I meant to post this after my trip but forgot all about it. I'm sure many of you will recall a thread a while back regarding whether or not ATM cards will work in Turkey. I'm not talking about pure MasterCard or Visa credit cards, but rather those ATM/debit cards issued by your bank linked to your checking account which also carry a Visa or MasterCard logo on them. You know, the ones you use to get cash from an ATM machine where the money is deducted from your checking account . I've used my ATM card in Berlin and Prague to get cash with no issue, but recently there had been a question as to whether or not that would be possible in Turkey.
Prior to my recent trip to Istanbul, I notified my bank of the locations I would be traveling to so my card wouldn't be frozen when I tried to use it. The next day I received a phone call from the girl I had spoken to at the bank. She said the bank's security department called her when she submitted my information about my upcoming trip and informed her that ATM/Debit cards could no longer be used in Turkey due to the Turkish banking system. I would still be able to use my card in Paris and Frankfurt, but not Turkey.
I tried it out when I first got to Istanbul and apparently my bank was correct, as I was unable to withdraw any cash from an ATM machine using my ATM card.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trains in Italy
- 2 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 3 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 4 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 5 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 6 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 7 An evening in London
- 8 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 9 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 10 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 11 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 12 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 13 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 14 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 15 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 16 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 17 Apartment Montreux area
- 18 Rome or Venice first
- 19 Europe First Timers
- 20 Paris GTG October 6 - 14?
- 21 Safety in Rome
- 22 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 23 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 24 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 25 Chur or St Moritz?
Problem using American bank card in Turkey