I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 2 Experience with car service "Paris Cab" and others that have carseats?
- 3 Venice to Milan train tickets (for August travel) sold out already?
- 4 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 5 Advice for budget trip to Venice, espec trains & Groupons
- 6 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 7 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 8 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 9 campsite availability in peak season - Spain/Portgual/France
- 10 Pronunciation
- 11 Special restaurants - recommendations needed
- 12 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 13 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 14 Crete/Santorini OR Positano/Capri - where to visit?
- 15 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 16 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 17 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 18 best time to book accommodation
- 19 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 20 Mosquitos in Camargue---is it really that bad??
- 21 London visit
- 22 Long Weekend in Lisbon - Loved it!
- 23 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 24 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 25 No points in Paris .....