I have decided to cancel my Madrid/Andalusia trip for late September, due to expected high temperatures (there was a previous thread) and instead consider Italy, which appears to have lower temperatures during that period.
I have prepared a preliminary schedule and would welcome your feedback. I will be using public transportation. I drove through Umbria once/twice, Tuscany several times, and spent most of that time driving through the countryside, and spent little time in the towns, so I now want more time to explore the towns.
Interests: History, Art and Architecture, exploring old towns. Good food and wine is a given.
Where I have been (fairly) recently in Italy and excluding or limiting time on this tip: Rome & Bologna October 2016, including side trips to Ravenna and Orvieto (excluding all). Florence Easter 2014, including side-trips to Arezzo, Fisole and Lucca (limited time in Florence, excluding Arezzo, Fisole, Lucca).
Here is my preliminary itinerary:
• Day 1: Friday: Early flight from London City Airport, landing in Venice at 11 am. Hotel in Venice
• Day 2: Saturday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 3: Sunday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 4: Monday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 5: Tuesday: Full day in Venice. Travel to Florence in evening. Hotel in Florence
• Day 6: Wednesday: Full day in Florence. Hotel in Florence
• Day 7: Thursday: Day trip to either Vollterra/Prato. Open to other suggestions. Hotel in Florence
• Day 8: Friday: Day trip to Siena. Hotel in Florence
• Day 9: Saturday: Full day in Florence. Travel to Perugia in evening. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 10: Sunday: Full day Perugia. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 11: Monday: Day trip to Spello, Hotel in Perugia
• Day 12: Tuesday: Day trip to Spoleto. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 13: Wednesday: Day trip Gubbio. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 14: Thursday: Day trip Pienza or Asissi. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 15: Friday: Full day Perugia or day trip to Todi. Travel to Florence in evening. Hotel in Florence
• Day 16: Saturday: Full day in Florence. Hotel in Florence
• Day 17: Sunday: Full day in Florence. Evening flight from Florence to London
This is very preliminary, and I am willing to take any suggestions on-board. For example, I am using Perugia as a base for exploring Umbrian towns – is this the best base and the best way to do it by public transportation? Can I combine a couple of towns in one day by public transportation? Am I prioritizing the towns correctly, or would you delete some and add others?
Many thanks in advance for your advice and guidance.
Kind regards … Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 2 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 3 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 4 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 5 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 6 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 7 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 8 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 9 Can you locate this picture in Greece?
- 10 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 11 Taking Renfe's FAVA Train Across Northern Spain?
- 12 Chania
- 13 Hiking in Austria and Innsbruck and Hallstatt
- 14 Car rental in Santorini port
- 15 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 16 Renting a car in Greece
- 17 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 18 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 19 renting a car in greece
- 20 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 21 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 22 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 23 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 24 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 25 retruning to US with souveniers
Preliminary Trip Planning for Venice/Florence/Umbria in late September