I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Question About Entering the UK
- 1 Stonehenge
- 2 Transportation for 7 ladies from Marais apartment to only airport
- 3 Running Very Behind on Month Long Europe Trip
- 4 Chip-and-PIN cards again
- 5 Yet another train question......
- 6 Getting the best our of Europe
- 7 Driving the Mediterranean - Spain, France & Italy - 3 weeks - August 2013
- 8 Our 4 weeks in Turkey - Trip Report
- 9 Trip Report: SE England - Stately Homes & Gardens in Kent
- 10 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 11 hotels in Milan, Italy
- 12 Perfect gondola ride and dinner in Venice? But on a budget.
- 13 14 days Ireland/Scotland Trip Report
- 14 Reichstag tickets
- 15 Paris Ticket t+
- 16 Sweden, Denmark, Norway Trip Report
- 17 Sussex Day Out Which Option to Choose?
- 18 Barcelona June 2013 Trip Report
- 19 One week in Norway
- 20 Albi-Carcassonne to St. Remy
- 21 Driving Through Adriatic Italy
- 22 Day trip or 1 night in Paris from London (w 7y/o & visiting Disney)
- 23 Am I too fat too travel?
- 24 Moving to England at 16: Driving Laws?
- 25 London and Paris; Christmas 2013!