For all you Fodors' regulars, I know I've posted questions on this trip before, but my itinerary is finally developing. At this point, we're driving from Bordeaux to Valloire, in the Alps, in the 3rd week of July. We (2 empty nesters) have decided to spend 2 night in one spot in Provence and we've never been to the region before. I know we can't do it justice, but that's OK. The only "must do" for my engineer husband is Pont du Gard. Otherwise we can do some museum/history stuff, but really just want to relax, walk around a nice town or village, maybe do a wine tour or some other culinary experience, lavender fields??? Unfortunately, I don't have much time to do research. So...I'm looking on suggestions on where to stay and one or two things to see/do. It looks like we could follow A7 north to Valence and Grenoble OR go to Aix-en-Provence and then follow A51 north to Briancon. I know there will be traffic, mountain roads, etc. We have been to the Alps before. A friend suggested staying in Avignon, but I'm wondering if it is too much of a city. We really enjoy villages and B&B's where you get to know the proprietors and other guests. After 30 years together you run out of things to talk about! LOL! Suggestions? We enjoy wine but aren't experts, and prefer local food to 4-star famous restaurants. Thanks so much to everyone!
Provence - base for 2 nights?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best of Southern France and Spain
- 2 Moving Back Home to Travel Back Again
- 3 Lyon Arrondissements
- 4 Lake Como -> Milan -> Last Supper; ferry,train,bus?? Help needed
- 5 Need suggestions for day trips in Provence
- 6 NT in devon and cornwall
- 7 help and advice
- 8 Keeping in touch with young children while in Europe
- 9 Bernina and Glacier Express routes
- 10 Italian Lakes + Switzerland
- 11 14 Day Swiss Itinerary Sep-2015
- 12 Possible London GTG between April 28/May1
- 13 Scenic Beauty in Greek Island ? Crete or other island ?
- 14 Garmisch
- 15 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 16 Venice - things to do?
- 17 Rome to Positano
- 18 DCC on the increase?
- 19 Need help with Normandy & Loire Valley itinerary + extra days
- 20 Which 2 of these 3: Lekeitio, Getaria, and Hondarribia
- 21 Chamonix to Lyon by train or bus
- 22 Italy/ Spain in December
- 23 travel in Spain or France from Barcelona or Madrid
- 24 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 25 Where to stay in Paris - first time young, solo female