A few months back, I posted asking about Internet resources to systematically improve my Dutch at essentially a beginner's level during my spare time. I feel I'm making some strides in my efforts thanks to the "Living Language" series and one site on youtube (I did consider Rosetta Stone as one of you suggested, but the price and immediate availability of the "Living Language" series made me go with that one instead.) I'm on Chapter 6 now and feel I'm making progress (boy is it tough though to start fresh a new language, as closely related to English as it is).
Anyway, to improve my listening comprehension, the dialogues have been great in my book, but also made me aware of the challenges of understanding the spoken language at a natural pace.
QUESTION: So, to help me out in this regard, I'd like to listen a bit to some well-liked Dutch shows from the last 20 or 30 years... could be period piece, comedy, drama, news show. To get my ear used to real people speaking at a real pace prior to a summer trip, but also to get more in the know of what non-angloworld programs some Dutch people appreciate. I wouldn't mind for example some Dutch equivalents of similar types of shows from Britain or the US: "Ab Fab", "Coronation Street", "Downton Abbey", "The Tudors", "Masterpiece Theater", "60 Minutes" , "Six Feet Under", doesn't have to be any of these though...
"Joris en Monique", "Koefnoen", "Weten Zij Veel" is what I've found so far, but I have no idea whether these are particularly "liked" shows or seen to be not so great (for the first, the scenes seemed a bit contrived, stilted to me, but maybe I'm wrong) While I couldn't piece together the meanings of many sentences, I found nevertheless that the sketches of these I heard actually helped me for hearing the rhythm and picking out words I did know.
Dank U heel! Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 tickets for Wimbledon
- 2 Itinerary Help for Sicily
- 3 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 4 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 5 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 6 Does the heat of Europe ever grind you down?
- 7 Nice room in Venice in late September for £150?
- 8 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 9 Italy in January?
- 10 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 11 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 12 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 13 Berlin to ?
- 14 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 15 Renting a car in Greece
- 16 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 17 Piedmont question
- 18 Insurance on rental car options
- 19 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 20 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 21 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 22 Sunday and Monday in Provence area
- 23 Hotel Fita Amsterdam- questions re: air conditioning
- 24 9 days UK itinerary help!
- 25 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows