I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bernina or Glacier Express?
- 2 Versailles or Mont St Michel ?
- 3 10 Days trip to Europe
- 4 how to spend 9 nights in Provence (France)
- 5 Time to go through customs in Glascow, Scotland
- 6 8 Day trip to Swiss and France
- 7 Tirano to Paris via bernina express in 1 day
- 8 SatNav and GPS systems that show speed cameras are illegal
- 9 Scenic drive: Seville-Granada-Barcelona
- 10 French Prem Train Fares
- 11 Finalizing Itinerary
- 12 American looking for any work in Italy
- 13 Day Trip from Geneva - Need Advice
- 14 Draft Ireland itinerary - does it look ok?
- 15 Credit cards in Italy & France
- 16 Madrid to Dordogne
- 17 Andalucia - Food Vocabulary - suggestions, corrections?
- 18 Itinerary help for family with young kids
- 19 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 20 Another Visit to London
- 21 London Weekly Apartment
- 22 Puglia impressions, in brief
- 23 Papal Audience at the Vatican
- 24 Two days in Switzerland or Lake Como Italy
- 25 Euro Quiz # 103 - Rivers!