My Fiance and I are in the process of planning our Portugal honeymoon. We leave June 5 of this year from Toronto, Canada and our budget is $8000 CDN (incl. flights, transportation, food, etc). We are most interested in: relaxation on the beach (just to start), culture/exploring, good food/wine, views/nature.
Tentative rough itinerary:
1. Start with relaxing beach lounging for 3 or 4 nights to rest and recoup after our wedding. We would like this hotel to be luxurious with a pool and beachfront. Possibly Obidos area.
2. Then we'd like to explore Lisbon and surrounding areas like Sintra (day trips) for 4 or 5 nights
3. Finish off in the Duoro region for the remainder.
Some hotels we are looking into:
The Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort - we don't love that it is a chain, but do like that it has a beach and pools and looks luxurious: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lisdr-praia-del-rey-marriott-golf-and-beach-resort/?pid=corptbta&scid=b661a3c4-9c47-48c8-9e13-75b66089dd79
The Hotel Tivoli Lisboa in Lisbon - http://www.tivolihotels.com/en/our-hotels/lisbon/tivoli-lisboa/the-hotel.aspx
The Casa de Canilhas in the Duoro region: http://www.canilhas.com/
Not sure yet if these are within budget, but we'd like these or similar.
Are there changes you would recommend to this itinerary? Are there any recommendations on areas or hotels? We are really open to various suggestions. Our itinerary is not close to set in stone. When we started planning we had the Azores, Lisbon and Algarve on the itinerary then we switched out Azores for Madiera, but now we're leaning towards sticking to the mainland to try to simplify the trip and just explore Lisbon and the coast going north. We've read so many wonderful things about these areas. Our only concern is will this be hot enough to swim and lounge on the beach?
Will we regret not seeing the Algarve region or Madiera?
Any help and advice you can offer is much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Revised itinerary for italy
- 2 Biarritz family holiday
- 3 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 4 Lisbon hotel
- 5 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 6 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 7 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 8 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 9 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 10 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 11 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 12 Italy
- 13 4 Days in Tuscany
- 14 If you had to choose one......
- 15 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 16 Switzerland
- 17 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 18 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 19 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 20 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 21 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 22 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 23 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 24 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 25 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal