I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Question About Entering the UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 2 Nice or Marseille??
- 3 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 4 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 5 Euro Geography Quiz #2 - How Well Do You Know Europe?
- 6 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 7 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 8 Dresden or Leipzig
- 9 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 10 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 11 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 12 Are 9 Days Too Much for the Dordogne?
- 13 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 14 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 15 Transfer from Linate to Bellagio
- 16 Trains in Italy
- 17 ACP Rail -- any info?
- 18 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 19 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 20 Air pollution in Paris
- 21 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 22 Venice - guided boat/tour trips in winter?
- 23 Madrid - Bernina Express
- 24 UK & Ireland 2 week travel itinerary (looking for input)
- 25 20 days in Germany