We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from email@example.com). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Back from Bologna, trip report
- 2 Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass worth it for multi-country trip?
- 3 Weekend Driving in Rome
- 4 GPS in France
- 5 Voltage in UK and France
- 6 Papal audience-Easter
- 7 Early May...Lisbon to Barcelona or Barcelona to Lisbon? Weather....
- 8 London, Edinburgh, and Paris Itinerary
- 9 Would this be a good area to stay in Paris?
- 10 A month in Positano - where to stay??
- 11 Chamonix - Information
- 12 What to see/do in eastern section of Ireland?
- 13 South of France
- 14 How far ahead do you buy plane tickets?
- 15 Planning 10 day trip from Athens around Greece
- 16 Madrid - and where else in Spain in March?
- 17 From Porto to the Douro Valley wine route
- 18 Rome - Vatican and Catacomb
- 19 Cannot see Anadolu Ateşi in Antalya. Options in Istanbul?
- 20 Help me plan an unforgettable London/Paris trip...for my 5 year old
- 21 How's this Budget (4-5 weeks in Spain and Italy)
- 22 First Solo Trip Spain/ Portugal
- 23 Nature of France
- 24 Hotel Artorius in Rome
- 25 Day Trips by Train from Bologna: Florence, Faenza, Ravenna