I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One night somewhere between Zurich and Geneva
- 2 Family trip to France with kids
- 3 10-12 nights in Switzerland and France
- 4 Where to honeymoon in Southern France and Northern Italy?
- 5 Europe in June with 8-year old
- 6 Alhambra tickets for May?
- 7 Help - Train: Florence to Salerno & Ferry: Salerno to Positano
- 8 Paris Shopping - stationery, linens, hats, kitchen stuff
- 9 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 10 Looking for Decent Beach near Marseille, France
- 11 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 12 Time to get lowest airfare to Norway
- 13 More time in Colmar/Strasbourg vs a day for Reims or Chartes
- 14 Please help me plan my trip!
- 15 A week in spain
- 16 Medieval Dinner other than Bunratty
- 17 Vienna and Prague or Venice/Sienna/Rome for honeymoon?
- 18 Greece with 10yr old who wants to re-live Greek mythology
- 19 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 20 Northwestern Switzerland Fall 2014
- 21 where to stay in Lake Como in mid-May?
- 22 Europe Quiz: Wednesday # 68 - Jews in Europe
- 23 Car Rental in Iceland
- 24 Backpacking Europe (3-4 Weeks)
- 25 Transposed names on TGV tickets