We will be flying into Prague, taking a train to Vienna, and then taking a train through Austria, first stopping in Salzburg, and then spending some time in the Fussen/Reutte Alps area. A few questions:
1. Is it advisable to purchase train tickets in advance for all of our stops (to Vienna, Salzburg, and then Innsbruck, which looks like the best city in which to get a train direct from Salzburg, and then rent a car in Innsbruck). I was assuming that these were relatively major stops with multiple trains going through everyday, and that we therefore wouldn't need to worry about advance purchases. But now I'm wondering if I'm wrong. If I can buy tickets in advance, that would be my preference.
2. If I can purchase tickets in advance, what is the easiest way to do so? Can I print the tickets at home? Should I/can I make seat reservations as well?
3. Will a Salzburg to Innsbruck train ride give us the most options in terms of times and availability (as opposed to going from Salzburg to Fussen, for example). That is my assumption because Innsbruck is bigger, but maybe I am wrong? We will need to rent a car that is close to the train station, so I'm also assuming Innsbruck might have more car options (we need one that seats 5).
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Beaune looking for accommodation suggestions
- 2 Fodor's Survey
- 3 Barcelona question
- 4 Azores, Canary Islands, Mallorca, or Hawaii for August Honeymoon
- 5 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 6 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 7 Venice to Positano to Rome travel help
- 8 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 9 My 60th birthday surprises
- 10 20 Days in Europe
- 11 4 days in switzerland
- 12 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 13 Northern Italy 1 week HELP
- 14 Mallorca: Off the tourist trail
- 15 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 16 European Cooking Secrets
- 17 Beginner travelers on a budget to Marseille
- 18 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 19 March in Amsterdam 1 week spring break
- 20 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?
- 21 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 22 Rome, Florence and a cruise this fall
- 23 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 24 Help with first time trip with family
- 25 Suggestions for Drive to Milan