I'm planning a trip in December 2014 with my wife over France and Switzerland. My wife is a big Paris fan (though I'm not). What I propose is as follows
24/12 - Arrival into Paris (evening arrival)
25/12 - Paris
26/12 - Paris
27/12 - Paris to Strasbourg (3 hours) - take a reasonably early train so that we get the bulk of the day in Strasbourg - visit the Christmas Markets
28/12 - Strasbourg - visit the Christmas Markets and general sightseeing in the city
29/12 - Strasbourg to Lucerne (3 hours) - take a reasonably early train so that we get the bulk of the day in Lucerne. We propose to thereafter use Lucerne as a base and make day trips.
30/12 - Lucerne
31/12 - Lucerne
1/1 - Lucerne
2/1 - Lucerne
3/1 - Lucerne to Paris (6 hours)
4/1 - Paris
5/1 - Paris
6/1 - Depart Paris (evening departure)
Apart from any suggestions on chopping or changing the itinerary, I was wondering if anyone could help with the following:
Q1. Do we have enough time in Strasbourg or is it just too short a trip? I've heard of people doing the Christmas Market as a day trip from Paris so I thought this may be enough.
Q2. Is Lucerne a good choice as a base that time of year? What day trips could we take around Lucerne?
Q3. Would anyone recommend Bern or Interlaken (or any other place) over Lucerne? We're not intending to ski.
Q4. Which is the best panoramic train journey which could fit into our itinerary?
Q5. Considering we're in Switzerland for as little as 4/5 days, does it make sense to buy a train pass (Swiss Saver or Swiss Flexi or Swiss Card) or simply buy point to point tickets?
Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read my long post and chose to help. Any and all suggestions would be very much welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lyon
- 2 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 3 French theater in Paris
- 4 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 5 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 6 Best way to learn a foreign language?
- 7 Self drive tour companies
- 8 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 9 Germany family road trip help!
- 10 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 11 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 12 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 13 Barcelona
- 14 France, UK and Ireland
- 15 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 16 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 17 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 18 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 19 Italian lakes
- 20 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 21 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 22 What do after Bernia Express?
- 23 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 24 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 25 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth