We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from email@example.com). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3-4 days in Italy before Monaco Conference suggestions
- 2 Best data sim
- 3 Tickets for premier league and England games
- 4 Italy tours
- 5 18 days - Turkey, Greece and Italy
- 6 Where to stay one night during our drive from Amboise to Avignon?
- 7 Customs & Immigration Necessary at Frankfurt Germany Airport???
- 8 Train Travel - Paris to Brussels & Bruges
- 9 1st time to europe- from 0ct 3-26 2014 train advance ticket advice
- 10 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 11 Crete Island - off the beaten track
- 12 London Soccer tickets-Boxing Day & Dec 28 how difficult to get??
- 13 Escargot
- 14 US looking into preclearance at European airports
- 15 Schengen Visa Question - Student Visa / Visitor Visa
- 16 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 17 Poland (Krakow)/ Prague from Leipzig
- 18 3 adults in a Triple room at Hotel Attalos- crazy?
- 19 Interested In Coach Passes
- 20 URGENT HELP- Traveling soon for Croatia, B & H, Slovenia, Montenegro
- 21 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 22 Need help - Train from Marseille airport to Paris
- 23 Alterations to night trains routes
- 24 first family trip to Switzerland
- 25 Itinerary update and request for help with side trip from Munich