My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in May. After one night in Milan and three in the Cinqueterre, we will be spending nine nights in Sicily, and need your help with this part of our itinerary.
Some background: This is our third trip to Italy, but first to Sicily (Milan and Cinqueterre, too!) My grandparents were from Nicosia, so we want to visit there, plus see as many highlights we can in our too-short trip. We love history, ruins, museums, great food and scenery. My husband plans to drive--he’s a great driver, but not a big fan of scary heights.
We've done quite a bit of research (including on this board--thank you!!!) and have settled on a few possible itineraries. I really don’t like one-night hotel stays, but seem stuck with a few here. Please weigh in with your experience and wisdom! Any hotel and restaurant recommendations are most welcome, too.
Fly (free!) to Milan--1 night (Hotel: Gran Duca di York)
Day 2-4: Milan in am, train to Cinqueterre (Hotel: La Toretta in Manarola)
DAY 5: fly to Palermo via Milan or Genoa, stay 2 nights in Palermo (Hotel???)
Day 6: see Palermo and Monreale
Day 7: rent car at Palermo airport, drive to Agrigento. See ruins, stay 1 night (Hotel???)
Day 8-9: Drive to Piazza Armerina, see mosaics, then on to Nicosia, stay 2 nights
Hotel: Baglio San Pietro (agriturismo just outside town) or Hotel Panorama (in town)
Day 10-11: Drive to Siracusa, stay 2 nights (Hotel??)
Day 12-14: Drive to Taormina, stay 2 nights (Hotel??)
Day 15: drop car at Catania airport, fly home--overnight layover in Dusseldorf
We can’t change number of days in Sicily, but can change where we go.
Do we need another day in Palermo?
Should we shorten our stay in Nicosia to one night? I hate one-nighters, and this is my ancestors’ home, so I don’t want to cut it short--but will we be bored in Nicosia or agriturismo?
Should we do Taormina as day-trip only and stay three or four nights in Siracusa? Some people seem to love Taormina, others think it’s touristy.
Is there a better route than the one we are taking?
Are we being too ambitious? Missing something we shouldn’t?
Thanks so much for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 라이브배팅┏际】 SOJU98。ZE。AM 【际┓라이브배팅
- 2 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 3 라이브배팅┏际】 SOJU98。ZE。AM 【际┓라이브배팅
- 4 인터넷바둑이┏下】 SOJU98。ZE。AM 【下┓인터넷바둑이
- 5 온라인바둑이┏过】 SOJU98。ZE。AM 【过┓온라인바둑이
- 6 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 7 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 8 Walking itinerary in England?
- 9 지존게임┏送】 SOJU98。ZE。AM 【送┓지존게임
- 10 Where are the ALERT buttons for unreadable Asian-language messages?
- 11 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 12 2 weeks in Southern Ireland
- 13 Summer in Swiss Alps and Italian Lakes
- 14 Killarney
- 15 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 16 Ireland itinerary help please
- 17 No Periods in British Written English!
- 18 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 19 Sabbatical in Tuscany
- 20 Rome-Itinerary
- 21 Italy bus or train
- 22 Best place in Italy for a tourist during Easter
- 23 Paperwork to Marry in Italy
- 24 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 25 hiking itinerary UK two months