So I booked a ticket from Rome to Bolzano using Trenitalia. I ended up with a 2nd class economy ticket on the frecciargento to Verona, then a Regionale to Bolzano.
Now, it looks like my trip plans have changed, and now I wish to make a stopover in Modena to visit the Ferrari factory. This means I have to change my train itinerary from Rome>Verona>Bolzano to Rome>Bologna>Modena and then buy an additional Modena>Bologna/Bolzano.
Is it possible to change my existing ticket, so that I can apply the money paid on the original ticket to the new itinerary? It is not just a time change but an actual itinerary/destination change- I looked around for info on that but it did not seem obvious if it was possible. "Economy" tickets say they are changeable but not refundable, but I don't know if changeable means just picking a new time, or if you can change the destination too.
I logged into trenitalia and selected my trip, then chose "exchange solution", but when I went through it had an error saying that the ticket class must be "economy cambia biglietto". I don't know if it is some random error or a consequence of a limitation of the Economy ticket.
Would this be possible if I called trenitalia on the phone? (Do their agents speak english? I know no italian) or, can I get this changed at a train station once I arrive in Italy and am able to speak to someone at the ticketing desk, or would I have to simply eat the price paid for the previously booked ticket and just book new ones to reflect the new itinerary?
Thanks, not sure how best to proceed from here
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is a canal pass and museum entry worth buying ahead of visit?
- 2 Italy by car
- 3 Venice to Frankfort - via Switzerland?
- 4 Easiest way to send photo eq. to the hotel
- 5 Paris gtg in October?
- 6 Lake Garda- Italy
- 7 Quaint Towns within 2hr Driving from Amsterdam
- 8 Toulouse, The Dordogne(based in Sarlat) and Paris
- 9 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 10 Shuttle From Avignon TGV to Avignon Centre
- 11 T Mobile Does it Again
- 12 Off to Ireland again! Solo trip...
- 13 Copenhagen / Stockholm trip advice
- 14 5 Ladies, 4 Destinations and 1 Month
- 15 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 16 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 17 Getting From Milan to Arezzo
- 18 Sample itinerary Germany in March
- 19 European Championship
- 20 Plan Italy trip
- 21 Stu Dudley's Provence and French Riviera Itinerary
- 22 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 23 Six ways Brexit could hit Americans, item from the BBC
- 24 Cancelling apartment in PARIS
- 25 Paris dinner cruises...best of the best if there is such a thing
Possible to change economy ticket on trenitalia to new destination?