We are 2 adults and 2 boys (6, 11) flying from US into Amsterdam on July 1st and flying out of Munich on the 15th of July. We really want to spend a few days in Switzerland this time (but the return fares from both Zurich and Geneva were exorbitant).
Here is our planned itinerary.
Amsterdam – 3 nights (July 1, 2, 3)
Munich – 2 nights (July 13, 14, flying out on 15th late afternoon)
Switzerland – 5 nights (3 nights in Berner oberland, 2 nights – Lucerne/Engelberg/Vevey or ? )
For the other 4 nights we are thinking,
Rhine valley and
Bavarian Country side or Salzburg/Hallstatt
Our route ideas
1. Train from Amsterdam to cologne, see the cathedral and drive through Rhine valley to Freiburg(or ?) drop off the car and train to Switzerland. Train from Switzerland to some German or Austrian town and rent a car for another 2 or 3 days before moving on to Munich
2. Overnight train from Amsterdam to Switzerland. From Switzerland train to some German/Austrian town(?) rent a car for 4-5 days, finally to Munich to drop off the car
3. Train from Amsterdam-Cologne rent car for 4-5 days tour Germany/Austria(except Munich), train to Switzerland – train from Switzerland to Munich for final 2 days and fly out
4. Open to other ideas?
This is where we need help. Please help us with the best logical route. Also looking for suggestions on best places to spend the other 4 nights?
What we would like to do –
Spend a night or two in a kid friendly castle (moats, rooms behind bookcases kind of place)
Visit the Neuschwanstein castle – We probably won’t go inside but we would like to see the castle, enjoy the scenery, explore Mary’s bridge, get some pictures…
Visit a Beer Hall with oompa music
Luge ride or some similar fun for kids
Farm stay –May be?
Museums – May be, not too keen
Other ‘uniquely Europe’ family fun ideas ?
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 2 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 3 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 4 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 5 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 6 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 7 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 8 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 9 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 10 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 11 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 12 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 13 38 Days in Paris
- 14 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 15 Naxos car rental
- 16 Greek Islands (small)
- 17 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 18 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 19 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 20 Things to do in Brussels
- 21 Short Trip in July
- 22 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 23 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 24 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 25 Recommendations for Wiesbaden