A few months back, I posted asking about Internet resources to systematically improve my Dutch at essentially a beginner's level during my spare time. I feel I'm making some strides in my efforts thanks to the "Living Language" series and one site on youtube (I did consider Rosetta Stone as one of you suggested, but the price and immediate availability of the "Living Language" series made me go with that one instead.) I'm on Chapter 6 now and feel I'm making progress (boy is it tough though to start fresh a new language, as closely related to English as it is).
Anyway, to improve my listening comprehension, the dialogues have been great in my book, but also made me aware of the challenges of understanding the spoken language at a natural pace.
QUESTION: So, to help me out in this regard, I'd like to listen a bit to some well-liked Dutch shows from the last 20 or 30 years... could be period piece, comedy, drama, news show. To get my ear used to real people speaking at a real pace prior to a summer trip, but also to get more in the know of what non-angloworld programs some Dutch people appreciate. I wouldn't mind for example some Dutch equivalents of similar types of shows from Britain or the US: "Ab Fab", "Coronation Street", "Downton Abbey", "The Tudors", "Masterpiece Theater", "60 Minutes" , "Six Feet Under", doesn't have to be any of these though...
"Joris en Monique", "Koefnoen", "Weten Zij Veel" is what I've found so far, but I have no idea whether these are particularly "liked" shows or seen to be not so great (for the first, the scenes seemed a bit contrived, stilted to me, but maybe I'm wrong) While I couldn't piece together the meanings of many sentences, I found nevertheless that the sketches of these I heard actually helped me for hearing the rhythm and picking out words I did know.
Dank U heel! Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 charming cities in Spain
- 2 Seeking advice from Tuscany experts
- 3 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 4 Navigating England's Coast to Coast walk
- 5 Day in Madrid
- 6 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 7 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 8 Itinerary Help for Portugal
- 9 Venice
- 10 Where to Begin If You're Ending in Amsterdam
- 11 Family vacation to europe
- 12 Good location for Paris apartment?
- 13 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 14 5 countries in 5 weeks - family trip
- 15 16 Day Europe Itenerary
- 16 Amsterdam Trip Report
- 17 Cotswolds, UK -10 days - end of May'17 move or central base
- 18 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 19 Hotel Danube. Paris.
- 20 Berlin, Nice and London
- 21 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 22 Inverness to Isle of Lewis
- 23 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 24 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 25 Helps!! 8days Switzerland ittinerary...