We will be flying into Prague, taking a train to Vienna, and then taking a train through Austria, first stopping in Salzburg, and then spending some time in the Fussen/Reutte Alps area. A few questions:
1. Is it advisable to purchase train tickets in advance for all of our stops (to Vienna, Salzburg, and then Innsbruck, which looks like the best city in which to get a train direct from Salzburg, and then rent a car in Innsbruck). I was assuming that these were relatively major stops with multiple trains going through everyday, and that we therefore wouldn't need to worry about advance purchases. But now I'm wondering if I'm wrong. If I can buy tickets in advance, that would be my preference.
2. If I can purchase tickets in advance, what is the easiest way to do so? Can I print the tickets at home? Should I/can I make seat reservations as well?
3. Will a Salzburg to Innsbruck train ride give us the most options in terms of times and availability (as opposed to going from Salzburg to Fussen, for example). That is my assumption because Innsbruck is bigger, but maybe I am wrong? We will need to rent a car that is close to the train station, so I'm also assuming Innsbruck might have more car options (we need one that seats 5).
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 2 Establishing a Realistic Food Budget
- 3 Holiday in Austria
- 4 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 5 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 6 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 7 Return to Rome Pre Cruise Trip Report October 2016
- 8 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 9 Northern Italy - where to go?
- 10 Paris Under Seige...
- 11 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 12 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 13 Does Wroclaw, Krakow, Warsaw sound like a good 8-day Polish trip?
- 14 Retiring to Southern France
- 15 Dublin Ireland Hotel Advice for early June
- 16 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 17 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 18 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 19 Train from Interlaken to Venice
- 20 Brief trip report Naples
- 21 Advices about our itiniary
- 22 Staying in Ventimiglia vs France
- 23 Chip and pin credit card 2015 question
- 24 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014
- 25 Coach with driver rental, Puglia Italy