I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Euro 2016 Football championship
- 2 First Time Europe Trip
- 3 14 days in Europe: Paris, Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome
- 4 Honeymoon Plans London+Paris+??April-May
- 5 First Zermatt Ski Trip
- 6 Slovenia + Croatia HELP!
- 7 St Andrews advice
- 8 3 nights in Tuscany
- 9 Cordoba or Granada?
- 10 Tour Recommendations Venice, Florence, Rom
- 11 4 or 5 nights Berlin
- 12 Flying with Air France and Alitalia
- 13 FIRST TIME VISIT TO SWITZERLAND
- 14 Alhambra night tour tickets question / Seville Alcazar night tour
- 15 Need help with 2.5 days Rome itinerary
- 16 train from ams to paris
- 17 Backpack with Infant carrier?
- 18 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 19 Poland in September
- 20 Why I loved Riga (Latvia)
- 21 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 22 Cheap Paris Boutiques
- 23 where to stay (and how long), what to see around Nuremberg
- 24 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 25 Driving in Sicily: Help!