I’m hoping someone can provide some advice on my upcoming excursion to Plitvice Lakes.
As previously stated in other threads (in Slovenia section), I will be traveling with my parents (age 68, 69) to Croatia early September. We will be renting a car in Rovinj and driving it to Plitvice Lakes. Based upon my research, it appears that the trip will take approximately 4 hours of driving time.
I know the Lakes would take only one day, but considering our travel time from Rovinj, I’m thinking it would be too ambitious to attempt to do the walk the same day we arrive, keeping in mind that it may be crowded as well. I hope to do one of the longer routes of the Lakes (4-6 hours per their website).
What complicates matters is that we will be moving onto Ljubljana after our time in Plitvice and trying to figure out the best way to drop off the rental and move onto Ljubljana via public transportation, therefore adding a schedule consideration into the mix.
So, taking all of this into consideration, I’m thinking we would need two nights in Plitvice?
If we stay two nights, we now potentially have some free time as we head to Plitvice. If we do take it easy, any suggestions of a stop along the way, even if it may just be for lunch? Rijeka? Opatija? This will be our first time driving in Europe, so I would like to stick to smaller towns if possible.
Any suggestions? Would attempting the drive and Lake walk on the same day be too ambitious (one over night) or would the option of two nights be best with a stopover along the way?
Thanks so much for your advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 2 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 3 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 4 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 5 Train help for Prague
- 6 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 7 Iceland Ring Road itinerary
- 8 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 9 driving from prague to salzburg
- 10 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 11 Swiss Travel Pass
- 12 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 13 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 14 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 15 Germany train help!
- 16 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 17 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 18 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 19 dining on the 25th in Dublin
- 20 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 21 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 22 Our Italian Honeymoon (first timers)
- 23 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 24 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 25 Amalfi Coast - help!