I'm probably the last person to discover this, but just in case there are others:
SNCF does not accept charge cards other than those issued in France.
If you try to use a foreign card, you get a notice that says it was rejected by your bank.
That is not true. The computer doesn't contact the bank at all.
You can't use foreign credit cards over the phone, either.
You will have to go to www.raileurope.com, where you will be charge 50% more, OR
contact your hotel in France and ask if they will purchase your tickets for you.
Purchasing SNCF Tickets
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 2 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 3 More questions about Swiss rail system and the Bernina Express?
- 4 3.5 Weeks in Europe with no luggage
- 5 Pontresina to Tirano by Train
- 6 Drat! -- Always cancel credit card after European car rental
- 7 Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman
- 8 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 9 Paris in black and white
- 10 Two Sisters-in-law in Italy
- 11 Wineries open on Saturdays in October
- 12 Hey Fodor's
- 13 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 14 Lagos or Portimao better base to stay
- 15 Apartment rental agencies in Barcelona
- 16 Douro cruise in last week of November?
- 17 Pre-Trip Jitters!
- 18 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 19 Two-city, two-week vacation in late Oct
- 20 Advice please...
- 21 Drive from Granada to Seville
- 22 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 23 Help us plan our first trip to Italy
- 24 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 25 Globus Tour Highlights of Britain & Ireland