My Fiance and I are in the process of planning our Portugal honeymoon. We leave June 5 of this year from Toronto, Canada and our budget is $8000 CDN (incl. flights, transportation, food, etc). We are most interested in: relaxation on the beach (just to start), culture/exploring, good food/wine, views/nature.
Tentative rough itinerary:
1. Start with relaxing beach lounging for 3 or 4 nights to rest and recoup after our wedding. We would like this hotel to be luxurious with a pool and beachfront. Possibly Obidos area.
2. Then we'd like to explore Lisbon and surrounding areas like Sintra (day trips) for 4 or 5 nights
3. Finish off in the Duoro region for the remainder.
Some hotels we are looking into:
The Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort - we don't love that it is a chain, but do like that it has a beach and pools and looks luxurious: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lisdr-praia-del-rey-marriott-golf-and-beach-resort/?pid=corptbta&scid=b661a3c4-9c47-48c8-9e13-75b66089dd79
The Hotel Tivoli Lisboa in Lisbon - http://www.tivolihotels.com/en/our-hotels/lisbon/tivoli-lisboa/the-hotel.aspx
The Casa de Canilhas in the Duoro region: http://www.canilhas.com/
Not sure yet if these are within budget, but we'd like these or similar.
Are there changes you would recommend to this itinerary? Are there any recommendations on areas or hotels? We are really open to various suggestions. Our itinerary is not close to set in stone. When we started planning we had the Azores, Lisbon and Algarve on the itinerary then we switched out Azores for Madiera, but now we're leaning towards sticking to the mainland to try to simplify the trip and just explore Lisbon and the coast going north. We've read so many wonderful things about these areas. Our only concern is will this be hot enough to swim and lounge on the beach?
Will we regret not seeing the Algarve region or Madiera?
Any help and advice you can offer is much appreciated!
Portugal - 2 week honeymoon June 5-June19
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 2 Public holiday Prague 17 Nov
- 3 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 4 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 5 Trip report:Vienna,Graz,Lake district,Salzburg,Wachau,Prague,Munich.
- 6 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 7 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 8 Suggestions needed for our first visit to Athens without speaking Greek
- 9 Vacation Rental in Venice
- 10 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 11 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 12 Fiumicino City Bus Stop Location
- 13 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 14 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 15 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 16 Five nights in Extremadura
- 17 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 18 Live ( almost) report from Greece!
- 19 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 20 travel from Malaga to Rhonda Spain
- 21 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 22 Belarus closes borders with Ukraine - EBOLA alert!
- 23 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 24 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 25 Roaming Romania, Take Two