I'm probably the last person to discover this, but just in case there are others:
SNCF does not accept charge cards other than those issued in France.
If you try to use a foreign card, you get a notice that says it was rejected by your bank.
That is not true. The computer doesn't contact the bank at all.
You can't use foreign credit cards over the phone, either.
You will have to go to www.raileurope.com, where you will be charge 50% more, OR
contact your hotel in France and ask if they will purchase your tickets for you.
Purchasing SNCF Tickets
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Apartments (via airbnb) or Hotels / B&Bs in Italy
- 2 Andalucia itinerary help
- 3 LHR to Victoria by Tube - Best Place to Transfer
- 4 Escher Museum The Hague
- 5 Mont St. Michele?
- 6 Gift for my European Friends- How about Hershey?
- 7 Southwestern England
- 8 French Immersion Advice Needed
- 9 A taste of Scotland and Ireland
- 10 Paris Vacation Rentals in 2015
- 11 London, Vienna, Prague - theater recommendations
- 12 Look for Itinerary Advice- Athens, Spetses, Hydra, Naxos, Santorini
- 13 Budget for eating out in Italy, France and Berlin?
- 14 France Tourisme - Is it a reliable tour company?
- 15 Prague to Dubrovnik Itinerary Suggestions wanted
- 16 Drone video of the north of the Netherlands
- 17 lauterbrunnen lodging, down to 2 choices
- 18 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 19 Restaurants near Pantheon in Rome
- 20 Berlin: evening dining
- 21 bicycling garmisch oberammergau fussen
- 22 10-day Europe Trip (5-15June)
- 23 Immigration Procedures
- 24 In Paris on my own
- 25 taking kids to france for first time next summer-help!