My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in May. After one night in Milan and three in the Cinqueterre, we will be spending nine nights in Sicily, and need your help with this part of our itinerary.
Some background: This is our third trip to Italy, but first to Sicily (Milan and Cinqueterre, too!) My grandparents were from Nicosia, so we want to visit there, plus see as many highlights we can in our too-short trip. We love history, ruins, museums, great food and scenery. My husband plans to drive--he’s a great driver, but not a big fan of scary heights.
We've done quite a bit of research (including on this board--thank you!!!) and have settled on a few possible itineraries. I really don’t like one-night hotel stays, but seem stuck with a few here. Please weigh in with your experience and wisdom! Any hotel and restaurant recommendations are most welcome, too.
Fly (free!) to Milan--1 night (Hotel: Gran Duca di York)
Day 2-4: Milan in am, train to Cinqueterre (Hotel: La Toretta in Manarola)
DAY 5: fly to Palermo via Milan or Genoa, stay 2 nights in Palermo (Hotel???)
Day 6: see Palermo and Monreale
Day 7: rent car at Palermo airport, drive to Agrigento. See ruins, stay 1 night (Hotel???)
Day 8-9: Drive to Piazza Armerina, see mosaics, then on to Nicosia, stay 2 nights
Hotel: Baglio San Pietro (agriturismo just outside town) or Hotel Panorama (in town)
Day 10-11: Drive to Siracusa, stay 2 nights (Hotel??)
Day 12-14: Drive to Taormina, stay 2 nights (Hotel??)
Day 15: drop car at Catania airport, fly home--overnight layover in Dusseldorf
We can’t change number of days in Sicily, but can change where we go.
Do we need another day in Palermo?
Should we shorten our stay in Nicosia to one night? I hate one-nighters, and this is my ancestors’ home, so I don’t want to cut it short--but will we be bored in Nicosia or agriturismo?
Should we do Taormina as day-trip only and stay three or four nights in Siracusa? Some people seem to love Taormina, others think it’s touristy.
Is there a better route than the one we are taking?
Are we being too ambitious? Missing something we shouldn’t?
Thanks so much for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 2 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 3 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 4 Now to Madrid
- 5 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 6 3 days solo in London
- 7 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 8 Chania
- 9 Edinbrugh
- 10 Berlin to ?
- 11 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 12 Hotels in Turin
- 13 Help on ancient history route
- 14 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 15 Studying art in English in venice
- 16 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 17 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 18 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 19 Forte dei Marmi - must see/do list
- 20 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 21 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 22 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 23 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 24 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 25 Croatia itinerary - need advice