Poland! Overdue trip report October 2013
My husband, daughter and I had a truly wonderful trip to Warsaw and Krakow!
We flew United/Lufthansa-Dulles>Frankfurt>Warsaw, 4 nights in Warsaw, train to Krakow, flew home Krakow>Munich>Dulles. All flights went smoothly.
The weather was great for October- high 50s and 60s, lots of sunshine and not a drop of rain! From the moment we saw the driver “Tom” from our B&B at the Warsaw airport holding a sign with my name on it, to our last day in Krakow, we loved every minute in Poland! My husband is of Polish descent so it was wonderful visiting the country of his ancestors!
Our B&B in Warsaw was the very charming Boutique B&B with a great location just a couple blocks from the Royal Route. http://bbwarsaw.com The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was very good with many options. Guests sit around one big table so we spoke with people from all over the world. The highlight of this B&B is intimate Chopin piano concerts almost every evening from phenomenal young pianists!
Chopin is my very favorite composer and Warsaw was his city so I was in Chopin heaven! We loved the “Chopin Benches” and enjoyed finding them throughout the city.
We know that Warsaw was destroyed during World War II. Seeing how the citizens have rebuilt was a great testament to the strength of the Polish people.
In the interest of time, I won’t go into great detail but I’ll be happy to answer any questions.
DAY 1: We walked the Royal Route-Nowy Swiat (New World), saw many beautiful palaces and churches, Copernicus square and statue, inside St Anne’s, St John’s Cathedral, St Martin’s, and Holy Cross (where Chopin’s heart is entombed in one of the pillars!). We walked through Castle Square, Multimedia Fountain park, saw the city wall and Barbican, Stare Miasto (Old Town Square-undergoing renovation), quaint cobblestone streets, went into some shops, and stopped for paczki-the delicious Polish donut. Actually, we had paczki almost everyday! They were especially good at the well known A. Blikle on Nowy Swiat,33
DAY 2: The wonderful Chopin museum, Castle Square and Stare Miasto again,Warsaw Uprising Monument and Cathedral of the Polish Army across the street, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (also undergoing renovation),beautiful Saxon Park, Church of the Visitation for Mass.
DAY 3: Bus to Museum of the History of the Polish Jews-not yet finished but the building is magnificent. You can go inside the building even though exhibits aren’t up and running yet. It will be amazing when complete. Ghetto Heroes Square, Path of Remembrance, Mila 18 Memorial, Umschlagplatz -the transfer place for trains to Auschwitz-all extremely moving and heartbreaking. Another bus to the beautiful Lazienki Park with the huge Chopin statue and the Palace on the Water. We walked back to our B&B through pretty streets with Embassies and fashion shops.
DAY 4: Toured the Castle which was amazing, another brief stop in St. John’s Cathedral, walked the quaint streets of “New” Town to New Town Square and St. Kazimierz church, found the clock on the old town wall. My daughter and I climbed St Anne’s church tower for a magnificent view of the whole city. Fabulous hot chocolate and dessert at E.Wedel.
ul Szpitalna, 8
Restaurants we enjoyed in Warsaw:
Pierogarnia na Bednarskiej ul. Bednarska, 28/30
Grill Bar Zgoda ul. Zgoda, 4
Bellini Rynek Stare Miasto 21
Banja Luka ul Szkolna,2/4
Honoratka- a restaurant that Chopin and his friends frequented! ul Miodowa,14
Borpince ul Zgoda,1
Kluska Polska ul Krzywe Koło 30
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Anyone done a self-drive boat canal/river trip in France (or elsewhere)?
- 2 Overstaying 90 day Schengen stay limit
- 3 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 4 1st time in London - Location wise, which would be the better for us?
- 5 Letter from the Belgian Embassy
- 6 10 nights in Italy for a first timer
- 7 Porto Portugal Hotels
- 8 Planning 2 days in Granada
- 9 London - Home From Home Apartment Rental Agency
- 10 Where in Europe for 15 full days from 21 Oct to 6 Nov 2016?
- 11 Greenland: Photos of Midnight Sun Iceberg Kayaking
- 12 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 13 Loire Valley itinerary
- 14 Puglia, and a touch of Rome
- 15 Non-alcoholic drinks to try in Andalusia
- 16 Breakfast: London
- 17 France and Switzerland in 15 days
- 18 Travel plan help in Germany
- 19 Anybody rented from Allure-Apart?
- 20 Where to stay in Paris for our 1st time there?
- 21 Camino Redux
- 22 Pylos to Corinth with two days to spare, perhaps in Arcadia?
- 23 Athens, Greece--transfer from airport to downtown hotel
- 24 Return hire car to Athens airport early tomorrow morning
- 25 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
POLAND October,2013! Overdue trip report
Poland! Overdue trip report October 2013