I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 2 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 3 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 4 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 5 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 6 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 7 Rest Stops from Tuscany to Umbria
- 8 barcelona neighborhood
- 9 Regarding Residence Permit
- 10 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 11 Trip Report: Denmark, 2017
- 12 Tracking the Weather
- 13 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 14 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 15 Les Invalides Night Show
- 16 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 17 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 18 Which Day?
- 19 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 20 Support Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, etc
- 21 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 22 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 23 Itinerary Three Weeks Greece Fall 2018
- 24 Dublin to Dun Laoughaire on a Sunday
- 25 Good mobile plan for traveller