I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 サ선릉안마↔『o1o 9875 2236』민실장 선릉역안마 선릉안마방∥
- 2 Another tipping question: concierges
- 3 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 4 We're here!
- 5 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 6 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 7 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 8 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 9 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 10 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 11 Escargots in Paris
- 12 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 13 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 14 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 15 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 16 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 17 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 18 Is Eiffel tower closed from 25-31 Dec?
- 19 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 20 Paris: Where to find Steak Tartar and Escargot?
- 21 Acropolis Athens
- 22 Vacation in Great Britain
- 23 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 24 Fodors IT team, ITS TIME.
- 25 Interesting places to visit