I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi or Positano
- 2 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 3 Croatia travel ideas
- 4 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 5 Citadines Bastille Marais
- 6 Car Rental tips while in Greece?
- 7 Portugal and Southern Spain travel tips
- 8 Recommendations re walking tours in Dubrovnik and Split
- 9 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 10 2 Week Euro Solo Trip - UK, Paris, Brussels
- 11 Public Transport information App/Website
- 12 Backpack with Infant carrier?
- 13 Help required with Ireland Itinerary
- 14 Kids Travel Guides for Reading up!
- 15 church / cathedral (organ/classic music) concerts in Granada/Seville ?
- 16 12 Days in Italy
- 17 Sleeping Beauty's Castle
- 18 Cheap Paris Boutiques
- 19 Romantic snowy mountain getaway to propose to my girlfriend
- 20 house exchange
- 21 First Trip to Italy-2 weeks
- 22 St.Malo Suggestions ?
- 23 Poland in September
- 24 Taormina, Sicily
- 25 Frantic Ticket Purchase Upends Itinerary ... No Open Jaw -