We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from firstname.lastname@example.org). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Random Rome Questions
- 2 Easier connection to London's city center -- Gatwick or Stansted?
- 3 Family Cruises
- 4 Berlin, Dresden and Prague or Berlin and Vienna?
- 5 Help with Belgium-Netherlands Itinerary
- 6 Berlin to Prague by car
- 7 Amsterdam B&B -- Tulipa -- Feedback Wanted
- 8 Capital One 360 Card -- Fees for Cash Withdrawal?
- 9 Oslo, Norway - worth the trip?
- 10 Paris, France NYE hotel, city center, or CDG?
- 11 EuropeanQuiz # 70 ( Friday)
- 12 Rental car and Portugal toll charges
- 13 Using the Garmin nuvi 2598 in Italy
- 14 Free 02 Wifi with iPhone in London
- 15 Refining Alsace itinerary
- 16 Where to stay in London
- 17 Trip report: visit to Hampton Court Palace (London)
- 18 Driving to Beaune
- 19 Travelling to France
- 20 Chip and pin credit card 2015 question
- 21 Makes Blackpool look Fab
- 22 Jeff Steiner interviews Adrian Leeds re Paris short-term rentals.
- 23 Cappadocia Cave hotel suggestion
- 24 Three Months in Southern Spain
- 25 where to stay in Lake Como in mid-May?