We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from email@example.com). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome Food Tour
- 2 trip to norway
- 3 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 4 Ireland or Scotland
- 5 How late is too late for a trip report?
- 6 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 7 Something unique about your best city anywhere in Europe
- 8 Rome restaurant suggestions
- 9 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 10 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 11 Italy and Croatia
- 12 Following the Tour de France via Campervan
- 13 Help with England/Wales tour
- 14 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 15 Travel between Madrid and Caceres
- 16 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 17 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 18 Crete, Santorini, Naxos, Mykonos, Athens
- 19 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 20 Scandinavian tour - first time!
- 21 Walkers Haute Route, TMB, etc. closed until June 2015
- 22 Where to go in France mid July?
- 23 A trip into the neonatal ward of Western civilization
- 24 Has anyone rented an apartment through Honeymoon in Paris?
- 25 Cruise the River Shannon