I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Istanbul water
- 2 Renewing our vows in Venice
- 3 Trying to get a handle on our 19 days in Tuscany and Umbria
- 4 Spain Rental Car Logistics - Barcelona Train Station
- 5 Help finding private transfer from Monte Gordo, Portugal to Seville, Spain
- 6 Venice: budget hotel for high school group?
- 7 Music and/or Favorite Day Trips, Barcelona
- 8 Add a day to Madrid or Barcelona??
- 9 A Travel Junkie and Pastry Chef's Wet Dream
- 10 Cinque Terre v Tuscany
- 11 Budapest hop on hop off bus tour
- 12 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 13 Advice for a trip to Venice
- 14 3 WEEKS IN SICILY - ITINERARY HELP
- 15 Day Trips from Nice
- 16 Day trip from Barcelona? Single female
- 17 Iwan2go went to the Dordogne
- 18 Madrid: City Views
- 19 How much luggage?????
- 20 Cornwall or Paris?
- 21 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 22 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 23 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 24 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 25 Madrid: Historic Homes & Gardens