I have decided to cancel my Madrid/Andalusia trip for late September, due to expected high temperatures (there was a previous thread) and instead consider Italy, which appears to have lower temperatures during that period.
I have prepared a preliminary schedule and would welcome your feedback. I will be using public transportation. I drove through Umbria once/twice, Tuscany several times, and spent most of that time driving through the countryside, and spent little time in the towns, so I now want more time to explore the towns.
Interests: History, Art and Architecture, exploring old towns. Good food and wine is a given.
Where I have been (fairly) recently in Italy and excluding or limiting time on this tip: Rome & Bologna October 2016, including side trips to Ravenna and Orvieto (excluding all). Florence Easter 2014, including side-trips to Arezzo, Fisole and Lucca (limited time in Florence, excluding Arezzo, Fisole, Lucca).
Here is my preliminary itinerary:
• Day 1: Friday: Early flight from London City Airport, landing in Venice at 11 am. Hotel in Venice
• Day 2: Saturday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 3: Sunday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 4: Monday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 5: Tuesday: Full day in Venice. Travel to Florence in evening. Hotel in Florence
• Day 6: Wednesday: Full day in Florence. Hotel in Florence
• Day 7: Thursday: Day trip to either Vollterra/Prato. Open to other suggestions. Hotel in Florence
• Day 8: Friday: Day trip to Siena. Hotel in Florence
• Day 9: Saturday: Full day in Florence. Travel to Perugia in evening. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 10: Sunday: Full day Perugia. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 11: Monday: Day trip to Spello, Hotel in Perugia
• Day 12: Tuesday: Day trip to Spoleto. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 13: Wednesday: Day trip Gubbio. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 14: Thursday: Day trip Pienza or Asissi. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 15: Friday: Full day Perugia or day trip to Todi. Travel to Florence in evening. Hotel in Florence
• Day 16: Saturday: Full day in Florence. Hotel in Florence
• Day 17: Sunday: Full day in Florence. Evening flight from Florence to London
This is very preliminary, and I am willing to take any suggestions on-board. For example, I am using Perugia as a base for exploring Umbrian towns – is this the best base and the best way to do it by public transportation? Can I combine a couple of towns in one day by public transportation? Am I prioritizing the towns correctly, or would you delete some and add others?
Many thanks in advance for your advice and guidance.
Kind regards … Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving through Paris
- 2 Spanish Medical Providers
- 3 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 4 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 5 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 6 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 7 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 8 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 9 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 10 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 11 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 12 Zurich to Milan trip
- 13 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 14 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 15 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 16 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 17 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 18 San Sebastián
- 19 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 20 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 21 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 22 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 23 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 24 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 25 Planning A trip
Preliminary Trip Planning for Venice/Florence/Umbria in late September