I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 2 Itinerary Help
- 3 T Mobile Does it Again
- 4 St Andrews or Edinburgh
- 5 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 6 Hungary itinerary Help
- 7 Dolomites October 14-18
- 8 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 9 Lyon
- 10 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 11 European Championship
- 12 Road Trip - Genoa, Italy to Bordeaux, France
- 13 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 14 Italy by car
- 15 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 16 Tuscany: Which town(s) to stay in if main priorities are wine & food?
- 17 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 18 7 days St Moritz, Interlaken, Zermatt
- 19 Flights to Venice--how much time is enough for stop in Amsterdam?
- 20 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 21 12 days in Austria
- 22 Planning a 10 day Swiss and Austrian Tour
- 23 sim card
- 24 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 25 Can't go to Ravello so....where?