We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from email@example.com). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Renting a car after train to Florence
- 2 Mykonos plus another Island. Which one?
- 3 SoS!!! Rome Hotel Prices - Why soooo expensive????
- 4 German Wings
- 5 Sea side in Italy
- 6 Sagrada Familia - Barcelona; time "allocation"
- 7 14 days in Italy. need some help
- 8 Help! Anyone else victim of Hertz rental car return "damages" charge scam?
- 9 Europe Quis ( Friday March 27 )
- 10 Advice for Venice/Rome Trip
- 11 Small town /village within an hour of Dublin Airport
- 12 Arrive in Paris early am, no check-in/luggage drop until pm. Options?
- 13 Our first trip to Europe
- 14 Booking Engines You trust?
- 15 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 16 Does anyone know of a good resource for Castles
- 17 Gargnano vs Bellagio (Lake Garda vs Lake Como)
- 18 Using Obb website
- 19 Does ticket to Delacroix allow entry to Louvre?
- 20 Milan underground
- 21 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 22 Checking out your destination with live webcams- Rome for example!
- 23 To include Florence or Not....A Venice, (maybe Florence), and Rome trip
- 24 April long weekend - Munich v Innsbruck v Salzburg
- 25 Budapest Favorites