I am getting married this coming January, however we wont be taking our honeymoon until later in the year. I have so much to ask!! I have been doing as-thorough-as-possible research about where to go, when to go etc.
About the when: We must go after July 1st, so I was considering going during the begining of July or the end of August/begining of September. We dont want it to be excruicatingly hot, but not cool or rainy either. I would also like the country to be more or less colourful and in bloom. When is the better time to go?
About the where: We will be going for a 10 days, we may be able to extend it to 14 days but we wont know until much later in the year, so I want to just plan for 10 days for now.
This is what I have come up with so far, anything from opinions to hotel recommendation are welcome!! We are extremely excited and would love to hear from experienced travellers and folks that have already visited.
-Fly in to Lisbon
-Stay in Lisbon, take day trips to Sintra, Cascais, and Evora
-Take an early train from Lisbon to Coimbra, stay for the day and leave to Porto at night
-Stay in Porto, take a two day river cruise on the River Douro
-Leave from Porto back to NY
I am torn between stay longer in Porto or Lisbon, to give a better idea of our tastes we visited Spain two summers ago, specifically Barcelona, Madrid, Granada and Malaga and we enjoyed Barcelona and Granada much more than Madrid and Malaga - that may be telling, if not I can elaborate more later.
Lastly, I was strongly considering visiting Madeira (Funchal) for a few nights, of course I realize that if we only get the 10 days to travel then there is no way to fit it into the itinerary. But if we do go for 14 days, is Madeira really worth the trip?
Does my overall itinerary seem too overwhelming for a 10 day honeymoon?
Thanks a ton to everyone who helps!!!
Portugal Honeymoon 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London tube
- 2 London hotel
- 3 7 days in Greece
- 4 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 5 A Win At the Arc and Discovering Lisbon
- 6 How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station
- 7 Yearly Greece visitor looking for different island
- 8 Nairn to Edinburgh to home - route and where to stay
- 9 Hotel in Venice
- 10 Need to visit a hospital in Athens
- 11 Tours For Young Professionals Other Than Contiki
- 12 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 13 Last day in Italy with kids, Bologna or Venice?
- 14 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 15 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 16 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 17 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 18 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 19 Berlin/Prague Itinerary Too Much, Too Little?
- 20 Summarizing my Renfe train ticket before purchase for Madrid to Cordoba
- 21 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 22 Bordeaux, Burgundy & Paris recommendations
- 23 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 24 Day trip from London to Paris
- 25 iDTGV Sales Open Today for Travel through September 11, 2014