I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Question About Entering the UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland, Honeymoon, early June 2015, active couple
- 2 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 3 Granada
- 4 Tour Guide in Budapest
- 5 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 6 Istanbul Bosphorus Tour
- 7 22 year olds in Europe
- 8 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 9 Rome bus tours-which one?
- 10 Coffee in Naples
- 11 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 12 A Sardinia trip report
- 13 Spain/EU trip in february "History,Nature is our main goal"
- 14 First time Ireland trip
- 15 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 16 Favorite place for morning espresso or cappucino in Venice
- 17 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 18 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 19 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 20 All Set To Go!!
- 21 Helsinki-Stockhom ferry question re: Arlanda connection
- 22 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 23 Eastern Europe
- 24 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 25 From Paris to Bruselas-Amsterdam-London