I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Question about the Dutch "IJ"
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Moving to Belfast
- 2 Wiring money for apt rental?
- 3 Posting from Siena-ATM emergency! Help needed!
- 4 Help with a small island in Greece
- 5 Photo Ops, Great Pubs, Something Different - Cornwall Suggestions Please
- 6 granada to algarve
- 7 Glasgow to Brody Ferry Scotland
- 8 Libourne overnight
- 9 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 10 70% off on hotel deals, 40% off on flights, Save up to $525 on flight
- 11 Ideas for Shropshire Please
- 12 AA Frequent Flyer Flight bookings to Europe
- 13 Help with somewhat messed up itinerary-Greece and Venice
- 14 Brugge photo on Bing
- 15 to take cash from USA or from ATMs in France?
- 16 Can anyone suggest a good Italian phrase app?
- 17 Help with extended vacation / move to Italy with little ones …
- 18 Rail or Bus Travel in Italy
- 19 "Compartment" vs "Saloon Carriage" in 2nd class: Salzburg to Venice?
- 20 Travel from Berlin To Paris by train. good places to visit in Paris (tips)
- 21 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 22 Spending money in Italy?
- 23 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 24 Does this itinerary work and make sense? Help!
- 25 I went to Paris in June