My Fiance and I are in the process of planning our Portugal honeymoon. We leave June 5 of this year from Toronto, Canada and our budget is $8000 CDN (incl. flights, transportation, food, etc). We are most interested in: relaxation on the beach (just to start), culture/exploring, good food/wine, views/nature.
Tentative rough itinerary:
1. Start with relaxing beach lounging for 3 or 4 nights to rest and recoup after our wedding. We would like this hotel to be luxurious with a pool and beachfront. Possibly Obidos area.
2. Then we'd like to explore Lisbon and surrounding areas like Sintra (day trips) for 4 or 5 nights
3. Finish off in the Duoro region for the remainder.
Some hotels we are looking into:
The Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort - we don't love that it is a chain, but do like that it has a beach and pools and looks luxurious: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lisdr-praia-del-rey-marriott-golf-and-beach-resort/?pid=corptbta&scid=b661a3c4-9c47-48c8-9e13-75b66089dd79
The Hotel Tivoli Lisboa in Lisbon - http://www.tivolihotels.com/en/our-hotels/lisbon/tivoli-lisboa/the-hotel.aspx
The Casa de Canilhas in the Duoro region: http://www.canilhas.com/
Not sure yet if these are within budget, but we'd like these or similar.
Are there changes you would recommend to this itinerary? Are there any recommendations on areas or hotels? We are really open to various suggestions. Our itinerary is not close to set in stone. When we started planning we had the Azores, Lisbon and Algarve on the itinerary then we switched out Azores for Madiera, but now we're leaning towards sticking to the mainland to try to simplify the trip and just explore Lisbon and the coast going north. We've read so many wonderful things about these areas. Our only concern is will this be hot enough to swim and lounge on the beach?
Will we regret not seeing the Algarve region or Madiera?
Any help and advice you can offer is much appreciated!
Portugal - 2 week honeymoon June 5-June19
- 1 two weeks in Croatia Bosnia and Montenegro
- 2 Benita In Paris
- 3 Sagrada Familia in Barcelona: who knows what time masses are?
- 4 Sweden, Denmark, Norway Trip Report
- 5 Rome apartment
- 6 pier in Copenhagen
- 7 Derby - What to do with 1.5 days?
- 8 The "I'm moving/I'm coming home" Italy Trip Report...
- 9 Scotland & Ireland - do I HAVE to pick 1 for 7-day trip?
- 10 Am I too fat too travel?
- 11 Christmas Markets - Frankfurt or Copenhagen
- 12 Running Very Behind on Month Long Europe Trip
- 13 Train Passes
- 14 Paris Transportation- Hotel near Saint Suplice Station to CDG Airport
- 15 Trip Report: SE England - Stately Homes & Gardens in Kent
- 16 I have a new eBook out on Mystical Ireland Travel
- 17 Chatham Dockyards Need a Whole Day?
- 18 Security issues with Knee replacement
- 19 Yorkshire Dales and Moors home base? (and other questions)
- 20 Our 4 weeks in Turkey - Trip Report
- 21 How do I get from Copenhagen to Malmo by Train?
- 22 Climbing Snowdon
- 23 Zee Best
- 24 river cruise choice
- 25 Paros or Naxos?