I'm probably the last person to discover this, but just in case there are others:
SNCF does not accept charge cards other than those issued in France.
If you try to use a foreign card, you get a notice that says it was rejected by your bank.
That is not true. The computer doesn't contact the bank at all.
You can't use foreign credit cards over the phone, either.
You will have to go to www.raileurope.com, where you will be charge 50% more, OR
contact your hotel in France and ask if they will purchase your tickets for you.
Purchasing SNCF Tickets
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Trip to Europe
- 2 Driving from Amboise to Dinan--advice needed
- 3 Paris in black and white
- 4 Berner Oberland for 3 days over Thanksgiving
- 5 Avis De Contravention (speeding ticket) dispute/appeal?
- 6 Need help with itinerary
- 7 Vicenza day trip - can we walk everywhere?
- 8 Where to rent a house for 1 or 2 months during summer in Europe
- 9 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 10 Tips on renting a car in Oxford
- 11 Any last things i might need to know for our trip??
- 12 Grad Schools in London?
- 13 7 days in London in Dec with family
- 14 Cotswolds first time
- 15 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 16 Paris: for a family with children, Saint Germain or Le Marais?
- 17 Help! Need alternative to PORTOVENERE in late-September!
- 18 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 19 What will happen if I do not pay the penalty of ATAF bus in Florence
- 20 Ireland or Scotland
- 21 Anyone used London Connections to book an apartment in London?
- 22 From Denver to Virtuous
- 23 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 24 Off the beaten path in Italy
- 25 Have 4 Ticket to Eiffel Tower Summit for sale 31.08, early afternoon