I’m hoping someone can provide some advice on my upcoming excursion to Plitvice Lakes.
As previously stated in other threads (in Slovenia section), I will be traveling with my parents (age 68, 69) to Croatia early September. We will be renting a car in Rovinj and driving it to Plitvice Lakes. Based upon my research, it appears that the trip will take approximately 4 hours of driving time.
I know the Lakes would take only one day, but considering our travel time from Rovinj, I’m thinking it would be too ambitious to attempt to do the walk the same day we arrive, keeping in mind that it may be crowded as well. I hope to do one of the longer routes of the Lakes (4-6 hours per their website).
What complicates matters is that we will be moving onto Ljubljana after our time in Plitvice and trying to figure out the best way to drop off the rental and move onto Ljubljana via public transportation, therefore adding a schedule consideration into the mix.
So, taking all of this into consideration, I’m thinking we would need two nights in Plitvice?
If we stay two nights, we now potentially have some free time as we head to Plitvice. If we do take it easy, any suggestions of a stop along the way, even if it may just be for lunch? Rijeka? Opatija? This will be our first time driving in Europe, so I would like to stick to smaller towns if possible.
Any suggestions? Would attempting the drive and Lake walk on the same day be too ambitious (one over night) or would the option of two nights be best with a stopover along the way?
Thanks so much for your advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 2 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 3 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 4 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 5 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 6 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 7 Recommendations for Wiesbaden
- 8 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 9 Visiting London 05/02 - 05/20 (US dates)
- 10 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 11 Trip to Rome
- 12 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 13 Greek Islands (small)
- 14 Spain in December
- 15 Vegetarian Food in Spain & Portugal
- 16 cheap food in london
- 17 tickets for the Tower's Ceremony of the Keys
- 18 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 19 Eating Indian In London
- 20 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 21 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 22 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 23 Sundays in Puglia
- 24 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 25 Itinerary help Portugal and Azores