I am getting married this coming January, however we wont be taking our honeymoon until later in the year. I have so much to ask!! I have been doing as-thorough-as-possible research about where to go, when to go etc.
About the when: We must go after July 1st, so I was considering going during the begining of July or the end of August/begining of September. We dont want it to be excruicatingly hot, but not cool or rainy either. I would also like the country to be more or less colourful and in bloom. When is the better time to go?
About the where: We will be going for a 10 days, we may be able to extend it to 14 days but we wont know until much later in the year, so I want to just plan for 10 days for now.
This is what I have come up with so far, anything from opinions to hotel recommendation are welcome!! We are extremely excited and would love to hear from experienced travellers and folks that have already visited.
-Fly in to Lisbon
-Stay in Lisbon, take day trips to Sintra, Cascais, and Evora
-Take an early train from Lisbon to Coimbra, stay for the day and leave to Porto at night
-Stay in Porto, take a two day river cruise on the River Douro
-Leave from Porto back to NY
I am torn between stay longer in Porto or Lisbon, to give a better idea of our tastes we visited Spain two summers ago, specifically Barcelona, Madrid, Granada and Malaga and we enjoyed Barcelona and Granada much more than Madrid and Malaga - that may be telling, if not I can elaborate more later.
Lastly, I was strongly considering visiting Madeira (Funchal) for a few nights, of course I realize that if we only get the 10 days to travel then there is no way to fit it into the itinerary. But if we do go for 14 days, is Madeira really worth the trip?
Does my overall itinerary seem too overwhelming for a 10 day honeymoon?
Thanks a ton to everyone who helps!!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 2 Milan to Zurich - stops & stayovers
- 3 Burkinis banned at French beaches
- 4 Underground between kings Cross and Waterloo Main Line Station
- 5 Where will Britain go?
- 6 Travel to Karlsrhue
- 7 Barcelona completely overrated
- 8 Budapest on a budget
- 9 Vizeat -- Anybody tried it?
- 10 Where to stay in London
- 11 Small foodie tours in Bologna
- 12 suggestions needed: Seville--> Cadiz/Conil/...
- 13 Private Guide for Anhambra in Granada
- 14 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 15 Europe Destination with kids?
- 16 Puffins! No luck. So, where and when did you see them?
- 17 Puglia; hate to leave it but how to get back to Toronto
- 18 Medieval festival of Pierrefonds
- 19 3 weeks in France, solo and without a car: please advise!
- 20 Bead Tours in Jablonec?
- 21 Need help - Interlaken OR Zermatt / St.Martiz to spend time
- 22 Day trips on Irish Rail from Dublin?
- 23 4 days to explore, Vienna, Munich, or Berlin?
- 24 Italy Itinerary - Puglia, Rome and ?
- 25 Switzerland Trip with Toddler in October