I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Desperate Help with Itinerary to Alsace/Alps/Provence
- 2 UK train question
- 3 POST CRUISE IN ROME FOR 5 DAYS
- 4 Advance purchase tickets for Seville??
- 5 St Mont Michel, how much time do I need
- 6 Umbria and Piedmont
- 7 Norway Fjords
- 8 I need a practice room! (piano)
- 9 My niece wants a one week student tour
- 10 5 day home base between Venice and Florence with Teenage boys?
- 11 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 12 Train/rental car questions Milan-Bolzano
- 13 Bootcut jeans
- 14 Cheap Airfare to Spain
- 15 Car and Driver in Italy
- 16 London Itinerary - Late Summer
- 17 Road tripping: Isle of Skye to London
- 18 Honeymoon Plans London+Paris+??April-May
- 19 3 Days in the Black Forest
- 20 Andalusia itinerary comments & advice please!
- 21 Dijon: The Best/Most Memorable In Your Opinion
- 22 FIRST TIME VISIT TO SWITZERLAND
- 23 Car rental insurance woes
- 24 Possible itinerary - thoughts?
- 25 Where to spend how much time in Belgium