I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 CDG international flight
- 2 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 3 12 days europe
- 4 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 5 italy Cinque Terre and Lake Como
- 6 Seville in late January
- 7 Lipari to Capri??
- 8 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 9 2 Porto-Lisbon q's, 1 phone q
- 10 Italy for the first time
- 11 Berlin restaurant recs
- 12 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 13 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 14 5 day s in Belgrade
- 15 Where to eat Paella in Valencia?
- 16 Travel WiFi - France
- 17 TGV route Avignon - Paris
- 18 4 nights between Zeebrugge and Strasbourg
- 19 Gelato course in Rome?
- 20 Drinks in Spain
- 21 RFID Protection
- 22 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 23 Beaches in Southern France
- 24 Norfolk base
- 25 Macedonia - the land of sun!