I'm probably the last person to discover this, but just in case there are others:
SNCF does not accept charge cards other than those issued in France.
If you try to use a foreign card, you get a notice that says it was rejected by your bank.
That is not true. The computer doesn't contact the bank at all.
You can't use foreign credit cards over the phone, either.
You will have to go to www.raileurope.com, where you will be charge 50% more, OR
contact your hotel in France and ask if they will purchase your tickets for you.
Purchasing SNCF Tickets
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Up coming strikes at Spanish airports 2015
- 2 One Week in Amsterdam with Children
- 3 first trip to Spain - questions and itinerary review
- 4 Looking for 5* Beach Resort
- 5 How to dicover the sicily?
- 6 Taking a 5 day trip to Europe
- 7 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 8 Looking for nice regions with good public transport
- 9 Ireland's west coast
- 10 Scotland 4 days / 5 nights - Itinerary ideas?!
- 11 Is Scotland and Northern England still green in October?
- 12 Louvre vs. Orsay/Rodin
- 13 Pickup rental car in Germany and drop off in Switzerland
- 14 Should I buy Euro's now?
- 15 Norway- 1 week trip in May
- 16 To Prague or not to Prague
- 17 ISO London Flat w/Washer/Dryer Early May
- 18 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 19 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days
- 20 6 Days in Italy - all in Rome or divide it between Rome and Florence?
- 21 Stansted Express or National Express - which is better?
- 22 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 23 France to Italy advice needed please
- 24 Skiing in Austria?
- 25 Rocamaxour