I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cell Phone Question
- 2 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 3 Reputable Apartment Company in Granada
- 4 Reindeer Migration on NRK
- 5 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 6 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 7 Greek Islands (small)
- 8 Madrid Hotel; Europa, Preciados or Petit Palace Posada de Peine?
- 9 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 10 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 11 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 12 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 13 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 14 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 15 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 16 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 17 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 18 Help required with Itinerary
- 19 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 20 Are there any Paris walking guides I should add to my collection?
- 21 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 22 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 23 Campervan in Croatia
- 24 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 25 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?