I'm probably the last person to discover this, but just in case there are others:
SNCF does not accept charge cards other than those issued in France.
If you try to use a foreign card, you get a notice that says it was rejected by your bank.
That is not true. The computer doesn't contact the bank at all.
You can't use foreign credit cards over the phone, either.
You will have to go to www.raileurope.com, where you will be charge 50% more, OR
contact your hotel in France and ask if they will purchase your tickets for you.
Purchasing SNCF Tickets
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Bastille Day
- 2 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 3 Paris Art Galleries
- 4 Underground Ticket Office Closures---Effects Yet?
- 5 9 Nights: Venice, AC, and Rome first timer help!!!
- 6 What American foods do Europeans love?
- 7 malaga to madrid train ?
- 8 Anyone been to Fastnacht or Fasnacht in Switzerland?
- 9 5 days in England (flying into Heathrow) before cruise- where to visit
- 10 Amsterdam Hotel or B&B Recommendation
- 11 Denmark cycle tour
- 12 Trains
- 13 Restaurant recommendations in Copenhagen
- 14 Barcelona restaurants
- 15 Accommodation
- 16 Italy for 5 nights!
- 17 Is Rome and Amalfi safe for women?
- 18 netherland & belgium 7 days pls help
- 19 Travel to San Gimignano
- 20 Central Europe for 8 days over NYE break
- 21 Visit Algarve in mid-April 2015: Yes or No?
- 22 car rental agency
- 23 In Defense of the Notoriously Arrogant French Waiter
- 24 1 month & unrealistic expectations
- 25 Castle/Abbey Ruins in Wales - Night Access