I will be visiting Europe end of October through first half of November. My tentative itinerary is as follows:
Arrive in Prague
Prague - 5 nights
Cesky Krumlov - 2 nights
CK to Salzburg (via shuttle?)
Salzburg - 4 nights
Vienna - 6 nights
Budapest - 5 nights.
Fly home from Budapest.
I have posted before and it was suggested that I should take a shuttle from CK to Salzburg. I am still trying to figure out the last part of the trip and how to allot time in Salzburg, Vienna and Budapest . To give you an idea - I'm traveling solo so I may not do some of the outdoor things that may be easier or at least more enjoyable to do with another person. I enjoy history, fine art and architecture, not a drinker, enjoy music and plan on making a couple of standing room only opera visits just to experience it. Once I know when I'll be in which city, I'll post what operas are playing. Not interested in visiting too many churches -- will enjoy many from the outside. Will be using only public transportation.
Regarding Salzburg - - any opinions on a trip to Werfen ice caves? Apparently, Eagle's Nest likely will not be open as I will be arriving in Salzburg around Nov. 1st. I enjoy this history but am not familiar enough with Berchtesgaden and if it is worth a day trip at this point for the other sites there. I also would like to attend a musical event in Salzburg but nothing too upscale, just something simple to pass the time on an evening. I do not plan on a day trip to Hallstatt at this time.
Seems like I have a lot of time in Vienna and Budapest. Too much in Budapest? If I cut a day out of Budapest or Vienna, feel free to chime in with any ideas of other places to visit or how to redistribute my time on my overall route. I know Bratislava has been mentioned as a day trip from Vienna, so maybe I'll look into that again.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Loire Valley restaurants
- 2 Rome Water Shortage
- 3 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 4 Travel from Barcelona to Dordogne
- 5 Justairports.com or Heathrow Express?
- 6 Appenzell in December?
- 7 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 8 Valencia Spain
- 9 Driving in Italy
- 10 Advise for driving from Lecce, to Pescara, Italy.
- 11 The DCC scam is spreading
- 12 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 13 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria
- 14 Day Trips from Granada
- 15 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 16 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 17 Christmas in Spain
- 18 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 19 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 20 Visiting Zurich
- 21 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 22 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 23 Moldova and Transnistria
- 24 Getting around London
- 25 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?