Exchange Near Lake Como
- 22 French lavender and cottages
- 23 Amalfi Coast or the Lakes and where to fit in France?
- 24 Rome to Pompeii, luggage goes where?
- 25 Krka waterfalls- Best time and best hotel?