A few months back, I posted asking about Internet resources to systematically improve my Dutch at essentially a beginner's level during my spare time. I feel I'm making some strides in my efforts thanks to the "Living Language" series and one site on youtube (I did consider Rosetta Stone as one of you suggested, but the price and immediate availability of the "Living Language" series made me go with that one instead.) I'm on Chapter 6 now and feel I'm making progress (boy is it tough though to start fresh a new language, as closely related to English as it is).
Anyway, to improve my listening comprehension, the dialogues have been great in my book, but also made me aware of the challenges of understanding the spoken language at a natural pace.
QUESTION: So, to help me out in this regard, I'd like to listen a bit to some well-liked Dutch shows from the last 20 or 30 years... could be period piece, comedy, drama, news show. To get my ear used to real people speaking at a real pace prior to a summer trip, but also to get more in the know of what non-angloworld programs some Dutch people appreciate. I wouldn't mind for example some Dutch equivalents of similar types of shows from Britain or the US: "Ab Fab", "Coronation Street", "Downton Abbey", "The Tudors", "Masterpiece Theater", "60 Minutes" , "Six Feet Under", doesn't have to be any of these though...
"Joris en Monique", "Koefnoen", "Weten Zij Veel" is what I've found so far, but I have no idea whether these are particularly "liked" shows or seen to be not so great (for the first, the scenes seemed a bit contrived, stilted to me, but maybe I'm wrong) While I couldn't piece together the meanings of many sentences, I found nevertheless that the sketches of these I heard actually helped me for hearing the rhythm and picking out words I did know.
Dank U heel! Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 2 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 3 First trip to Greece (last minute!)
- 4 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 5 barcelona neighborhood
- 6 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 7 What are your favorite restaurants in Prague? (+itinerary critique)
- 8 Best Greek Island
- 9 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 10 Which Day?
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 13 Shorts in South of France?
- 14 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 15 Advice for Honeymoon in Iceland (5 days)
- 16 Corsica and Sardinia
- 17 Les Invalides Night Show
- 18 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 19 Regarding Residence Permit
- 20 ANY SUGGESTION WHICH AREA OF MADRID TO STAY FOR ACCOMODATION
- 21 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 22 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?
- 23 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 24 Kroller-Muller Museum
- 25 limousine services - milan - rome