I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Question about the Dutch "IJ"
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Travelling from Paris to Madrid
- 2 5 Observations About Paris
- 3 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 4 Help! Italy & France and Italy-Two Weeks?
- 5 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 6 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 7 Need Advice! Munich to Strasbourg to Paris
- 8 All Set To Go!!
- 9 caroline_venezia
- 10 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 11 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 12 Planning Honeymoon to Greece in April
- 13 Train Travel from Marseilles to Barcelona
- 14 Pyrenees logistics
- 15 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 16 Brisighella or Castelvetro di Modena Lodgings in Emilia Romagna
- 17 Normandy and Loire
- 18 Granada
- 19 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 20 Italy dolomites
- 21 Taormina Sicily
- 22 Northern Europe in April-May
- 23 history museums or locations
- 24 Iwango went…to Nice
- 25 22 year olds in Europe