I know that there are a fair number of people who can speak Dutch on Fodor’s, so I thought I would attempt my question here.
When listening to modern Dutch people, newscasts, TV shows and song, I’ve noticedthat most folks seem to pronounce the “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” in a way that sounds similar to the “ine” of English words like “mine” and “pine”, although with a slightly more pronounce diphthong . However, listening to a singer I just discovered, Boudewijn de Groot, I noticed that he pronounces his “ijn” in words like “pijn” and “zijn” very similar to the “ain” of English words like “pain” and “main”.
My question is this: Is his way of pronouncing the “ij” a regionalism, a standard variation, a poetic way of speech, or an old-fashioned way of pronouncing the letters? My first thought was old-fashioned since I notice he trills his “R” in a way I’m not accustomed to hearing from modern Dutch and that seems to remind me of some older songs and news clips I’ve heard.
I’ve included below the Boudewijn de Groot video (the “ijn” sounds in question are about 1 minute 45 minutes in). By the way, I like what I’ve heard of his music and I do find myself liking the way he pronounces words.
Best wishes, Daniel
Question about the Dutch "IJ"
- 1 Help me plan a vacation to Paris!
- 2 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 3 Waltz performances in Stadtpark Vienna
- 4 Travelling with Alitalia. MIA-FCO-AOI Carry-on or Check-in baggage?
- 5 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 6 Chambermaid tipping
- 7 Night trains across Europe--what are the fares?
- 8 Gift/Travel Cards for Spain?
- 9 One more week hardly in Paris: still wandering the Ile de France
- 10 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 11 10 Summer days in Spain: Barcelona alone or Madrid too?
- 12 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 13 Dresden Train Station
- 14 Italian Lakes gardens
- 15 More help with housing in Puglia
- 16 Spain - Andalucia
- 17 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 18 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 19 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 20 Is there a best time of day to visit the Alhambra?
- 21 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 22 London for Christmas
- 23 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 24 Lake District, Hawkshead or Keswick?
- 25 Rome itinerary check over New Years....comments?? suggestions??