We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from firstname.lastname@example.org). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Want to spend 1 day in London (Approx 12 pm - 12am)
- 2 Best Airline to use from Perth to Amsterdam
- 3 Transfer From US job to UK job...Tips, tricks, etiquette
- 4 Bavarian Honeymoon Suggestions
- 5 Things to do in Budapest at the evening
- 6 Portugal in September
- 7 New Year in Lisbon, Portugal
- 8 River Palace or Victoria Hotel
- 9 anyone use 'NO JET LAG' ?
- 10 A full week in The Netherlands
- 11 Two weeks or so in Belgium and Netherlands
- 12 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 13 Reggio Emilia for 1 week
- 14 Robbed in Rome... by a "Police Officer"?
- 15 Hotel in Naples for two nights
- 16 Location and Lodging in Amsterdam
- 17 Chambermaid tipping
- 18 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 19 Car Rental Return @ CDG..and Transportation Options After
- 20 2 week Europe trip - need help please
- 21 14 days to travel Europe...topdeck vs busabout
- 22 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 23 Best Maps for Central Italy
- 24 Trip thru Germany in February.
- 25 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.