I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
- 1 One more last question on Bayeux
- 2 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 3 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 4 banger rally around europe?
- 5 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 6 Euro Train
- 7 Spain Train Reservations - Seat assignment
- 8 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 9 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 10 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 11 Spain - Andalucia
- 12 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 13 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 14 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 15 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 16 Trip around Spain
- 17 Crete - trip report - 3 weeks May 2013, a great and surprising trip!
- 18 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 19 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 20 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 21 Travelling from Venice to the Cinque Terre towns.
- 22 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 23 My first visit to Ireland, next year.
- 24 Medieval Tallinn
- 25 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome