I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 House Hunting in France
- 2 Sicily
- 3 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 4 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 5 Rota Vicentina hike report October 2014
- 6 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 7 Hotel in Vienna
- 8 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 9 If you had to choose one......
- 10 Car rental from Barcelona
- 11 Tuscany Day Trip Ideas?
- 12 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 13 Itinerary Tweaking
- 14 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 15 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 16 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 17 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 18 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 19 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 20 Ireland in April
- 21 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 22 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 23 Help with Ireland itinerary
- 24 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 25 A night's stop between Sarlat and Amboise.