Hello fellow travelers,
We're in the second half of our trip to Barcelona and Italy, and we have had many issues getting money out of the ATMs in both Spain and Italy with our Capital One 360 card. However, until we got to Bellagio, we were able to get by with 500€ at a time ( which we were doing to get enough to pay cash/ get 10% discount on our hotel bill).
In Bellagio, when we tried to get more than 500€ in a day, the machine refused the transaction, and so we tried smaller amounts, at which point, it suddenly stopped recognizing the card! I called Cap1, and was assured that the problem is not on their end, but that perhaps we'd gone over our limit by forgetting to take the dollar/euro exchange as well as fees for the host bank into account.
So, the next day we tried my husband's card, linked to the same account, and he got 500€, then tried to get 250€ more to pay the hotel: at which point, his card stopped working!
We went into a bank in Bellagio, but they would not give us an advance on the card. Then, we tried our cards in San Gimignano yesterday, thinking it would be okay since it was a new 24 hour period. Neither card was recognized, so we went into a bank there, but she told us that their branch was not authorized to give cash. She suggested Poggibonsi or Florence branches, possibly Siena.
This morning, my husband walked into a bank in Siena, but no one spoke English. So in desperation, he tried our ATM Card with Bank of America, even knowing of the hefty fees, and that card wasn't recognized either!
We will be in Florence in two days, and we can try the BNL Italia branch, which has helped us before. Hopefully, they will help, but I have my doubts...
Do any of you seasoned travelers have any suggestions for us? Our cash is getting low. We have been charging everything, but we still have over a week to go, and this is getting scary!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ali
- 2 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 3 Oct '16 Tuscany assistance
- 4 Too much for one day?
- 5 Travel WiFi - France
- 6 Norfolk base
- 7 Lipari to Capri??
- 8 TGV route Avignon - Paris
- 9 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 10 Iceland Trip report
- 11 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 12 12 days europe
- 13 Train in France-1st versus 2nd class?
- 14 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 15 Spain Itinerary Help
- 16 Drinks in Spain
- 17 Viator's Tuscany in one day sightseeing tour
- 18 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 19 13 days in Paris, plans and budget
- 20 RFID Protection
- 21 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 22 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 23 from Charles de Gaulle to central Paris
- 24 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 25 Christmas Week in London
Hello fellow travelers,