I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Josselin region of Brittany
- 2 Macarons!
- 3 Need Advice for Stuttgart/Munich Area
- 4 driving day trip to la rioja from San Sebastian- winery / lunchcstops
- 5 Best way to get from Athens to Naples & rec for Greek Isles & Amalfi Coast
- 6 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 7 Help with Greece Itinerary for Honeymoon!
- 8 Venice, then ?, then Munich
- 9 An Apartment in Montmartre (for a month)
- 10 Paris Apartment for 7 - deciding between 2 choices
- 11 Help with 6 days in Switzerland
- 12 Rome 2015- A Spring Break Adventure!
- 13 7 days in Portugal-itinerary help
- 14 Berlin Itinerary
- 15 Need Help, Iceland
- 16 Hotel and activity recommendations in Basque Region??
- 17 Please help me give good travel advice
- 18 Best base for Cinque Terre, Portofino, Rapallo?
- 19 driving from palermo to sciacca
- 20 Travel throught Europe
- 21 Where to stay two nights before flying from Heathrow?
- 22 2 week France Itinerary Opinions Please
- 23 DCC on the increase?
- 24 Netherlands-Belgium-Northern France Itinerary Help
- 25 How to Buy Fiorentina v Sevilla Football Tickets