I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vicenza and Padua (Palladian villas) without a car
- 2 St Germain
- 3 Lakes District UK
- 4 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 5 Suggestions for Munich in early December
- 6 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 7 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 8 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 9 Have you recently visited Copenhagen?
- 10 Oct. 2014 in Croatia, Slovenia, Montenagro and Bosnia-Herzegovina: TR
- 11 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 12 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 13 Rome Areas to stay
- 14 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 15 Pleasant Perches from which to Ponder Paris?
- 16 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 17 Sicily in May 2015 Itinerary Question
- 18 Versailles-How Long to Plan for a Visit to Trianons
- 19 Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice with 4 teenagers, 1 kid, 19 days perfect!
- 20 December vacation help, 2 weeks - southern Italy or Spain or other?
- 21 Careful now in train stations even after security
- 22 Amsterdam + Alps + Tuscany in 2 weeks
- 23 When to go to Sicily
- 24 Wengen to Torino?
- 25 Suggestions for places to stay on Madeira, but not Funchal? And driving?