I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Question about the Dutch "IJ"
- 1 Travel Asti to Beaune
- 2 2 days in Venice- where to stay –What to do- Help please!
- 3 Italy - Business+Pleasure - 12 days - driving tips and places to see
- 4 10 day honeymoon in Italy in Nov
- 5 Istanbul Hotels
- 6 If you could go anywhere in Italy......
- 7 One way car rental Lisbon to Bordeaux
- 8 Going to London next week but can't find hotel/hostel!!
- 9 best place to get euros for Ireland trip
- 10 Four weeks in Spain with kids
- 11 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 12 UK Trip Report So Far....
- 13 Slovenia/Northern Croatia in mid-August - hotel and other advice?
- 14 Hiking in Germany/Innsbruck/Salzburg and where else?
- 15 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 16 Tennyson Home
- 17 If an AirBerlin flight arrives in Rome at 11:30 ...
- 18 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 19 Netherland -> Belgium -> West Germany for 18 days
- 20 Loire Valley & Brittany - recommendations?
- 21 Approx taxi cost: CDG airport to Paris(7th arr)?
- 22 Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
- 23 Santorini-Nafplio-Delphi-Athens Help
- 24 Quaint/family run place in Nuremberg?
- 25 2 days in Frankfurt - where to stay -what to do - or straight to Paris