I have decided to cancel my Madrid/Andalusia trip for late September, due to expected high temperatures (there was a previous thread) and instead consider Italy, which appears to have lower temperatures during that period.
I have prepared a preliminary schedule and would welcome your feedback. I will be using public transportation. I drove through Umbria once/twice, Tuscany several times, and spent most of that time driving through the countryside, and spent little time in the towns, so I now want more time to explore the towns.
Interests: History, Art and Architecture, exploring old towns. Good food and wine is a given.
Where I have been (fairly) recently in Italy and excluding or limiting time on this tip: Rome & Bologna October 2016, including side trips to Ravenna and Orvieto (excluding all). Florence Easter 2014, including side-trips to Arezzo, Fisole and Lucca (limited time in Florence, excluding Arezzo, Fisole, Lucca).
Here is my preliminary itinerary:
• Day 1: Friday: Early flight from London City Airport, landing in Venice at 11 am. Hotel in Venice
• Day 2: Saturday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 3: Sunday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 4: Monday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 5: Tuesday: Full day in Venice. Travel to Florence in evening. Hotel in Florence
• Day 6: Wednesday: Full day in Florence. Hotel in Florence
• Day 7: Thursday: Day trip to either Vollterra/Prato. Open to other suggestions. Hotel in Florence
• Day 8: Friday: Day trip to Siena. Hotel in Florence
• Day 9: Saturday: Full day in Florence. Travel to Perugia in evening. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 10: Sunday: Full day Perugia. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 11: Monday: Day trip to Spello, Hotel in Perugia
• Day 12: Tuesday: Day trip to Spoleto. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 13: Wednesday: Day trip Gubbio. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 14: Thursday: Day trip Pienza or Asissi. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 15: Friday: Full day Perugia or day trip to Todi. Travel to Florence in evening. Hotel in Florence
• Day 16: Saturday: Full day in Florence. Hotel in Florence
• Day 17: Sunday: Full day in Florence. Evening flight from Florence to London
This is very preliminary, and I am willing to take any suggestions on-board. For example, I am using Perugia as a base for exploring Umbrian towns – is this the best base and the best way to do it by public transportation? Can I combine a couple of towns in one day by public transportation? Am I prioritizing the towns correctly, or would you delete some and add others?
Many thanks in advance for your advice and guidance.
Kind regards … Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 2 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 3 UK in May and June
- 4 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 5 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 6 Berlin activities -need help with organisation, please
- 7 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 8 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 9 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 10 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 11 Globus Iberian Tour
- 12 Spain: train/rental car help
- 13 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 14 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 15 Budapest Card
- 16 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 17 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 18 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 19 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 20 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 21 Bath/Cotswolds
- 22 Shorts in South of France?
- 23 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 24 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 25 base for Andalucia
Preliminary Trip Planning for Venice/Florence/Umbria in late September