I will be visiting Europe end of October through first half of November. My tentative itinerary is as follows:
Arrive in Prague
Prague - 5 nights
Cesky Krumlov - 2 nights
CK to Salzburg (via shuttle?)
Salzburg - 4 nights
Vienna - 6 nights
Budapest - 5 nights.
Fly home from Budapest.
I have posted before and it was suggested that I should take a shuttle from CK to Salzburg. I am still trying to figure out the last part of the trip and how to allot time in Salzburg, Vienna and Budapest . To give you an idea - I'm traveling solo so I may not do some of the outdoor things that may be easier or at least more enjoyable to do with another person. I enjoy history, fine art and architecture, not a drinker, enjoy music and plan on making a couple of standing room only opera visits just to experience it. Once I know when I'll be in which city, I'll post what operas are playing. Not interested in visiting too many churches -- will enjoy many from the outside. Will be using only public transportation.
Regarding Salzburg - - any opinions on a trip to Werfen ice caves? Apparently, Eagle's Nest likely will not be open as I will be arriving in Salzburg around Nov. 1st. I enjoy this history but am not familiar enough with Berchtesgaden and if it is worth a day trip at this point for the other sites there. I also would like to attend a musical event in Salzburg but nothing too upscale, just something simple to pass the time on an evening. I do not plan on a day trip to Hallstatt at this time.
Seems like I have a lot of time in Vienna and Budapest. Too much in Budapest? If I cut a day out of Budapest or Vienna, feel free to chime in with any ideas of other places to visit or how to redistribute my time on my overall route. I know Bratislava has been mentioned as a day trip from Vienna, so maybe I'll look into that again.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Oxford 24 hours
- 2 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 3 Chatsworth/Hardwick Hall Timing
- 4 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 5 England and Wales by public transport
- 6 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 7 Ireland & Scotland
- 8 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?
- 9 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 10 travelling to Munich and Paris without pre hotel booking
- 11 London's Must Sights!
- 12 Thello night train from Paris to Rome?
- 13 Two Capitals of Central Europe and an Interlude in Frankfurt
- 14 Swiss Pass dilemma
- 15 Hotel Bonaparte, Paris
- 16 Krka waterfalls- Best time and best hotel?
- 17 Andalucia in December
- 18 Midway stop btwn Paris & Venice?
- 19 Amsterdam Festival of LIghts
- 20 First trip to Italy
- 21 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 22 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 23 Poland & Ukraine Summer 2017
- 24 10 days Ireland June 30-July 11th, 2017
- 25 Holiday trip with kids - suggestions please!