I have decided to cancel my Madrid/Andalusia trip for late September, due to expected high temperatures (there was a previous thread) and instead consider Italy, which appears to have lower temperatures during that period.
I have prepared a preliminary schedule and would welcome your feedback. I will be using public transportation. I drove through Umbria once/twice, Tuscany several times, and spent most of that time driving through the countryside, and spent little time in the towns, so I now want more time to explore the towns.
Interests: History, Art and Architecture, exploring old towns. Good food and wine is a given.
Where I have been (fairly) recently in Italy and excluding or limiting time on this tip: Rome & Bologna October 2016, including side trips to Ravenna and Orvieto (excluding all). Florence Easter 2014, including side-trips to Arezzo, Fisole and Lucca (limited time in Florence, excluding Arezzo, Fisole, Lucca).
Here is my preliminary itinerary:
• Day 1: Friday: Early flight from London City Airport, landing in Venice at 11 am. Hotel in Venice
• Day 2: Saturday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 3: Sunday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 4: Monday: Full day in Venice. Hotel in Venice
• Day 5: Tuesday: Full day in Venice. Travel to Florence in evening. Hotel in Florence
• Day 6: Wednesday: Full day in Florence. Hotel in Florence
• Day 7: Thursday: Day trip to either Vollterra/Prato. Open to other suggestions. Hotel in Florence
• Day 8: Friday: Day trip to Siena. Hotel in Florence
• Day 9: Saturday: Full day in Florence. Travel to Perugia in evening. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 10: Sunday: Full day Perugia. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 11: Monday: Day trip to Spello, Hotel in Perugia
• Day 12: Tuesday: Day trip to Spoleto. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 13: Wednesday: Day trip Gubbio. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 14: Thursday: Day trip Pienza or Asissi. Hotel in Perugia
• Day 15: Friday: Full day Perugia or day trip to Todi. Travel to Florence in evening. Hotel in Florence
• Day 16: Saturday: Full day in Florence. Hotel in Florence
• Day 17: Sunday: Full day in Florence. Evening flight from Florence to London
This is very preliminary, and I am willing to take any suggestions on-board. For example, I am using Perugia as a base for exploring Umbrian towns – is this the best base and the best way to do it by public transportation? Can I combine a couple of towns in one day by public transportation? Am I prioritizing the towns correctly, or would you delete some and add others?
Many thanks in advance for your advice and guidance.
Kind regards … Ger
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 YAHOO@ Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:982:8520 Technical SUPP0RTCAre
- 2 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 3 Now to Madrid
- 4 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 5 3 days solo in London
- 6 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 7 Chania
- 8 Edinbrugh
- 9 Berlin to ?
- 10 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 11 Hotels in Turin
- 12 Help on ancient history route
- 13 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 14 Studying art in English in venice
- 15 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 16 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 17 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 18 Forte dei Marmi - must see/do list
- 19 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 20 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 21 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 22 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 23 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 24 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 25 Croatia itinerary - need advice
Preliminary Trip Planning for Venice/Florence/Umbria in late September