I'm planning a trip in December 2014 with my wife over France and Switzerland. My wife is a big Paris fan (though I'm not). What I propose is as follows
24/12 - Arrival into Paris (evening arrival)
25/12 - Paris
26/12 - Paris
27/12 - Paris to Strasbourg (3 hours) - take a reasonably early train so that we get the bulk of the day in Strasbourg - visit the Christmas Markets
28/12 - Strasbourg - visit the Christmas Markets and general sightseeing in the city
29/12 - Strasbourg to Lucerne (3 hours) - take a reasonably early train so that we get the bulk of the day in Lucerne. We propose to thereafter use Lucerne as a base and make day trips.
30/12 - Lucerne
31/12 - Lucerne
1/1 - Lucerne
2/1 - Lucerne
3/1 - Lucerne to Paris (6 hours)
4/1 - Paris
5/1 - Paris
6/1 - Depart Paris (evening departure)
Apart from any suggestions on chopping or changing the itinerary, I was wondering if anyone could help with the following:
Q1. Do we have enough time in Strasbourg or is it just too short a trip? I've heard of people doing the Christmas Market as a day trip from Paris so I thought this may be enough.
Q2. Is Lucerne a good choice as a base that time of year? What day trips could we take around Lucerne?
Q3. Would anyone recommend Bern or Interlaken (or any other place) over Lucerne? We're not intending to ski.
Q4. Which is the best panoramic train journey which could fit into our itinerary?
Q5. Considering we're in Switzerland for as little as 4/5 days, does it make sense to buy a train pass (Swiss Saver or Swiss Flexi or Swiss Card) or simply buy point to point tickets?
Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read my long post and chose to help. Any and all suggestions would be very much welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland - We're Here!
- 2 Burgundy or Languedoc-Rousillon
- 3 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 4 Paris for children
- 5 3 weeks with Kids - Austria Itinerary help
- 6 Couscous
- 7 European Vacation 2017
- 8 Do I need a Swiss rail pass?
- 9 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 10 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 11 Naples + Walking Tour
- 12 Day Trip Suggestions from Munich
- 13 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 14 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 15 16 days in France and Italy
- 16 A week all around Sicily - May 2017
- 17 One July night in Verona - help!
- 18 Southern Italy Help - Part 2
- 19 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 20 London in September
- 21 Avoid Europcar!
- 22 Cash in Greece ATMs
- 23 Visiting the Dordogne/Lot
- 24 IWM
- 25 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May