We will be flying into Prague, taking a train to Vienna, and then taking a train through Austria, first stopping in Salzburg, and then spending some time in the Fussen/Reutte Alps area. A few questions:
1. Is it advisable to purchase train tickets in advance for all of our stops (to Vienna, Salzburg, and then Innsbruck, which looks like the best city in which to get a train direct from Salzburg, and then rent a car in Innsbruck). I was assuming that these were relatively major stops with multiple trains going through everyday, and that we therefore wouldn't need to worry about advance purchases. But now I'm wondering if I'm wrong. If I can buy tickets in advance, that would be my preference.
2. If I can purchase tickets in advance, what is the easiest way to do so? Can I print the tickets at home? Should I/can I make seat reservations as well?
3. Will a Salzburg to Innsbruck train ride give us the most options in terms of times and availability (as opposed to going from Salzburg to Fussen, for example). That is my assumption because Innsbruck is bigger, but maybe I am wrong? We will need to rent a car that is close to the train station, so I'm also assuming Innsbruck might have more car options (we need one that seats 5).
Prague to Vienna via Train, then Train through Austria
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Toulouse and beyond -
- 2 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 3 Munich with a car?
- 4 Reservation needed in Germany?
- 5 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 6 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 7 Day trip on the Rhine
- 8 Hut to hut hiking in Bavarian alps
- 9 Germany-berlin marathon
- 10 Italy for 3 in 12 days
- 11 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 12 museum passes in Rome
- 13 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014
- 14 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 15 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 16 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 17 Benefits of Living in an HOA Community of the Cindy Shearin Group
- 18 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 19 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 20 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 21 Best Time of Day and Vantage Point for Seven Sisters
- 22 Estonia Amber
- 23 My Italy Itinerary for July 2014
- 24 Quick notes from 2 weeks in Turkey
- 25 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days