I'm probably the last person to discover this, but just in case there are others:
SNCF does not accept charge cards other than those issued in France.
If you try to use a foreign card, you get a notice that says it was rejected by your bank.
That is not true. The computer doesn't contact the bank at all.
You can't use foreign credit cards over the phone, either.
You will have to go to www.raileurope.com, where you will be charge 50% more, OR
contact your hotel in France and ask if they will purchase your tickets for you.
Purchasing SNCF Tickets
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 2 London visit
- 3 Budget for 3 Month's
- 4 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 5 Bavaria & Dolomites
- 6 21 Days in Central Europe
- 7 Best place to stay with car in Lake Como/Maggiore
- 8 Questions for my German friends
- 9 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 10 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 11 Driving through southern Germany, would you book accomodation in advance?
- 12 Chip but no PIN
- 13 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 14 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help Please
- 15 Who has stayed at a Citadines Paris property?
- 16 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 17 Cornwall Trip Addition
- 18 Madrid and London
- 19 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 20 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 21 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 22 Unique Venice Activity
- 23 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 24 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 25 Excursions from Dubrovnik--wine/olive oil tasting, sailing/boat tours