I’m hoping someone can provide some advice on my upcoming excursion to Plitvice Lakes.
As previously stated in other threads (in Slovenia section), I will be traveling with my parents (age 68, 69) to Croatia early September. We will be renting a car in Rovinj and driving it to Plitvice Lakes. Based upon my research, it appears that the trip will take approximately 4 hours of driving time.
I know the Lakes would take only one day, but considering our travel time from Rovinj, I’m thinking it would be too ambitious to attempt to do the walk the same day we arrive, keeping in mind that it may be crowded as well. I hope to do one of the longer routes of the Lakes (4-6 hours per their website).
What complicates matters is that we will be moving onto Ljubljana after our time in Plitvice and trying to figure out the best way to drop off the rental and move onto Ljubljana via public transportation, therefore adding a schedule consideration into the mix.
So, taking all of this into consideration, I’m thinking we would need two nights in Plitvice?
If we stay two nights, we now potentially have some free time as we head to Plitvice. If we do take it easy, any suggestions of a stop along the way, even if it may just be for lunch? Rijeka? Opatija? This will be our first time driving in Europe, so I would like to stick to smaller towns if possible.
Any suggestions? Would attempting the drive and Lake walk on the same day be too ambitious (one over night) or would the option of two nights be best with a stopover along the way?
Thanks so much for your advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 2 Tracking the Weather
- 3 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 4 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 5 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 6 Itinerary Three Weeks Greece Fall 2018
- 7 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 8 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 9 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 10 Dublin to Dun Laoughaire on a Sunday
- 11 Support Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, etc
- 12 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 13 Good mobile plan for traveller
- 14 First trip to Greece (last minute!)
- 15 Shorts in South of France?
- 16 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 17 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 18 Europe itinerary help!
- 19 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 20 Lario Bus or taxi at Linate?
- 21 Which Day?
- 22 barcelona neighborhood
- 23 Edinburgh Tattoo-2017-Tickets
- 24 Trip to Hungary, Croatia, Prague May 2018
- 25 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!