For all you Fodors' regulars, I know I've posted questions on this trip before, but my itinerary is finally developing. At this point, we're driving from Bordeaux to Valloire, in the Alps, in the 3rd week of July. We (2 empty nesters) have decided to spend 2 night in one spot in Provence and we've never been to the region before. I know we can't do it justice, but that's OK. The only "must do" for my engineer husband is Pont du Gard. Otherwise we can do some museum/history stuff, but really just want to relax, walk around a nice town or village, maybe do a wine tour or some other culinary experience, lavender fields??? Unfortunately, I don't have much time to do research. So...I'm looking on suggestions on where to stay and one or two things to see/do. It looks like we could follow A7 north to Valence and Grenoble OR go to Aix-en-Provence and then follow A51 north to Briancon. I know there will be traffic, mountain roads, etc. We have been to the Alps before. A friend suggested staying in Avignon, but I'm wondering if it is too much of a city. We really enjoy villages and B&B's where you get to know the proprietors and other guests. After 30 years together you run out of things to talk about! LOL! Suggestions? We enjoy wine but aren't experts, and prefer local food to 4-star famous restaurants. Thanks so much to everyone!
Provence - base for 2 nights?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 flea markets in France
- 2 Ideas for a Mother-Daughter UK Trip
- 3 Switzerland itinerary help - 1 week Lauterbrunnen, 1 week ??
- 4 Madrid apartments
- 5 London neighborhood suggestions
- 6 Two days to spend in northern Spain traveling by car
- 7 Need ideas for a Christmas 2014 holiday vacation?
- 8 I need a haircut
- 9 What to wear
- 10 Timing a river cruise
- 11 High Level 12 day Itinerary for Turkey; Mountain Lovers and Photographer
- 12 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 13 We Need a Pact
- 14 Flying into Barcelona and have 5 days to go where?
- 15 Greece- general questions and itinerary
- 16 GENEVE,MONTREUX,INTERLAKEN and LUZERN or Weggis?
- 17 Tipping in Greece
- 18 Aberdeen Angus steakhouse
- 19 Honeymooning in Europe
- 20 Southern France
- 21 Germany A'dam Belgium Itinerary Help
- 22 Malmaison - how to get there from Paris
- 23 Spain tips beyond safety
- 24 Small group for Colosseum
- 25 American electrical gadgets