My Fiance and I are in the process of planning our Portugal honeymoon. We leave June 5 of this year from Toronto, Canada and our budget is $8000 CDN (incl. flights, transportation, food, etc). We are most interested in: relaxation on the beach (just to start), culture/exploring, good food/wine, views/nature.
Tentative rough itinerary:
1. Start with relaxing beach lounging for 3 or 4 nights to rest and recoup after our wedding. We would like this hotel to be luxurious with a pool and beachfront. Possibly Obidos area.
2. Then we'd like to explore Lisbon and surrounding areas like Sintra (day trips) for 4 or 5 nights
3. Finish off in the Duoro region for the remainder.
Some hotels we are looking into:
The Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort - we don't love that it is a chain, but do like that it has a beach and pools and looks luxurious: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lisdr-praia-del-rey-marriott-golf-and-beach-resort/?pid=corptbta&scid=b661a3c4-9c47-48c8-9e13-75b66089dd79
The Hotel Tivoli Lisboa in Lisbon - http://www.tivolihotels.com/en/our-hotels/lisbon/tivoli-lisboa/the-hotel.aspx
The Casa de Canilhas in the Duoro region: http://www.canilhas.com/
Not sure yet if these are within budget, but we'd like these or similar.
Are there changes you would recommend to this itinerary? Are there any recommendations on areas or hotels? We are really open to various suggestions. Our itinerary is not close to set in stone. When we started planning we had the Azores, Lisbon and Algarve on the itinerary then we switched out Azores for Madiera, but now we're leaning towards sticking to the mainland to try to simplify the trip and just explore Lisbon and the coast going north. We've read so many wonderful things about these areas. Our only concern is will this be hot enough to swim and lounge on the beach?
Will we regret not seeing the Algarve region or Madiera?
Any help and advice you can offer is much appreciated!
Portugal - 2 week honeymoon June 5-June19
- 1 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 2 Rental Agency Recommendation
- 3 Itinerary Help: Amsterdam-Zurich/Basel-Geneva in 10 days?
- 4 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 5 London for Christmas
- 6 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 7 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 8 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 9 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 10 first european holiday itinery
- 11 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 12 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 13 Location and Lodging in Amsterdam
- 14 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 15 To Paris and Provence in June
- 16 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 17 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 18 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 19 Car in Prague
- 20 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 21 Euro Train
- 22 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 23 Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station
- 24 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 25 Travel by train or bus