I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Question About Entering the UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best places to shop for leather handbags in Florence
- 2 Great restaurants in Italy
- 3 Ireland itinerary and accommodations advice?
- 4 "Chip" Credit Cards in Italy
- 5 Zurich and other cities to visit?
- 6 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 7 Trip Report: 10 Days in Spain
- 8 Greece after the Vote
- 9 Germany for 3 weeks
- 10 Amalfi coast in May
- 11 Napoli Centrale: Luggage/Storage Lockers?
- 12 Summer vacation in Greece for 2 weeks, need help w itinerary !!
- 13 Advice required on my Switzerland Itinerary
- 14 BOS - CDG airfare in late April?
- 15 Germany and Switzerland
- 16 What about hiring a coach in London?
- 17 10 day itinerary in Puglia
- 18 Ireland 6 days / 5 nights
- 19 14 days in Russia, please help choose day trip out of Moscow/St. Petersburg
- 20 2000 years, 2 countries, 2 passports: Rome & Madrid, Jan. 2015
- 21 Mandarijn Restaurant Amsterdam-good Chinese Restaurant Amsterdam
- 22 help regarding removal firm in london
- 23 overnight trip from Reykjavik
- 24 Turn Back or Forge Ahead?
- 25 Iceland Car Rental Suggestions