My Fiance and I are in the process of planning our Portugal honeymoon. We leave June 5 of this year from Toronto, Canada and our budget is $8000 CDN (incl. flights, transportation, food, etc). We are most interested in: relaxation on the beach (just to start), culture/exploring, good food/wine, views/nature.
Tentative rough itinerary:
1. Start with relaxing beach lounging for 3 or 4 nights to rest and recoup after our wedding. We would like this hotel to be luxurious with a pool and beachfront. Possibly Obidos area.
2. Then we'd like to explore Lisbon and surrounding areas like Sintra (day trips) for 4 or 5 nights
3. Finish off in the Duoro region for the remainder.
Some hotels we are looking into:
The Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort - we don't love that it is a chain, but do like that it has a beach and pools and looks luxurious: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lisdr-praia-del-rey-marriott-golf-and-beach-resort/?pid=corptbta&scid=b661a3c4-9c47-48c8-9e13-75b66089dd79
The Hotel Tivoli Lisboa in Lisbon - http://www.tivolihotels.com/en/our-hotels/lisbon/tivoli-lisboa/the-hotel.aspx
The Casa de Canilhas in the Duoro region: http://www.canilhas.com/
Not sure yet if these are within budget, but we'd like these or similar.
Are there changes you would recommend to this itinerary? Are there any recommendations on areas or hotels? We are really open to various suggestions. Our itinerary is not close to set in stone. When we started planning we had the Azores, Lisbon and Algarve on the itinerary then we switched out Azores for Madiera, but now we're leaning towards sticking to the mainland to try to simplify the trip and just explore Lisbon and the coast going north. We've read so many wonderful things about these areas. Our only concern is will this be hot enough to swim and lounge on the beach?
Will we regret not seeing the Algarve region or Madiera?
Any help and advice you can offer is much appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Layover at Lisbon and trip to Sintra
- 2 Car rental between countries
- 3 Barcelona completely overrated
- 4 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 5 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 6 Greece in 15 Days
- 7 Walking Scotland
- 8 Adaptors for Belgium
- 9 Thanksgiving Trip from Land
- 10 Schengen Entry Ban ,can travel Romania?
- 11 Train Ticket Help
- 12 I forgot my international driver permit
- 13 Car rental scams at Frankfurt airport
- 14 Letter Designations on Transport Lines and Barcelona Card
- 15 Prague old town
- 16 Bordeaux TRIP
- 17 20 free days of Europe
- 18 Day Trip to Santa Margarhertia Ligure, Portofino, and Camogli
- 19 Naples or Genoa
- 20 Munich restaurant recs
- 21 Auber metro station incident 27.08.16
- 22 Milan / Venice / Tuscany/ Barcelona
- 23 How to divide 4 weeks of lakes and mountains with kids in Italy?
- 24 Switzerland's Iconic Postal Buses...A Whole Different Switzerland!
- 25 To Varenna from Milan Malpensa: By car or by train?