Slowly putting together our itinerary for our 3 week trip to France this summer. Have already fleshed out the Paris & Burgundy bits. Now need to flesh out the notional itinerary for Provence for this July. We went to the Cote d'azur/Nicois backcountry two years ago but wanted to see a different part of Provence (hubby especially interested in Gallo -Roman sites). We are a family of four with two school-aged kids (8 and 10). Hubby likes active activities and I like markets/checking out produits du terroir. So trying to accomodate all of our interests this is what I have so far. Looking for suggestions to make sure we are hitting the "must-sees".
I initially had one day for Camargue but swapped out for one day driving trip to Luberon since it seemed really beautiful. (Plus July in Camargue -- very hot with lots of bugs?)
- arrive Avignon by TGV - lunch in Avignon?
- drive to gite near Les Baux de Provence
- evening - Carriere de Lumiere (Les Baux)
- Glanum (St. Remy) in the a.m.
- lunch in St. Remy
- Les Baux in the afternoon (kids would like medieval crossbow/catapult demos)
- see "courses camarguaises" spectacle at the Arena @ 5:30 pm
- Pont du Gard
- paddleboarding near P du G
- Luberon - are Gordes/Roussillon must-sees? I have read mixed reviews about these towns being crowded/overrated. Should we sub out less crowded towns like Apt or Goult
- I want to see Abbey at Senanque (lavender?)
Thursday - Sunday (check out of gite - drive to Marseille for last 3 nights)
- Marseille (one day to visit Cassis/calanques); one day for beach; walk around Old Town
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 2 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 3 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 4 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 5 Portugal with large family
- 6 Help with out two middle days in Puglia
- 7 Help with Ireland itinerary
- 8 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 9 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 10 Croatia
- 11 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 12 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 13 Croatia trip Planning
- 14 If you had to choose one......
- 15 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 16 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 17 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 18 Church service in Dubrovnik
- 19 Driving in Italy?
- 20 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 21 Tour groups
- 22 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 23 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 24 Ireland in April
- 25 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
Provence family trip - suggestions on our itinerary please!