I’m hoping someone can provide some advice on my upcoming excursion to Plitvice Lakes.
As previously stated in other threads (in Slovenia section), I will be traveling with my parents (age 68, 69) to Croatia early September. We will be renting a car in Rovinj and driving it to Plitvice Lakes. Based upon my research, it appears that the trip will take approximately 4 hours of driving time.
I know the Lakes would take only one day, but considering our travel time from Rovinj, I’m thinking it would be too ambitious to attempt to do the walk the same day we arrive, keeping in mind that it may be crowded as well. I hope to do one of the longer routes of the Lakes (4-6 hours per their website).
What complicates matters is that we will be moving onto Ljubljana after our time in Plitvice and trying to figure out the best way to drop off the rental and move onto Ljubljana via public transportation, therefore adding a schedule consideration into the mix.
So, taking all of this into consideration, I’m thinking we would need two nights in Plitvice?
If we stay two nights, we now potentially have some free time as we head to Plitvice. If we do take it easy, any suggestions of a stop along the way, even if it may just be for lunch? Rijeka? Opatija? This will be our first time driving in Europe, so I would like to stick to smaller towns if possible.
Any suggestions? Would attempting the drive and Lake walk on the same day be too ambitious (one over night) or would the option of two nights be best with a stopover along the way?
Thanks so much for your advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 EPSON@ printer Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tech c*Are 22/7
- 2 Ireland for work. Add on a week-Scotland? Netherlands?
- 3 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 4 I bought a one way ticket to Europe.
- 5 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 6 17 year old need a birth certificate to travel?
- 7 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 8 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 9 Paris - Top Foodie Eats? Staying near Le Marais
- 10 Maximizing Norway time
- 11 Possible British Airways strike action, July 2017
- 12 Lisbon Hotel choice
- 13 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 14 Train from Brussels to Amsterdam
- 15 Greece Honeymoon Itineraries
- 16 Hiking in Switzerland
- 17 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 18 Need help planning trip after Paris
- 19 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 20 David's First Draft Itinerary for Northern Spain and Portugal 2018
- 21 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 22 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 23 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 24 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 25 ITALY – ON AND OFF THE BEATEN PATH: Venice & Northern Italy