I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 2 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 3 Too many Trip Reports
- 4 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 5 How much do you spend on travel in Europe?
- 6 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 7 Great London Bars with a view
- 8 Art in Paris
- 9 I dream of Europe
- 10 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 11 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 12 Rental car while in Ireland
- 13 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 14 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 15 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 16 A few ( stupid) questions 1st time to Paris
- 17 Reykjavik hotels
- 18 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 19 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 20 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 21 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 22 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 23 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 24 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 25 Help with England/Wales tour