I'm probably the last person to discover this, but just in case there are others:
SNCF does not accept charge cards other than those issued in France.
If you try to use a foreign card, you get a notice that says it was rejected by your bank.
That is not true. The computer doesn't contact the bank at all.
You can't use foreign credit cards over the phone, either.
You will have to go to www.raileurope.com, where you will be charge 50% more, OR
contact your hotel in France and ask if they will purchase your tickets for you.
Purchasing SNCF Tickets
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with Southern France & Italy Itinerary
- 2 Where to go in France mid July?
- 3 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 4 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 5 Help with England/Wales tour
- 6 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 7 A trip into the neonatal ward of Western civilization
- 8 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 9 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 10 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 11 trip to norway
- 12 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 13 My notes on Greece 101
- 14 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 15 When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part
- 16 57 Reasons to Love Yorkshire
- 17 How Long Does it take to get to FCO
- 18 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 19 Is Venice really dirty?
- 20 Cotswold Churches
- 21 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 22 Best beach town in Italy?
- 23 TRYP or Hotel Londres Inglaterra
- 24 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 25 50yo sf. Barcelona at night...?