I'm planning a trip in December 2014 with my wife over France and Switzerland. My wife is a big Paris fan (though I'm not). What I propose is as follows
24/12 - Arrival into Paris (evening arrival)
25/12 - Paris
26/12 - Paris
27/12 - Paris to Strasbourg (3 hours) - take a reasonably early train so that we get the bulk of the day in Strasbourg - visit the Christmas Markets
28/12 - Strasbourg - visit the Christmas Markets and general sightseeing in the city
29/12 - Strasbourg to Lucerne (3 hours) - take a reasonably early train so that we get the bulk of the day in Lucerne. We propose to thereafter use Lucerne as a base and make day trips.
30/12 - Lucerne
31/12 - Lucerne
1/1 - Lucerne
2/1 - Lucerne
3/1 - Lucerne to Paris (6 hours)
4/1 - Paris
5/1 - Paris
6/1 - Depart Paris (evening departure)
Apart from any suggestions on chopping or changing the itinerary, I was wondering if anyone could help with the following:
Q1. Do we have enough time in Strasbourg or is it just too short a trip? I've heard of people doing the Christmas Market as a day trip from Paris so I thought this may be enough.
Q2. Is Lucerne a good choice as a base that time of year? What day trips could we take around Lucerne?
Q3. Would anyone recommend Bern or Interlaken (or any other place) over Lucerne? We're not intending to ski.
Q4. Which is the best panoramic train journey which could fit into our itinerary?
Q5. Considering we're in Switzerland for as little as 4/5 days, does it make sense to buy a train pass (Swiss Saver or Swiss Flexi or Swiss Card) or simply buy point to point tickets?
Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read my long post and chose to help. Any and all suggestions would be very much welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 2 Ireland travel passport question
- 3 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 4 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 5 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 6 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 7 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 8 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 9 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 10 Biarritz family holiday
- 11 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 12 Trying to pick a Greek Island
- 13 Bernina Express mid-March
- 14 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 15 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 16 Luggage for train travel in Europe
- 17 Ireland hotel questions
- 18 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 19 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 20 Itinerary help--Loire Valley and Brittany
- 21 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 22 Revised itinerary for italy
- 23 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 24 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 25 where to stay in London?