I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Buying a SIM in Spain and using it in Italy, France and the UK also
- 2 Tips for Papal Audience this July?
- 3 Favorite eateries in the Balkan States
- 4 Three days in Athens
- 5 HeathrowAirport to bakery
- 6 10 days in Barcelona anything different we could do?
- 7 Bernina or Glacier Express?
- 8 Cash-free Scandinavia?
- 9 Travelling From Seattle to Italy, Mid May
- 10 Forints or Euros?
- 11 Reserving ferry tickets Greece during high season
- 12 "Free" walking tours--what to tip guide
- 13 September Mediterranean Honeymoon
- 14 3 weeks in Sardinia
- 15 Another Visit to London
- 16 Questions about regionale trains
- 17 Finalizing Itinerary
- 18 Advice on what to visit in Slovenia
- 19 Overnight Layover -London
- 20 Day tour of Portofino and Cinque Terre
- 21 Vienna Favorites
- 22 15 nights in Italy
- 23 Italy Itinerary Feedback wanted!
- 24 Rental car in Italy
- 25 8 days in Andalusia-what do you think?