I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe itinerary
- 2 France for a month in 2017
- 3 Venice Film Fest
- 4 Berlin/Prague/Vienna/Budapest
- 5 All of Spain or something else..?
- 6 10 Days in Spain is this do-able or nuts?
- 7 Poland, Czech, Slovak Summer Holiday
- 8 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Belgium and France
- 9 Italy/ Sicily - Help with area west of Palermo
- 10 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 11 Four favorite things to do in Paris during the Christmas holidays
- 12 Books and Films about/set in Southern Italy
- 13 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 14 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 15 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 16 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 17 evening of song and dance
- 18 Naples or Genoa
- 19 Flaminco recommendations for Seville September 29 to October 1
- 20 SIM card
- 21 Our time in Rome
- 22 Provins as a day trip from Paris
- 23 Rioja - Where to Stay the Night?
- 24 Suicide bombing in Ansbach
- 25 Europe itinerary review