I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 2 4 days in switzerland
- 3 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 4 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 5 European Cooking Secrets
- 6 Basque country ideas
- 7 Schengen Visa Question - Student Visa / Visitor Visa
- 8 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 9 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 10 Hikrchick & Hikrguy back from (cool & rainy but) fabulous Paris
- 11 Need itinerary suggestions for 7 days in Spain before Christmas Eve
- 12 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 13 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 14 the ultimate trip report Barcelona
- 15 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 16 Amalfi Coast to Barcelona
- 17 First trip to Italy
- 18 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 19 Travel vs. Babies
- 20 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 21 Manchester (MAN) vs. Heathrow
- 22 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 23 Eastern Provence, French Alps, Nice
- 24 Almalfi coast late March? Or Piedmont?
- 25 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?