I am getting married this coming January, however we wont be taking our honeymoon until later in the year. I have so much to ask!! I have been doing as-thorough-as-possible research about where to go, when to go etc.
About the when: We must go after July 1st, so I was considering going during the begining of July or the end of August/begining of September. We dont want it to be excruicatingly hot, but not cool or rainy either. I would also like the country to be more or less colourful and in bloom. When is the better time to go?
About the where: We will be going for a 10 days, we may be able to extend it to 14 days but we wont know until much later in the year, so I want to just plan for 10 days for now.
This is what I have come up with so far, anything from opinions to hotel recommendation are welcome!! We are extremely excited and would love to hear from experienced travellers and folks that have already visited.
-Fly in to Lisbon
-Stay in Lisbon, take day trips to Sintra, Cascais, and Evora
-Take an early train from Lisbon to Coimbra, stay for the day and leave to Porto at night
-Stay in Porto, take a two day river cruise on the River Douro
-Leave from Porto back to NY
I am torn between stay longer in Porto or Lisbon, to give a better idea of our tastes we visited Spain two summers ago, specifically Barcelona, Madrid, Granada and Malaga and we enjoyed Barcelona and Granada much more than Madrid and Malaga - that may be telling, if not I can elaborate more later.
Lastly, I was strongly considering visiting Madeira (Funchal) for a few nights, of course I realize that if we only get the 10 days to travel then there is no way to fit it into the itinerary. But if we do go for 14 days, is Madeira really worth the trip?
Does my overall itinerary seem too overwhelming for a 10 day honeymoon?
Thanks a ton to everyone who helps!!!
Portugal Honeymoon 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advice for 6 nights 7 Days in Switzerland
- 2 Barcelona at night? Single female...
- 3 Peggy does Deutschland...
- 4 Day trip from Barcelona? Single female
- 5 Northern Italy for Nature Lovers/Crowd Haters
- 6 20 year-old female planning solo Europe trip -- advice??
- 7 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 8 2 full days in Paris
- 9 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 10 July in The Mezzogiorno – 3 weeks in Southern Italy: Amalfi Coast & Puglia
- 11 Terrorism in Europe
- 12 Cinque Terre v Tuscany
- 13 Planning a trip to Northern Italy/Lake Como
- 14 Greece - Sailing in Santorini
- 15 Hiking the Gap of Dunloe
- 16 Wernigerode and The Harz - Where to base oneself?
- 17 Need suggestions for Sienna and Orvieto
- 18 Bamberg and Environs - 9 nights
- 19 Poland (Krakow)/ Prague from Leipzig
- 20 Hotel in Lake Garda or Desenzano del Gard
- 21 Which town to choose for lodging in Cinque Terre
- 22 Cinque Terre - which town to stay in & suggest a hotel?
- 23 Spain and Portugal Trip Help
- 24 Flight into London out Frankfurt (stop Paris, Amsterdam Prague)?
- 25 Night Train - Need help