I am getting married this coming January, however we wont be taking our honeymoon until later in the year. I have so much to ask!! I have been doing as-thorough-as-possible research about where to go, when to go etc.
About the when: We must go after July 1st, so I was considering going during the begining of July or the end of August/begining of September. We dont want it to be excruicatingly hot, but not cool or rainy either. I would also like the country to be more or less colourful and in bloom. When is the better time to go?
About the where: We will be going for a 10 days, we may be able to extend it to 14 days but we wont know until much later in the year, so I want to just plan for 10 days for now.
This is what I have come up with so far, anything from opinions to hotel recommendation are welcome!! We are extremely excited and would love to hear from experienced travellers and folks that have already visited.
-Fly in to Lisbon
-Stay in Lisbon, take day trips to Sintra, Cascais, and Evora
-Take an early train from Lisbon to Coimbra, stay for the day and leave to Porto at night
-Stay in Porto, take a two day river cruise on the River Douro
-Leave from Porto back to NY
I am torn between stay longer in Porto or Lisbon, to give a better idea of our tastes we visited Spain two summers ago, specifically Barcelona, Madrid, Granada and Malaga and we enjoyed Barcelona and Granada much more than Madrid and Malaga - that may be telling, if not I can elaborate more later.
Lastly, I was strongly considering visiting Madeira (Funchal) for a few nights, of course I realize that if we only get the 10 days to travel then there is no way to fit it into the itinerary. But if we do go for 14 days, is Madeira really worth the trip?
Does my overall itinerary seem too overwhelming for a 10 day honeymoon?
Thanks a ton to everyone who helps!!!
Portugal Honeymoon 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Different approach to 2-4-1 offers
- 2 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 3 Ideas for Spain in May
- 4 Southern Spain
- 5 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 6 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 7 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 8 5 nights in Burgundy, with the kids
- 9 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 10 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 11 Portugal Trip
- 12 Looking for help on itinerary for trip to Croatia+
- 13 5 Observations About Paris
- 14 Amsterdam, Germany, Paris in May 2015- coats needed?
- 15 16 Nights in Canary Islands & Spain
- 16 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 17 Renewing our vows in Venice
- 18 Sweet Home Triana: Spring Break in Seville's left bank
- 19 Itinerary for Greece in 9 Days -in June
- 20 Short notice for input needed for Munich, Vienna, Prague and Berlin
- 21 driving in france with kids
- 22 Is my plan ok
- 23 Paris/Prague/Budapest/Zagreb/Nice/Paris
- 24 Our first Europe Trip Planning
- 25 CROATIA - Split to Hvar Island ???