We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from email@example.com). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 2 Day Trips from Avignon via train/bus
- 3 3.5 days in Andalucia
- 4 Spend a year in the Dolomites
- 5 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 6 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 7 Ony 3-4 nights in Ortigia, priorities?????????
- 8 2 Weeks in Italy in early October
- 9 Bordeaux, Burgundy & Paris recommendations
- 10 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 11 Day trip from London to Paris
- 12 Amsterdam Itiniary
- 13 Transportation in Barcelona
- 14 Ste Remy France
- 15 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 16 Europe in 21 days
- 17 collioure to cadaques with Inntravel: advice for flight and travel before
- 18 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 19 Six months in France -- how to do it?
- 20 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 21 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 22 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 23 Landscape in Languedoc, in the Herault region ?
- 24 5am arrival in Dublin
- 25 What are the best places to see in England