I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Western Mediterranean Honeymoon Cruise Leaving from Barcelona
- 2 St. John's Navalis feast/festival in Prague
- 3 Looking for nice regions with good public transport
- 4 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 5 Rocamaxour
- 6 DEAUVILLE or HONFLEUR for overnight stay?
- 7 Trattorias/Bars/Restaurants Open Sunday & Monday in Monti (or other)Rome
- 8 Mother daughter London/Ireland trip
- 9 Itinerary for Spain
- 10 Dordogne prehistoric sites
- 11 Practicing Spanish while in Spain - any ideas?
- 12 Berlin to Prague via Dresden
- 13 Paradors in Avila, Segovia, Salamanca and Cuenca Spain
- 14 2 different itineraries
- 15 Recommend a tour company?
- 16 Itinerary help
- 17 England in 7 days
- 18 France and Italy 15 nights. Suggestions welcomed.
- 19 Germany -Preliminary Planning 2 weeks in Sept/15
- 20 Day Trips from Paris
- 21 Rome: Vatican to Tiburtina Station by bus?
- 22 Spanish Music
- 23 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 24 first trip to Spain - questions and itinerary review
- 25 Travel with kids (6 & 8 yrs) to Germany/Switzerland/Liechtenstein