For all you Fodors' regulars, I know I've posted questions on this trip before, but my itinerary is finally developing. At this point, we're driving from Bordeaux to Valloire, in the Alps, in the 3rd week of July. We (2 empty nesters) have decided to spend 2 night in one spot in Provence and we've never been to the region before. I know we can't do it justice, but that's OK. The only "must do" for my engineer husband is Pont du Gard. Otherwise we can do some museum/history stuff, but really just want to relax, walk around a nice town or village, maybe do a wine tour or some other culinary experience, lavender fields??? Unfortunately, I don't have much time to do research. So...I'm looking on suggestions on where to stay and one or two things to see/do. It looks like we could follow A7 north to Valence and Grenoble OR go to Aix-en-Provence and then follow A51 north to Briancon. I know there will be traffic, mountain roads, etc. We have been to the Alps before. A friend suggested staying in Avignon, but I'm wondering if it is too much of a city. We really enjoy villages and B&B's where you get to know the proprietors and other guests. After 30 years together you run out of things to talk about! LOL! Suggestions? We enjoy wine but aren't experts, and prefer local food to 4-star famous restaurants. Thanks so much to everyone!
Provence - base for 2 nights?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy Apartment What To Bring
- 2 Easter week/ Semana Santa in Avila, Toledo, Segovia
- 3 Augsburg with kids
- 4 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 5 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 6 How far in advance should I book my car rentals ?
- 7 Paris in April?
- 8 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 9 RFID wallets do they really work?
- 10 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 11 Killing time in Positano without shopping or beachtime
- 12 Spontaneous trip to Ireland
- 13 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 14 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 15 4 night stay for 5 in interlaken
- 16 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 17 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 18 He said , she said
- 19 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 20 Recommendation for lovely italian town?
- 21 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 22 Pix from Dresden Trip
- 23 Italy Roma Card, Florence Card Recommended? Train Pass?
- 24 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 25 Sardinia 5 - 7 night, first time in March please help