We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from firstname.lastname@example.org). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Camino No-No
- 2 Please suffer one more London travelcard question
- 3 Rioja
- 4 Madrid
- 5 Ireland train system: first class??
- 6 10 nights in Southern Spain: Itinerary & Questions
- 7 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 5 First Full Day in Vienna
- 8 How to order free Lebara SIM card from the U.S.?
- 9 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 2 Easter Sunday London
- 10 Satisfying sweet tooth in Scotland
- 11 Minimum age to rent a hotel or hostel room
- 12 apartment
- 13 Athens, Greece, hotel recommendations
- 14 travel insurance
- 15 Taxi from CDG to Paris for 4. Cost?
- 16 Best way to tour Sicily?
- 17 Student with no visa: Will I be denied re-entry into Germany???
- 18 Anciet Brits Were Cannibals
- 19 Train tickets and Theatre tickets: how far in advance to book?
- 20 Powerscourt OR Glendalough?
- 21 London and nearby suggestions
- 22 Brighton-bath Uk
- 23 Suggestions for a week in Europe
- 24 Southeast Sicily for 10 days
- 25 Help! Overwhelmed by Italy Trip Planning