I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 2 Brother USA - Printers CONTACT ☎ 1:888:279:0246 Brother Printer Solution
- 3 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 4 Breakfast Outside of Dublin off M7 (Driving to West Coast)
- 5 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 6 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 7 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 8 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 9 Hotels in Turin
- 10 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 11 Venice Airport Car Return Center to Water Taxi Shuttle Area
- 12 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 13 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 14 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 15 3 days solo in London
- 16 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 17 Where to stay first night near Manchester
- 18 Help on ancient history route
- 19 Chania
- 20 Days to Avoid Roussillon, Gordes, etc.
- 21 Now to Madrid
- 22 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 23 Trip Report: The last hurrah? A fortnight in Lake Como
- 24 Village visit in Northern Italy
- 25 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?