So I booked a ticket from Rome to Bolzano using Trenitalia. I ended up with a 2nd class economy ticket on the frecciargento to Verona, then a Regionale to Bolzano.
Now, it looks like my trip plans have changed, and now I wish to make a stopover in Modena to visit the Ferrari factory. This means I have to change my train itinerary from Rome>Verona>Bolzano to Rome>Bologna>Modena and then buy an additional Modena>Bologna/Bolzano.
Is it possible to change my existing ticket, so that I can apply the money paid on the original ticket to the new itinerary? It is not just a time change but an actual itinerary/destination change- I looked around for info on that but it did not seem obvious if it was possible. "Economy" tickets say they are changeable but not refundable, but I don't know if changeable means just picking a new time, or if you can change the destination too.
I logged into trenitalia and selected my trip, then chose "exchange solution", but when I went through it had an error saying that the ticket class must be "economy cambia biglietto". I don't know if it is some random error or a consequence of a limitation of the Economy ticket.
Would this be possible if I called trenitalia on the phone? (Do their agents speak english? I know no italian) or, can I get this changed at a train station once I arrive in Italy and am able to speak to someone at the ticketing desk, or would I have to simply eat the price paid for the previously booked ticket and just book new ones to reflect the new itinerary?
Thanks, not sure how best to proceed from here
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia Itenerary
- 2 Austria czech republic itinerary
- 3 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 4 Bavaria in August
- 5 Regensburg then the mountains - Garmish-Partenkirchen this time?
- 6 Guarda ->Zurich, Luzern->Ascona
- 7 Swiss Burial/Grave Customs - ?
- 8 Bandol port of call
- 9 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 10 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 11 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 12 August
- 13 Teens in Paris..what to wear
- 14 Budget friendly restaurants in Rome
- 15 What tickets to purchase for Rome attractons before leaving the States
- 16 Quick 13 day Italy trip
- 17 So glad we went to Greece (and London always)
- 18 Has anyone used Travelex as a debit card in Italy?
- 19 Stop between Munich and Cochem (long train ride)
- 20 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
- 21 One week in Sicily - Taormina, Ortigia, Agrigento & Palermo
- 22 Italy June 2016 - Attire?
- 23 Shopping in Paris
- 24 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 25 Plitvice Lakes - is it worth it for a short visit?
Possible to change economy ticket on trenitalia to new destination?