We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from firstname.lastname@example.org). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 2 Venice in Jan
- 3 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 4 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 5 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 6 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 7 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 8 One more last question on Bayeux
- 9 Euro Train
- 10 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 11 How early to get to CDG
- 12 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 13 When to visit Provence updated info
- 14 Berlin
- 15 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 16 Three for the road
- 17 Need advice Best European city for New Year celebration
- 18 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 19 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 20 Where to stop on Italy's west coast
- 21 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 22 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 23 Trip Report - Fringe Movements
- 24 Barcelona: Sagrada Familia: which tower to go up?
- 25 Naples report - including staying in the centro storico