I am getting married this coming January, however we wont be taking our honeymoon until later in the year. I have so much to ask!! I have been doing as-thorough-as-possible research about where to go, when to go etc.
About the when: We must go after July 1st, so I was considering going during the begining of July or the end of August/begining of September. We dont want it to be excruicatingly hot, but not cool or rainy either. I would also like the country to be more or less colourful and in bloom. When is the better time to go?
About the where: We will be going for a 10 days, we may be able to extend it to 14 days but we wont know until much later in the year, so I want to just plan for 10 days for now.
This is what I have come up with so far, anything from opinions to hotel recommendation are welcome!! We are extremely excited and would love to hear from experienced travellers and folks that have already visited.
-Fly in to Lisbon
-Stay in Lisbon, take day trips to Sintra, Cascais, and Evora
-Take an early train from Lisbon to Coimbra, stay for the day and leave to Porto at night
-Stay in Porto, take a two day river cruise on the River Douro
-Leave from Porto back to NY
I am torn between stay longer in Porto or Lisbon, to give a better idea of our tastes we visited Spain two summers ago, specifically Barcelona, Madrid, Granada and Malaga and we enjoyed Barcelona and Granada much more than Madrid and Malaga - that may be telling, if not I can elaborate more later.
Lastly, I was strongly considering visiting Madeira (Funchal) for a few nights, of course I realize that if we only get the 10 days to travel then there is no way to fit it into the itinerary. But if we do go for 14 days, is Madeira really worth the trip?
Does my overall itinerary seem too overwhelming for a 10 day honeymoon?
Thanks a ton to everyone who helps!!!
Portugal Honeymoon 2013
- 1 recommended airport transfer in rome italy
- 2 Italian language schools
- 3 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 4 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 5 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 6 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 7 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 8 Need advice - Context Tours for Gallery Borghese & Vatican
- 9 Geneva/Graechen/Milan Driving in February
- 10 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 11 Place to propose
- 12 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 13 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 14 Le Marche and Rome - Part 2 - Urbino
- 15 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 16 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 17 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 18 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 19 Venice in Jan
- 20 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 21 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 22 Prague Main Train Station
- 23 The Adriatic? Or Turkey and the Greek Islands?
- 24 Car rental - Orvieto or Rome
- 25 Best private transfer from Civitacchia port to rome airport