We will be flying into Prague, taking a train to Vienna, and then taking a train through Austria, first stopping in Salzburg, and then spending some time in the Fussen/Reutte Alps area. A few questions:
1. Is it advisable to purchase train tickets in advance for all of our stops (to Vienna, Salzburg, and then Innsbruck, which looks like the best city in which to get a train direct from Salzburg, and then rent a car in Innsbruck). I was assuming that these were relatively major stops with multiple trains going through everyday, and that we therefore wouldn't need to worry about advance purchases. But now I'm wondering if I'm wrong. If I can buy tickets in advance, that would be my preference.
2. If I can purchase tickets in advance, what is the easiest way to do so? Can I print the tickets at home? Should I/can I make seat reservations as well?
3. Will a Salzburg to Innsbruck train ride give us the most options in terms of times and availability (as opposed to going from Salzburg to Fussen, for example). That is my assumption because Innsbruck is bigger, but maybe I am wrong? We will need to rent a car that is close to the train station, so I'm also assuming Innsbruck might have more car options (we need one that seats 5).
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Seville Itinerary
- 2 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 3 Are Munich and Vienna too similar for same trip?
- 4 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 5 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 6 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 7 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 8 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 9 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 10 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 11 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 12 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 13 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 14 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 15 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 16 Corsica experts: Where should I spend an extra night?
- 17 8 Days in Corsica--Not Enough!
- 18 Italy by car
- 19 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 20 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 21 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 22 T Mobile Does it Again
- 23 Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna
- 24 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 25 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?