I am posting this itinerary in several parts, hoping to get experts on the areas we'll be visiting.
To briefly summarize, I'll be traveling to Italy in 1 week (!) with DH and two teenage sons (14, 16), and I'm hoping that the experts out there can help me to refine our itinerary.
Here’s the overview of the whole trip:
Fly into Venice. Stay 4 nights
Train to Florence. Stay 5 nights
Drive to San Gimignano. Stay 2 nights
Drive to Siena. Stay 4 nights
Drive to Orvieto. Stay 1 night
Train to Rome. Stay 4 nights
Train to Naples, private driver to Positano. Stay 7 nights
Return to Rome. Stay 2 nights
Fly home from Rome
This post relates only to the Rome part of the trip.
Part 3: Rome
Day 17: Arrive by train, and buy Roma Pass at the newsstand. If anyone could help us with transportation tips to get to our hotel at Piazza della Rotunda (Pantheon), I’d appreciate it. I know that taxis often try to overcharge tourists, so if anyone knows how much it should cost, that would be a help.
We’ll be staying at Albergo del Senato, facing the Pantheon-this is something we’re all looking forward to! After check-in, we can explore the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and hopefully have time for that fantastic dessert treat that I believe is called tartufulo (warm brownie with ice cream in the center-yumm!)
Dinner: Pietro al Pantheon
Most of the restaurants I’ve booked are right near the Pantheon so that we can walk, and are highly recommended on TripAdvisor.
Day 18: We’d like to tour the Colosseum, Forum and Capitoline. Looking for suggestions on whether we should use Rick Steves audio guides on our iPhones or book a private guide (which seems more expensive here than elsewhere).
We also want to leave time for a leisurely lunch on the edge of a piazza, and savoring Rome. Any suggestions?
Dinner: La Fontana di Venere, which is near the Trevi Fountain.
After dinner we can walk around the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps area. Does anyone know how long it takes to walk from Spanish Steps to Pantheon, and whether it is a safe walk at night? Otherwise, we can take a (overpriced) taxi.
Day 19: St. Peter’s Basilica and Vatican Museum. We do have a private tour booked for that already at 9:00 am. I know the rules about proper dress, but do you think my boys will be allowed in with long shorts? If not, they can wear the zip-off pants we’re bringing.
After that we’re open, so if anyone can think of a nice way to spend the afternoon I’d love to hear.
Dinner: Casa Coppelle
Day 20: Borghese Galleries and Park
I have not pre-booked our entrance yet, because I’m a little confused about how it works with the Roma Pass, and the youth discounts. If anyone could help with this I’d be most grateful.
Our afternoon will be free, and it might be nice to go to San Pietro in Vicoli to see Michelangelo’s Moses, but if anyone else can suggest an alternative that would be helpful, too.
Dinner: Al Duello
Day 21: Train to Naples, and on to Positano
I’ll put that part of the trip in another post. We will be returning to Rome for the last two nights of our vacation, so if anyone can think of suggestions for those last two days we’d appreciate that.
Thanks again to all who have read this itinerary. I’m so grateful for any help you can give me as I refine things!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 2 Towersey, London
- 3 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 4 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 5 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 6 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 7 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 8 Biarritz family holiday
- 9 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 10 With Locals dinner- anyone done one?
- 11 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions
- 12 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 15 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 16 Stop between Umbria and Firenze
- 17 Ireland in April
- 18 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 19 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 20 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 21 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 22 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 23 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 24 If you had to choose one......
- 25 getting to CDG