My husband and I are planning our first trip to Portugal next May, and would love your help. We are trying to keep it to 9 or 10 nights, but of course, find so much we want to see that it’s hard to make choices. We are early 60’s and love great food, wine, scenery, history, local charm, museums and hikes.
Prefer to limit one-night stays as much as possible.
Here is our tentative itinerary. We are thinking of flying into Lisbon and out of Porto (or vice versa).
Fly to Lisbon. Stay 3 or 4 nights with day trip to Sintra
Rent a car and drive to Obidos, lunch, and then overnight in Coimbra 1 night.
Drive to Douro Valley—2 nights
Drive to Porto, drop off car. Stay 3 nights with day trip to Guimares and/or Braga/Bom
If we reverse trip, we would stop/lunch in Coimbra and overnight in Obidos.
Questions for those who have been there:
Lisbon or Porto first? We’re thinking Lisbon as we like to do bigger cities first while fresh.
Which also asks…overnight in Obidos or Coimbra?
Three or 4 nights in Lisbon?
Are we missing anything we will be sorry for later?
Should we avoid Coimbra during Quimas das Fitas?
Haven’t gotten to hotels/inns/pousadas yet, but would love advice there, too. Charm and sense of place more important than price, but prefer to average under 200 euro a night. One two splurges ok.
Thank you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss Half Fare Card
- 2 Versailles
- 3 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 4 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 5 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 6 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 7 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 8 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 9 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 10 LISBON FOOD NOTES Fall, 2016
- 11 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 12 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 13 driving from prague to salzburg
- 14 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 15 We're here!
- 16 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 17 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 18 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 19 WB Harry Potter Studios Sold Out
- 20 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 21 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 22 Germany train help!
- 23 Cap Corse - clockwise or counterclockwise
- 24 Most beautiful building facades and photo ops in Paris
- 25 Acorn TV