I'll be going to Portugal in early September with 3 friends and we are in the early stages of planning what to do. None of us have been there before and have had it on our bucket lists for a long time. We are interested in the architecture, culture, pottery, wine and food. We will be arriving there after 7 nights in Marrakesh. We will be arriving by plane (seems to be the easiest way to get there without spending all day traveling). We are open to having a car or using public transport. We will depart for home from Lisbon and we all want to visit that city. We are thinking of basing ourselves there, renting an apartment and take day trips to places like Sintra, Fatima, Cascais, and others that spark our fancy but also explore Lisbon. We do want to do wine/port tastings. We also thought of splitting the time between Porto and Lisbon. The only issue is that the flights from Marrakesh seem to fly into Lisbon, then change planes to go anywhere else. Which is what makes us lean to staying put in Lisbon just for the convenience. We are not interested in moving to a different hotel every day, we like to have a home base and go from there, but 3 nights in one place and 4 in another is doable. So, you Portugal experts - what suggestions or insight can you share with me?
Portugal - early planning stage-stay in Lisbon 7 nights or split time
View all Europe activity »
- 1 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 2 Wake up...all fodor posters who are so helpful...
- 3 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!
- 4 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 5 Where to stay in Copenhagen
- 6 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 7 Europe with young teens
- 8 First time traveler to Ireland
- 9 Belgium/Holland OR Paris/Strasbourg/Lucern
- 10 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 11 Advises for trip to Russia
- 12 Salamanca, Barcelona, o Valencia?
- 13 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 14 Euro Train
- 15 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 16 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 17 Prague - must see
- 18 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 19 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 20 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 21 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 22 Getting to Gatwick and home again
- 23 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 24 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 25 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip