I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vatican City questions
- 2 Which city am i likely to see more skin in? Athens/Prague or Vienna
- 3 3 weeks - Helsinki-Tallinn-Riga-Vilnius - Aug/Sept.
- 4 From Genoa to Camgoli by Train
- 5 Painted Hall in London well worth a visit!!
- 6 Cooking tours 3-4 days June 4 in Northern Italy
- 7 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 8 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 9 Holy mass with Vienna Boys Choir
- 10 Piedmont as a destination
- 11 dinner jackets
- 12 Santa Margherta Ligure, Rapallo, Portofino....
- 13 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 14 Garda Land
- 15 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 16 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 17 Should we get a Swiss Travel Pass?
- 18 2 weeks Europe trip
- 19 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 20 Booked intercity Flight, Confirmation misplaced
- 21 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 22 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 23 Cordoba Overnight?
- 24 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 25 Need Help with German Train Schedule