I am getting married this coming January, however we wont be taking our honeymoon until later in the year. I have so much to ask!! I have been doing as-thorough-as-possible research about where to go, when to go etc.
About the when: We must go after July 1st, so I was considering going during the begining of July or the end of August/begining of September. We dont want it to be excruicatingly hot, but not cool or rainy either. I would also like the country to be more or less colourful and in bloom. When is the better time to go?
About the where: We will be going for a 10 days, we may be able to extend it to 14 days but we wont know until much later in the year, so I want to just plan for 10 days for now.
This is what I have come up with so far, anything from opinions to hotel recommendation are welcome!! We are extremely excited and would love to hear from experienced travellers and folks that have already visited.
-Fly in to Lisbon
-Stay in Lisbon, take day trips to Sintra, Cascais, and Evora
-Take an early train from Lisbon to Coimbra, stay for the day and leave to Porto at night
-Stay in Porto, take a two day river cruise on the River Douro
-Leave from Porto back to NY
I am torn between stay longer in Porto or Lisbon, to give a better idea of our tastes we visited Spain two summers ago, specifically Barcelona, Madrid, Granada and Malaga and we enjoyed Barcelona and Granada much more than Madrid and Malaga - that may be telling, if not I can elaborate more later.
Lastly, I was strongly considering visiting Madeira (Funchal) for a few nights, of course I realize that if we only get the 10 days to travel then there is no way to fit it into the itinerary. But if we do go for 14 days, is Madeira really worth the trip?
Does my overall itinerary seem too overwhelming for a 10 day honeymoon?
Thanks a ton to everyone who helps!!!
Portugal Honeymoon 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England, Paris itinerary help
- 2 London, Edinburgh, and Paris Itinerary
- 3 Shipping bags home
- 4 Germany for 3 weeks
- 5 Malpensa to Milano/Porto Garibaldi o Centrale Question...
- 6 electrical adaptor plugs
- 7 Are there any deals to London or big cities in Europe?
- 8 Venice Airport: How Long to Get Through Passport Clearance
- 9 Family of 4 traveling 10 months
- 10 Isle of Skye Lodging
- 11 T-Mobile International Roaming in Europe: a Trip Report
- 12 Looking for some advice for an April Itenerary!
- 13 Help me plan an unforgettable London/Paris trip...for my 5 year old
- 14 Portofino or Portovenere?
- 15 Taking a 5 day trip to Europe
- 16 Do I really want to stay in a hill top city?
- 17 Weekend Driving in Rome
- 18 Vienna and side trips
- 19 Milan, Venice, Bellagio, Piedmont wine country, a day in the Cinque Terre
- 20 Transfer at Paris (CDG) from terminal 2E and 2D by foot is possible?
- 21 What to do in Manchester for half a day?
- 22 Euro Travel Quiz #40 - Potpourri
- 23 Emilia Romagna Region
- 24 Revised Itinerary with 2 kids
- 25 Scottland for a day!