I'm planning a trip in December 2014 with my wife over France and Switzerland. My wife is a big Paris fan (though I'm not). What I propose is as follows
24/12 - Arrival into Paris (evening arrival)
25/12 - Paris
26/12 - Paris
27/12 - Paris to Strasbourg (3 hours) - take a reasonably early train so that we get the bulk of the day in Strasbourg - visit the Christmas Markets
28/12 - Strasbourg - visit the Christmas Markets and general sightseeing in the city
29/12 - Strasbourg to Lucerne (3 hours) - take a reasonably early train so that we get the bulk of the day in Lucerne. We propose to thereafter use Lucerne as a base and make day trips.
30/12 - Lucerne
31/12 - Lucerne
1/1 - Lucerne
2/1 - Lucerne
3/1 - Lucerne to Paris (6 hours)
4/1 - Paris
5/1 - Paris
6/1 - Depart Paris (evening departure)
Apart from any suggestions on chopping or changing the itinerary, I was wondering if anyone could help with the following:
Q1. Do we have enough time in Strasbourg or is it just too short a trip? I've heard of people doing the Christmas Market as a day trip from Paris so I thought this may be enough.
Q2. Is Lucerne a good choice as a base that time of year? What day trips could we take around Lucerne?
Q3. Would anyone recommend Bern or Interlaken (or any other place) over Lucerne? We're not intending to ski.
Q4. Which is the best panoramic train journey which could fit into our itinerary?
Q5. Considering we're in Switzerland for as little as 4/5 days, does it make sense to buy a train pass (Swiss Saver or Swiss Flexi or Swiss Card) or simply buy point to point tickets?
Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read my long post and chose to help. Any and all suggestions would be very much welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Porto in January
- 2 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 3 Anyone Use the Venezia Unica City Pass?
- 4 The DCC scam is spreading
- 5 Scotland itinerary advice
- 6 Any downside when booking codeshare flights?
- 7 Rome Water Shortage
- 8 Amsterdam Train Help Please!
- 9 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 10 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 11 Valencia Spain
- 12 Whistle stop family road trip
- 13 5 nights in Granada and Malaga - what combo?
- 14 Lake Como,Italy
- 15 Greek Islands - Should we rent a car on Mykonos and Santorini?
- 16 Help with tips in UK
- 17 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland
- 18 Cab cost from Tegel/ Germany/ to Charlottenstrasse
- 19 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 20 Schengen question....confirmation needed
- 21 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 22 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 23 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 24 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 25 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip