I'm probably the last person to discover this, but just in case there are others:
SNCF does not accept charge cards other than those issued in France.
If you try to use a foreign card, you get a notice that says it was rejected by your bank.
That is not true. The computer doesn't contact the bank at all.
You can't use foreign credit cards over the phone, either.
You will have to go to www.raileurope.com, where you will be charge 50% more, OR
contact your hotel in France and ask if they will purchase your tickets for you.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bernina or Glacier Express?
- 2 Versailles or Mont St Michel ?
- 3 10 Days trip to Europe
- 4 how to spend 9 nights in Provence (France)
- 5 Time to go through customs in Glascow, Scotland
- 6 8 Day trip to Swiss and France
- 7 Tirano to Paris via bernina express in 1 day
- 8 SatNav and GPS systems that show speed cameras are illegal
- 9 Scenic drive: Seville-Granada-Barcelona
- 10 French Prem Train Fares
- 11 Finalizing Itinerary
- 12 American looking for any work in Italy
- 13 Day Trip from Geneva - Need Advice
- 14 Draft Ireland itinerary - does it look ok?
- 15 Credit cards in Italy & France
- 16 Madrid to Dordogne
- 17 Andalucia - Food Vocabulary - suggestions, corrections?
- 18 Itinerary help for family with young kids
- 19 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 20 Another Visit to London
- 21 London Weekly Apartment
- 22 Puglia impressions, in brief
- 23 Papal Audience at the Vatican
- 24 Two days in Switzerland or Lake Como Italy
- 25 Euro Quiz # 103 - Rivers!