I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 2 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 3 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 4 Where to stay in SW Ireland, Killarney or Kenmare?
- 5 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 6 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 7 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 8 Day trip ideas from Bristol, UK
- 9 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 10 What tips can you give about packing?
- 11 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 12 HIking through France for 2 weeks
- 13 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 14 Prague
- 15 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 16 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 17 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 18 current best wisdom on taxis from CDG to 17eme
- 19 Amsterdam hotels during summer
- 20 A week in Paris
- 21 38 Days in Paris
- 22 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 23 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 24 2 Months in Sicily
- 25 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England