My Fiance and I are in the process of planning our Portugal honeymoon. We leave June 5 of this year from Toronto, Canada and our budget is $8000 CDN (incl. flights, transportation, food, etc). We are most interested in: relaxation on the beach (just to start), culture/exploring, good food/wine, views/nature.
Tentative rough itinerary:
1. Start with relaxing beach lounging for 3 or 4 nights to rest and recoup after our wedding. We would like this hotel to be luxurious with a pool and beachfront. Possibly Obidos area.
2. Then we'd like to explore Lisbon and surrounding areas like Sintra (day trips) for 4 or 5 nights
3. Finish off in the Duoro region for the remainder.
Some hotels we are looking into:
The Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort - we don't love that it is a chain, but do like that it has a beach and pools and looks luxurious: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lisdr-praia-del-rey-marriott-golf-and-beach-resort/?pid=corptbta&scid=b661a3c4-9c47-48c8-9e13-75b66089dd79
The Hotel Tivoli Lisboa in Lisbon - http://www.tivolihotels.com/en/our-hotels/lisbon/tivoli-lisboa/the-hotel.aspx
The Casa de Canilhas in the Duoro region: http://www.canilhas.com/
Not sure yet if these are within budget, but we'd like these or similar.
Are there changes you would recommend to this itinerary? Are there any recommendations on areas or hotels? We are really open to various suggestions. Our itinerary is not close to set in stone. When we started planning we had the Azores, Lisbon and Algarve on the itinerary then we switched out Azores for Madiera, but now we're leaning towards sticking to the mainland to try to simplify the trip and just explore Lisbon and the coast going north. We've read so many wonderful things about these areas. Our only concern is will this be hot enough to swim and lounge on the beach?
Will we regret not seeing the Algarve region or Madiera?
Any help and advice you can offer is much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Crazy Question regarding Flat Iron usage in Europe
- 2 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 3 help in planning itinerary to UK
- 4 Venice at Christmas
- 5 Bayeux and environs
- 6 Greenland: Photos of Midnight Sun Iceberg Kayaking
- 7 Best way to see Croatia?
- 8 Rome For 2 days
- 9 Is Europcar ok if I have no other choice?
- 10 Italy: your favorite national park?
- 11 Camino Redux
- 12 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 13 Rome Hotel: Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona?
- 14 3 weeks in Norway and Sweden. Comments, advice please!
- 15 The highlands
- 16 Staying on Ile de la Cite
- 17 Non-alcoholic drinks to try in Andalusia
- 18 Sightseeing Around Belgrade, Serbia
- 19 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 20 Immigration entering UK to visit BF! Need advice!
- 21 Vienna to Bratislava
- 22 Amalie/Rome
- 23 *Help!* Puglia vs Sicily vs Amalfi Coast?
- 24 Help with Germany and Eastern Europe
- 25 Berlin to Barcelona