I am posting this itinerary in several parts, hoping to get experts on the areas we'll be visiting.
To briefly summarize, I'll be traveling to Italy in 1 week (!) with DH and two teenage sons (14, 16), and I'm hoping that the experts out there can help me to refine our itinerary.
Here’s the overview of the whole trip:
Fly into Venice. Stay 4 nights
Train to Florence. Stay 5 nights
Drive to San Gimignano. Stay 2 nights
Drive to Siena. Stay 4 nights
Drive to Orvieto. Stay 1 night
Train to Rome. Stay 4 nights
Train to Naples, private driver to Positano. Stay 7 nights
Return to Rome. Stay 2 nights
Fly home from Rome
This post relates only to the Positano and back to Rome part of the trip.
Part 4: Positano
Day 21: We will arrive by train in Naples at 12:10, and have splurged on a private driver to get us to Positano. (See another post about my dislike of scary cliffside roads!)
We’re staying at the Hotel Marincanto in Positano, and after check-in, we’ll probably explore Positano a bit (which might not take too long, from what I’ve read on other posts).
We had a lot of trouble deciding whether to stay in Sorrento or Positano, but finally chose Positano because it seems more beautiful and peaceful. After all of our busy days leading up to this, it really appealed to us.
Dinner: Da Vincenzo
Day 22: No plans! We can either go to the beach or take a ferry ride somewhere. If anyone can offer suggestions, we’d welcome them.
Dinner: La Tagliata, which is #3 on Trip Advisor. There is a free shuttle to the restaurant, which is at the top of the hill. We’ve timed our reservation to be there for sunset. (Did you know you can Google “sunset time in ____” to find out what time the sun will set anywhere? Very helpful!)
Day 23: Visit Pompeii? (and possibly tie in Ravello or Sorrento?)
We really need assistance with this!
I have contacted a driver service that can take us to Pompeii in 4 hours at 40Euros/ hour. That is, of course, the nicest way to go, but the costs are adding up! The hotel said that we can take a bus to Sorrento, and then a train to Pompeii. This sounds a bit confusing, but certainly more economical. Has anyone done this who could help explain how for me?
Day 24: No plans! I was thinking of taking a cooking class in the morning, so that the meal we prepared would be lunch. Does anyone know of such a class that you would recommend?
Dinner: Il Ritrovo
Day 25: Day trip to Capri
I know the options are a private boat or a ferry. We would prefer the ferry, but just don’t want to have to worry about missing a trip back to Positano due to confusion on the schedule. It seems like sometimes the ferry just passes by Positano if it’s already full…has anyone had that experience?
Dinner: Le Terrazze, which is on the beach and looks wonderful!
Day 26: No plans! I had thought of booking a semi-private boat tour along the Amalfi Coast, but if the ferry goes there, that would probably be a lot of fun, too. Has anyone done either of those?
Dinner: Ristorante Mediterraneo
Day 27: No plans! This is our last full day in Positano, so maybe we’ll just relax…
Dinner: La Terra, which is also on a steep hilltop, but has a shuttle service.
Day 28: train back to Rome
We’ll arrive in Rome at 3:00, and return to Albergo del Senato hotel. We’ll probably just relax around the area.
For dinner, we’ll either return to a restaurant we enjoyed earlier, or get a recommendation from the hotel.
Day 29: our last day in Italy!
I’m not sure how to spend this day. It might be nice to go to Trastevere or some other neighborhood. Suggestions would be very appreciated!
No dinner reservations…any suggestions?
Day 30: fly home
We have a 2:40 flight to JFK, and I think we’ll all be ready to go back home and relax!
Thank you again to everyone for all of your help and suggestions. This website is a wealth of information, and I’ll be sure to post a trip report after we get home.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 정통바카라＼♜【 POP224。ZZ。AM 】♜＼슈퍼카지노정통바카라
- 2 Summer School in France
- 3 Bars & Restaurants in Madrid Spain
- 4 Advice on use of Toll roads in Portugal
- 5 Credit or debit card or cash in Europe
- 6 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 7 Please help me with the name of this town in Spain
- 8 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 9 Pre-Booking Athens / Cell Phone
- 10 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 11 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 12 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 13 Luggage for train travel in Europe
- 14 Cutback on Spain trip
- 15 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 16 where to stay in London?
- 17 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 18 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 19 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 20 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 21 Croatia transportation question.
- 22 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 23 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 24 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 25 Ireland and Scotland in July
Pt 4 (Positano, Rome) of 31 day Italy itinerary-can you help?