I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 2 European countries thst could use some hospitality lessons.
- 3 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 4 ls there anything such as Spanish cuisine?
- 5 Rome to Positano
- 6 Day trips from Uzes
- 7 Laundry - Ireland?
- 8 How best to spend a day in Tallinn
- 9 Naples or Genoa
- 10 "PARIS FOR RENT". Apartments----has anyone used this service?
- 11 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 12 Traveling with medication in bulk
- 13 One week travelling from Spain to Paris
- 14 Need Barcelona Gaudi Ticket Help
- 15 France to stop making foie grois
- 16 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 17 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 18 Swimming in 17th century fountains in Rome
- 19 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 20 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 21 Interlaken-Lucerne Express 19th July- reservation required??
- 22 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 23 How big backpack do I need?
- 24 Itinerary help please!
- 25 Prague on a budget...