I will be visiting Europe end of October through first half of November. My tentative itinerary is as follows:
Arrive in Prague
Prague - 5 nights
Cesky Krumlov - 2 nights
CK to Salzburg (via shuttle?)
Salzburg - 4 nights
Vienna - 6 nights
Budapest - 5 nights.
Fly home from Budapest.
I have posted before and it was suggested that I should take a shuttle from CK to Salzburg. I am still trying to figure out the last part of the trip and how to allot time in Salzburg, Vienna and Budapest . To give you an idea - I'm traveling solo so I may not do some of the outdoor things that may be easier or at least more enjoyable to do with another person. I enjoy history, fine art and architecture, not a drinker, enjoy music and plan on making a couple of standing room only opera visits just to experience it. Once I know when I'll be in which city, I'll post what operas are playing. Not interested in visiting too many churches -- will enjoy many from the outside. Will be using only public transportation.
Regarding Salzburg - - any opinions on a trip to Werfen ice caves? Apparently, Eagle's Nest likely will not be open as I will be arriving in Salzburg around Nov. 1st. I enjoy this history but am not familiar enough with Berchtesgaden and if it is worth a day trip at this point for the other sites there. I also would like to attend a musical event in Salzburg but nothing too upscale, just something simple to pass the time on an evening. I do not plan on a day trip to Hallstatt at this time.
Seems like I have a lot of time in Vienna and Budapest. Too much in Budapest? If I cut a day out of Budapest or Vienna, feel free to chime in with any ideas of other places to visit or how to redistribute my time on my overall route. I know Bratislava has been mentioned as a day trip from Vienna, so maybe I'll look into that again.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 2 Last two nights of SW England trip
- 3 Alitala
- 4 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 5 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 6 Copenhagen/Hamburg Trip Report September 2017
- 7 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 8 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 9 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 10 Rome or Venice first
- 11 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 12 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 13 celticmoon, a quick question
- 14 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 15 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 16 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 17 B&B in Ireland
- 18 Trip For Physical, Intellectual, Emotional Exercize
- 19 Europe First Timers
- 20 Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain
- 21 Trains in Italy
- 22 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 23 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 24 3 days in Spain - help where?!
- 25 Greek Village