I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scottland for a day!
- 2 A guide to Madrid
- 3 Amalfi Coast town to stay in?
- 4 Bavarian Accommodations - Need Your Assistance
- 5 First ever europe trip
- 6 northern Portugal
- 7 Best Tours of Europe
- 8 England, Paris itinerary help
- 9 Where to stay in Bilbao and best way to get to airport.
- 10 Five weeks in Portugal - Does this route make sense?
- 11 Euro Travel Quiz # 41 - Food for Thought!
- 12 Help Us Plan Our Trip- Almafi Coast and Sicily
- 13 Best london location to stay?
- 14 10 day itinerary in Puglia
- 15 Taking a 5 day trip to Europe
- 16 Scotland and northern England
- 17 Toulouse, The Dordogne(based in Sarlat) and Paris
- 18 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 19 Help me with this trip
- 20 Help me plan a Trip
- 21 Europe first timers
- 22 Germany and Switzerland
- 23 Prague for a week?
- 24 Lyon circular road itinerary help please
- 25 Dolce Far Niente....the sweetness of doing nothing (well almost) in Paris