I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Question About Entering the UK
- 1 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 2 Rental Agency Recommendation
- 3 first european holiday itinery
- 4 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 5 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 6 Location and Lodging in Amsterdam
- 7 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 8 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 9 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 10 To Paris and Provence in June
- 11 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 12 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 13 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 14 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 15 Car in Prague
- 16 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 17 Euro Train
- 18 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 19 Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station
- 20 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 21 Travel by train or bus
- 22 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 23 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 24 Cyprus in December
- 25 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia