So I booked a ticket from Rome to Bolzano using Trenitalia. I ended up with a 2nd class economy ticket on the frecciargento to Verona, then a Regionale to Bolzano.
Now, it looks like my trip plans have changed, and now I wish to make a stopover in Modena to visit the Ferrari factory. This means I have to change my train itinerary from Rome>Verona>Bolzano to Rome>Bologna>Modena and then buy an additional Modena>Bologna/Bolzano.
Is it possible to change my existing ticket, so that I can apply the money paid on the original ticket to the new itinerary? It is not just a time change but an actual itinerary/destination change- I looked around for info on that but it did not seem obvious if it was possible. "Economy" tickets say they are changeable but not refundable, but I don't know if changeable means just picking a new time, or if you can change the destination too.
I logged into trenitalia and selected my trip, then chose "exchange solution", but when I went through it had an error saying that the ticket class must be "economy cambia biglietto". I don't know if it is some random error or a consequence of a limitation of the Economy ticket.
Would this be possible if I called trenitalia on the phone? (Do their agents speak english? I know no italian) or, can I get this changed at a train station once I arrive in Italy and am able to speak to someone at the ticketing desk, or would I have to simply eat the price paid for the previously booked ticket and just book new ones to reflect the new itinerary?
Thanks, not sure how best to proceed from here
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 2 Paris to Italy
- 3 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 4 Barcelona alternative
- 5 Driving through Paris
- 6 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 7 Spanish Medical Providers
- 8 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 9 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 10 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 11 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 12 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 13 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 14 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 15 9 Days in Spain
- 16 Road trip with our dog
- 17 Frankfurt to UK
- 18 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 19 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 20 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 21 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 22 Electrical Power Conversion
- 23 Douro Valley in January?
- 24 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 25 Switzerland Trip Report 7 Days September End
Possible to change economy ticket on trenitalia to new destination?