I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venturing even further
- 2 How are Asians perceived in the Netherlands and Norway?
- 3 One Step at a Time - julia_t begins the Camino de Santiago
- 4 HELP- 4days challenge: Amsterdam + Zaanse.S + D.Haag+ Kinderdijk
- 5 pick pockets in Rome
- 6 Phone for GPS in Italy/Europe--T Mobile Simple Choice ? Buy a SIM card?
- 7 Help! Trains to Brugge from Brussels
- 8 Outrageous car rental price in Lofoten, Norway!
- 9 Transport around Europe
- 10 Planning west-east trip along Alps: Help!
- 11 Velib: Paris' bike-sharing program
- 12 Is Capri worth going to?
- 13 19 day Sicily Oct itinerary --take 2
- 14 Paris - Public Toilets Are a Changing...
- 15 Hotels in Paris
- 16 How to enjoy Paris on a low/moderate budget?
- 17 How do you buy a Camper Van in Europe? Help ME!
- 18 At least 13 dead as flash floods hit the French Riviera
- 19 Tapas in Madrid and other stuff to do
- 20 The Definitive Guide to Behave Like A Local in Spain
- 21 French Toll Roads Chip & sign Credit Card Payments
- 22 Base for 3 days in Galicia
- 23 Planning a Trip in Scandinavia
- 24 Rugby World Cup - is your team playing?
- 25 Which town-base for Lake Garda