My Fiance and I are in the process of planning our Portugal honeymoon. We leave June 5 of this year from Toronto, Canada and our budget is $8000 CDN (incl. flights, transportation, food, etc). We are most interested in: relaxation on the beach (just to start), culture/exploring, good food/wine, views/nature.
Tentative rough itinerary:
1. Start with relaxing beach lounging for 3 or 4 nights to rest and recoup after our wedding. We would like this hotel to be luxurious with a pool and beachfront. Possibly Obidos area.
2. Then we'd like to explore Lisbon and surrounding areas like Sintra (day trips) for 4 or 5 nights
3. Finish off in the Duoro region for the remainder.
Some hotels we are looking into:
The Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort - we don't love that it is a chain, but do like that it has a beach and pools and looks luxurious: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lisdr-praia-del-rey-marriott-golf-and-beach-resort/?pid=corptbta&scid=b661a3c4-9c47-48c8-9e13-75b66089dd79
The Hotel Tivoli Lisboa in Lisbon - http://www.tivolihotels.com/en/our-hotels/lisbon/tivoli-lisboa/the-hotel.aspx
The Casa de Canilhas in the Duoro region: http://www.canilhas.com/
Not sure yet if these are within budget, but we'd like these or similar.
Are there changes you would recommend to this itinerary? Are there any recommendations on areas or hotels? We are really open to various suggestions. Our itinerary is not close to set in stone. When we started planning we had the Azores, Lisbon and Algarve on the itinerary then we switched out Azores for Madiera, but now we're leaning towards sticking to the mainland to try to simplify the trip and just explore Lisbon and the coast going north. We've read so many wonderful things about these areas. Our only concern is will this be hot enough to swim and lounge on the beach?
Will we regret not seeing the Algarve region or Madiera?
Any help and advice you can offer is much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 U K Shelves Ambitious Rail Improvements
- 2 For art lovers in London next week
- 3 One day in Paris!
- 4 Luggage in rental car while touring Normandie and Loire Valley
- 5 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 6 Drumroll....I finally decided on a Roman Hotel!
- 7 Lake Maggiore?
- 8 Bed & Breakfast in Paris for one night
- 9 Is it worth it to add Istanbul to a trip to Greece?
- 10 Bodensee: Ride from Bregenz to Arbon, Switzerland
- 11 French Basque country
- 12 Oh no, yet another Alhambra ticket-timing question
- 13 Seeking help on my 12 days trip from Switzerland to Austria
- 14 Tales of the Texas Two; or, Ladies in London
- 15 Provence 5 days 4 night (3.5 full days) itinerary
- 16 Traveling around Castile-Leon
- 17 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 18 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 19 Night at MSM or Honfleur?
- 20 PAY ATTENTION AT TERMINI TRAIN STATION
- 21 Best way to deal with large, cash-only lodging bill - Amsterdam
- 22 Night life for 20 somethings: Madrid vs. Barcelona
- 23 Six Days to get From Athens to Rome
- 24 Rome Walking Guide
- 25 Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya