Researching the Italian leg of our next (2016 ) European adventure, we have heard a number of recommendations - from sources other than Fodors - for visiting Polignano a Mare near Bari in Italy's Puglia region.
These recommendations have also included a "don't miss" dining experience at the unique Ristorante Grotta Palazzese.
Although I have yet to see a less than positive view on visiting Polignano, the opposite is true for visiting the restaurant. I don't think I have ever before read so many polar opposite views for dining at a restaurant.
On the one hand, "Fantastic service; beautifully presented fresh food and, though expensive, great value for money". Versus, "Do not waste your money! The service is outright rude; the food is stale and ordinary and it is the worst-valued restaurant in Italy!"
Apparently they also impose a mandatory minimum order of 3 courses per diner!
We are planning to stay 4 nights in the Polignano a Mare town (Casa Dorsi B&B) and were hoping for some feedback from the well-travelled fodorites out there on:
• The town itself
• The Casa Dorsi B&B accommodation
• and finally whether the Grotta Palazzese restaurant is worth the trouble.
Thank you in advance and regards, Steve
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 2 seat reservations
- 3 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 4 Paris experts- hotel near train ?
- 5 Valencia Spain
- 6 Germany-Car or Train
- 7 Night Bus?
- 8 TER ticket bought online -- good all day?
- 9 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 10 Crannog Centre or Atholl Country Life Museum
- 11 Andalucia Spain
- 12 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 13 Gtg's in Paris this summer ?
- 14 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 15 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 16 Short time in Vienna
- 17 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 18 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 19 Jewish Vienna
- 20 Driving in Saint Emilion
- 21 My special places in Europe
- 22 Italy in a week
- 23 3 days outside Venice
- 24 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 25 Reaching the Lake District