So I booked a ticket from Rome to Bolzano using Trenitalia. I ended up with a 2nd class economy ticket on the frecciargento to Verona, then a Regionale to Bolzano.
Now, it looks like my trip plans have changed, and now I wish to make a stopover in Modena to visit the Ferrari factory. This means I have to change my train itinerary from Rome>Verona>Bolzano to Rome>Bologna>Modena and then buy an additional Modena>Bologna/Bolzano.
Is it possible to change my existing ticket, so that I can apply the money paid on the original ticket to the new itinerary? It is not just a time change but an actual itinerary/destination change- I looked around for info on that but it did not seem obvious if it was possible. "Economy" tickets say they are changeable but not refundable, but I don't know if changeable means just picking a new time, or if you can change the destination too.
I logged into trenitalia and selected my trip, then chose "exchange solution", but when I went through it had an error saying that the ticket class must be "economy cambia biglietto". I don't know if it is some random error or a consequence of a limitation of the Economy ticket.
Would this be possible if I called trenitalia on the phone? (Do their agents speak english? I know no italian) or, can I get this changed at a train station once I arrive in Italy and am able to speak to someone at the ticketing desk, or would I have to simply eat the price paid for the previously booked ticket and just book new ones to reflect the new itinerary?
Thanks, not sure how best to proceed from here
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Anybody rented from Allure-Apart?
- 2 France and Switzerland in 15 days
- 3 Puglia, and a touch of Rome
- 4 Travel plan help in Germany
- 5 Where to stay in Paris for our 1st time there?
- 6 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 7 Breakfast: London
- 8 Camino Redux
- 9 1st time in London - Location wise, which would be the better for us?
- 10 Pylos to Corinth with two days to spare, perhaps in Arcadia?
- 11 Athens, Greece--transfer from airport to downtown hotel
- 12 Return hire car to Athens airport early tomorrow morning
- 13 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 14 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 15 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 16 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 17 A weekend in Jurassic Coast
- 18 How to ask for glass or carafe of tap water in Portuguese
- 19 Amalfi Coast by Car
- 20 Where in Europe for 15 full days from 21 Oct to 6 Nov 2016?
- 21 Italy: your favorite national park?
- 22 5 minutes to change trains in La Spezia???
- 23 What is your favorite travel app?
- 24 PLITVICE LAKES
- 25 Porto Portugal Hotels
Possible to change economy ticket on trenitalia to new destination?