I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 2 Beaches in Southern France
- 3 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 4 Wearing The Hijab in Slovenia???
- 5 Spain Itinerary Help
- 6 Iceland Waterfall Advice
- 7 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 8 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)
- 9 3 weeks in France, solo and without a car: please advise!
- 10 Switzerland and Northern Italy
- 11 What to do in Lauterbrunnen with Toddler
- 12 cell phone companys
- 13 italy itinerary
- 14 Krka waterfalls- Best time and best hotel?
- 15 Rome Rental Car
- 16 Marseille or Cassis for Day in Port?
- 17 Driving from Rome to Florence?
- 18 3 days with a Swindon base
- 19 3 days to spend in europe
- 20 Italy for the first time
- 21 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 22 Toddler stroller - Yes or No for Switzerland trip?
- 23 Train Ticket with Swiss Pass or individual ticket?
- 24 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?
- 25 Why doesn't anyone talk about staying in the 2nd arr in Paris? Am I blind?