We are 2 adults and 2 boys (6, 11) flying from US into Amsterdam on July 1st and flying out of Munich on the 15th of July. We really want to spend a few days in Switzerland this time (but the return fares from both Zurich and Geneva were exorbitant).
Here is our planned itinerary.
Amsterdam – 3 nights (July 1, 2, 3)
Munich – 2 nights (July 13, 14, flying out on 15th late afternoon)
Switzerland – 5 nights (3 nights in Berner oberland, 2 nights – Lucerne/Engelberg/Vevey or ? )
For the other 4 nights we are thinking,
Rhine valley and
Bavarian Country side or Salzburg/Hallstatt
Our route ideas
1. Train from Amsterdam to cologne, see the cathedral and drive through Rhine valley to Freiburg(or ?) drop off the car and train to Switzerland. Train from Switzerland to some German or Austrian town and rent a car for another 2 or 3 days before moving on to Munich
2. Overnight train from Amsterdam to Switzerland. From Switzerland train to some German/Austrian town(?) rent a car for 4-5 days, finally to Munich to drop off the car
3. Train from Amsterdam-Cologne rent car for 4-5 days tour Germany/Austria(except Munich), train to Switzerland – train from Switzerland to Munich for final 2 days and fly out
4. Open to other ideas?
This is where we need help. Please help us with the best logical route. Also looking for suggestions on best places to spend the other 4 nights?
What we would like to do –
Spend a night or two in a kid friendly castle (moats, rooms behind bookcases kind of place)
Visit the Neuschwanstein castle – We probably won’t go inside but we would like to see the castle, enjoy the scenery, explore Mary’s bridge, get some pictures…
Visit a Beer Hall with oompa music
Luge ride or some similar fun for kids
Farm stay –May be?
Museums – May be, not too keen
Other ‘uniquely Europe’ family fun ideas ?
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 2 Watch Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 2017 Online hd-free
- 3 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 4 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 5 Europe itinerary help!
- 6 Shorts in South of France?
- 7 barcelona neighborhood
- 8 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 9 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 10 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 11 Les Invalides Night Show
- 12 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 13 First trip to Greece (last minute!)
- 14 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 15 What are your favorite restaurants in Prague? (+itinerary critique)
- 16 Best Greek Island
- 17 Which Day?
- 18 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 19 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 20 Advice for Honeymoon in Iceland (5 days)
- 21 Corsica and Sardinia
- 22 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 23 Regarding Residence Permit
- 24 ANY SUGGESTION WHICH AREA OF MADRID TO STAY FOR ACCOMODATION
- 25 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?