We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from firstname.lastname@example.org). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 2 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 3 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 4 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 5 Hungary - Budapest Eger Szentendre photo gallery and tourist attractions
- 6 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 7 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 8 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 9 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 10 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 11 St Pancras to Holburn tube station
- 12 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 13 9 days in turkey
- 14 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 15 Benefits of Living in an HOA Community of the Cindy Shearin Group
- 16 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 17 Nice Video about Poland
- 18 My Italy Itinerary for July 2014
- 19 5 days in Europe: Budapest/Berlin or Copenhagen/Talinn or something else?
- 20 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 21 France/Italy Itinerary Check
- 22 Estonia Amber
- 23 Villages to stay in Germany close to trains
- 24 9 nights in Switzerland Help!Please.
- 25 Swiss pass or Individual tickets?