I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Question About Entering the UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam: the food : tip report day 1
- 2 CNN votes Utrecht the worlds best cycling city
- 3 23 days in Italy - itenerary HELP
- 4 What should we eat in Portugal?
- 5 spain
- 6 Help with Madrid Location
- 7 impact of the euro on travel costs
- 8 Photos from our Nearly 2 Weeks in Turkey
- 9 Mosel Valley Base - NOT Rhine Valley Base
- 10 A Trip Report in Pictures - Ireland, E to W, S to N
- 11 Cornwall or Paris?
- 12 Travel Time from St. Pancras to Paddington
- 13 2 full days in Paris
- 14 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 15 Good Paris Self-guided Walking Tour Book?
- 16 where to stay dolomites Italy
- 17 There's No Place Like London: Part 2
- 18 Help for San Sebastian
- 19 Need advice on itinerary for Germany
- 20 Best luggage for a 7 week trip
- 21 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 22 Which area in Florence - Santa Croce or near Duomo?
- 23 2 Days in Rome
- 24 Greece with 4 months baby old in September
- 25 Our Eastern Europe trip is at hand - I could use some hotel suggestions.