I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 2 릴 게임 가입 머니 ≪접속주소 :≫ttw46.com≪
- 3 무료바다이야기 ≪ 접속주소 :≫tt349.com≪
- 4 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 5 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 6 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 7 2 weeks Europe trip
- 8 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 9 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 10 Help needed for our trip to Munich, Salzburg, Prague & Vienna
- 11 Transportation
- 12 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 13 4 days in Provence in early June
- 14 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 15 Lodging in Zurich and Lucerne?
- 16 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 17 Leather goods in Florence
- 18 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 19 Italy Hotel Recommondations
- 20 France Itinerary Advice
- 21 dinner jackets
- 22 Trip to Rome
- 23 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 24 Planning trip to Barcelona. Madrid and Tossa Del Mar
- 25 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?