I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 2 Tuscany intinerary-what to do on a Sunday
- 3 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 4 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 5 Southern France
- 6 Questions for my German friends
- 7 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 8 Bikerscott & Jamikins in Portugal 2010/2011
- 9 The Times reveals secret best beaches: mediterranean
- 10 Short Trip to Iceland - Lake Myvatn or Jokulsarlon?
- 11 Eatwith - dine with locals
- 12 Just starting to ponder a family trip to Iceland...
- 13 Transportation from Airport in Reykjavik to downtown hotel
- 14 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 15 SIM card for eastern europe
- 16 Foie gras, redux
- 17 Cooking classes in Belgium
- 18 Back from Budapest- Report Including Eger, Szentendre and London
- 19 Advance Tickest from Piraeus to Islands?
- 20 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 21 italy
- 22 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 23 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 24 London in 3 days! Help with lodging, please!
- 25 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?