I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Question About Entering the UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 2 Day trips from Seville
- 3 Foie gras, redux
- 4 Oktoberfest reservations
- 5 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 6 Duoro Valley lodging for 3 in June
- 7 Long Weekend in Lisbon - Loved it!
- 8 Switzerland and Piedmont, Italy itinerary suggestions
- 9 Completely off the beaten track on the Petite Ceinture
- 10 Southern France
- 11 Anniversary Dinner in Paris
- 12 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 13 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 14 What still confounds you about travel?
- 15 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 16 Advice for budget trip to Venice, espec trains & Groupons
- 17 Travel over Col du Puymorens and lunch.
- 18 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 19 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 20 Train to Airport in Venice
- 21 Golfing in Ireland
- 22 Croatia in August - 2 weeks, 2 kids
- 23 Bavaria & Dolomites
- 24 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 25 Short-stay apartment in Italy -- common practices?