I am posting this itinerary in several parts, hoping to get experts on the areas we'll be visiting.
To briefly summarize, I'll be traveling to Italy in 1 week (!) with DH and two teenage sons (14, 16), and I'm hoping that the experts out there can help me to refine our itinerary.
Here’s the overview of the whole trip:
Fly into Venice. Stay 4 nights
Train to Florence. Stay 5 nights
Drive to San Gimignano. Stay 2 nights
Drive to Siena. Stay 4 nights
Drive to Orvieto. Stay 1 night
Train to Rome. Stay 4 nights
Train to Naples, private driver to Positano. Stay 7 nights
Return to Rome. Stay 2 nights
Fly home from Rome
This post relates only to the Rome part of the trip.
Part 3: Rome
Day 17: Arrive by train, and buy Roma Pass at the newsstand. If anyone could help us with transportation tips to get to our hotel at Piazza della Rotunda (Pantheon), I’d appreciate it. I know that taxis often try to overcharge tourists, so if anyone knows how much it should cost, that would be a help.
We’ll be staying at Albergo del Senato, facing the Pantheon-this is something we’re all looking forward to! After check-in, we can explore the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and hopefully have time for that fantastic dessert treat that I believe is called tartufulo (warm brownie with ice cream in the center-yumm!)
Dinner: Pietro al Pantheon
Most of the restaurants I’ve booked are right near the Pantheon so that we can walk, and are highly recommended on TripAdvisor.
Day 18: We’d like to tour the Colosseum, Forum and Capitoline. Looking for suggestions on whether we should use Rick Steves audio guides on our iPhones or book a private guide (which seems more expensive here than elsewhere).
We also want to leave time for a leisurely lunch on the edge of a piazza, and savoring Rome. Any suggestions?
Dinner: La Fontana di Venere, which is near the Trevi Fountain.
After dinner we can walk around the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps area. Does anyone know how long it takes to walk from Spanish Steps to Pantheon, and whether it is a safe walk at night? Otherwise, we can take a (overpriced) taxi.
Day 19: St. Peter’s Basilica and Vatican Museum. We do have a private tour booked for that already at 9:00 am. I know the rules about proper dress, but do you think my boys will be allowed in with long shorts? If not, they can wear the zip-off pants we’re bringing.
After that we’re open, so if anyone can think of a nice way to spend the afternoon I’d love to hear.
Dinner: Casa Coppelle
Day 20: Borghese Galleries and Park
I have not pre-booked our entrance yet, because I’m a little confused about how it works with the Roma Pass, and the youth discounts. If anyone could help with this I’d be most grateful.
Our afternoon will be free, and it might be nice to go to San Pietro in Vicoli to see Michelangelo’s Moses, but if anyone else can suggest an alternative that would be helpful, too.
Dinner: Al Duello
Day 21: Train to Naples, and on to Positano
I’ll put that part of the trip in another post. We will be returning to Rome for the last two nights of our vacation, so if anyone can think of suggestions for those last two days we’d appreciate that.
Thanks again to all who have read this itinerary. I’m so grateful for any help you can give me as I refine things!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 플러스바카라■▥■『KIA700.CoM』■▤■온라인카지노주소ゎ온라인카지노주소
- 2 라이브바카라주소 ᛣ 【RAM300.COM】 ᛣ 카지노 호텔 사용방법
- 3 안전한 카지노 추천Ω【RAM300.COM】Ω 챔피온카지노 주소
- 4 33카지노●【RAM300.COM】● 베가스카지노 주소
- 5 무료바카라게임■▥■『KIA700.CoM』■▤■카지노사이트ん카지노사이트
- 6 온라인바카라추천■▥■『KIA700.CoM』■▤■온라인카지노ゅ온라인카지노
- 7 카지노사이트 정보ᛞ【RAM300.COM】ᛞ 카지노 콤프 사용방법
- 8 생방송바카라사이트ᛠ【RAM300.COM】ᛠ 바카라 게임
- 9 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 10 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 11 K-Day
- 12 Reindeer Migration on NRK
- 13 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 14 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 15 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 16 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 17 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 18 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 19 Driving from Spain to Portugal - passport check?
- 20 Cell Phone Question
- 21 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 22 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 23 Greek Islands (small)
- 24 Help with purchasing a wedding gift card
- 25 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!