I am getting married this coming January, however we wont be taking our honeymoon until later in the year. I have so much to ask!! I have been doing as-thorough-as-possible research about where to go, when to go etc.
About the when: We must go after July 1st, so I was considering going during the begining of July or the end of August/begining of September. We dont want it to be excruicatingly hot, but not cool or rainy either. I would also like the country to be more or less colourful and in bloom. When is the better time to go?
About the where: We will be going for a 10 days, we may be able to extend it to 14 days but we wont know until much later in the year, so I want to just plan for 10 days for now.
This is what I have come up with so far, anything from opinions to hotel recommendation are welcome!! We are extremely excited and would love to hear from experienced travellers and folks that have already visited.
-Fly in to Lisbon
-Stay in Lisbon, take day trips to Sintra, Cascais, and Evora
-Take an early train from Lisbon to Coimbra, stay for the day and leave to Porto at night
-Stay in Porto, take a two day river cruise on the River Douro
-Leave from Porto back to NY
I am torn between stay longer in Porto or Lisbon, to give a better idea of our tastes we visited Spain two summers ago, specifically Barcelona, Madrid, Granada and Malaga and we enjoyed Barcelona and Granada much more than Madrid and Malaga - that may be telling, if not I can elaborate more later.
Lastly, I was strongly considering visiting Madeira (Funchal) for a few nights, of course I realize that if we only get the 10 days to travel then there is no way to fit it into the itinerary. But if we do go for 14 days, is Madeira really worth the trip?
Does my overall itinerary seem too overwhelming for a 10 day honeymoon?
Thanks a ton to everyone who helps!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Two UK GTGs - Edinburgh 25 Aug., London 1 Sept.
- 2 €2500 for full day boating outing on Amalfi coast?
- 3 9 Days Family Trip to London-Paris- Switzerland
- 4 Amsterdam and beyond
- 5 Madrid Airport
- 6 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 7 Italy in November
- 8 Renfe Schedule Release Policy?
- 9 Vaux le Vicomte and Fontainebleau
- 10 Best home base for a week in the Italian Lakes?
- 11 Lisboa upscale hotel choice (??)
- 12 My summer in Paris
- 13 la spezia vs. levanto
- 14 La Colombe d'Or in St. Paul de Vence
- 15 Cycling in Denmark, land of burgers and bread
- 16 A nice, quiet and affordable place to stay?
- 17 3 wks touring Sicily, what not to miss?
- 18 Andalucia Itinerary
- 19 Southern Puglia Italy
- 20 How to get from Athens airport to Kalamata
- 21 Scottish pounds - coins too?
- 22 6 nights in Dublin
- 23 Chip and pin credit card 2015 question
- 24 experiences in Paris and Amalfi Coast
- 25 A great read for anyone visiting the UK.