I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italian Riviera
- 2 Last min prep for Krakow - Questions
- 3 Switzerland in mid-April
- 4 sfo to europe
- 5 Rue des Rosiers
- 6 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 7 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 8 Pyrenees villages sth of Lourdes
- 9 Hamam Istanbul?
- 10 Holiday in Austria
- 11 Paris Under Seige...
- 12 Christmas in London (& Paris)
- 13 First Trip to Europe!
- 14 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 15 visa appointment experience
- 16 Purchasing Italian train tickets from USA!
- 17 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 18 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 19 Received Black Friday ads feom Europe
- 20 Snakes on a Plane? Our Thanksgiving in Paris!
- 21 Scotland Trip
- 22 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 23 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 24 Fabulous Greece-Santorini, Naxos and Athens
- 25 What to take to Germany