I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Question About Entering the UK
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 2 Brisighella or Castelvetro di Modena Lodgings in Emilia Romagna
- 3 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 4 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 5 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 6 For those interested in visiting WW I sites in France
- 7 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 8 Help with itinerary for girls trip to Swizterland
- 9 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 10 First time to Switzerland
- 11 Visiting the Azores Islands (Portugal) LOVELY LOVELY Experiences
- 12 Italy dolomites
- 13 6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?
- 14 Euro Trivia Quiz #16
- 15 First time Ireland trip
- 16 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 17 Switzerland help...?
- 18 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 19 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 20 5 Observations About Paris
- 21 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 22 Story of the German Christmas star
- 23 Greece or Portugal for 3-4 week fall sojourn?
- 24 Best Location for Car Pickup in Naples
- 25 Greece and Italy in 20 days