We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from email@example.com). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona apartment input, please
- 2 Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)
- 3 weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8
- 4 I went to Paris in June
- 5 Tour Group Operators
- 6 How to make this adventure work?
- 7 Does this sound feasible?
- 8 Eating in University cafeterias
- 9 Premier Inn in Edinburgh, City Center, UK
- 10 Advice on 8 day England Itinerary - No London
- 11 18 DAYS IN VIENNA, 7 DAYS WITH A 4-YEAR-OLD
- 12 Train pass for travel in Italy, France, and Netherlands??
- 13 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 14 Driving from London to Scotland.
- 15 Late night train from Prague
- 16 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 17 Nice/Cote D'azur/Monaco surroundings - suggestions please...
- 18 What is considered acceptable travel attire
- 19 Playing Basketball in Amsterdam
- 20 Copenhagen, Bergen, Stockholm, Estonia and Helsinki Getting Around
- 21 Madrid and London
- 22 Renting a car from Rome to tuscany to venice
- 23 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 24 Spending money in Italy?
- 25 Theater in London