I am planning a trip in early 2012 for Prague and Kosice. I have never visited either city. My great grandparents came to the United States from Kosice in 1890. This is going to be a very exciting trip for me.
My plan, right now, is to fly in to Prague and spend a total of 8 days or so in Europe. I know from reading the threads here that there is a train that takes one from Prague to Kosice that is about 9 hours long. My thought is to spend one whole day and spend overnight in Kosice, before taking the train back to Prague.
I know, for sure, the one thing I want to do is eat a great meal at Golem. Being a beer lover, this is a must for me. It also appears that the town of Kosice is very central and most if not all of the great city sights can be found on foot.
I was wondering if anyone could make recommendations for other things to see or do. I will also need recommendations for an inexpensive place to stay in Kosice during this overnight visit. I am not expecting anyone to be able to speak English, so I will be working on some Czech/Slovak in the mean time.
Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much,
Planning visit to Kosice, Slovakia
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Staycation: can't believe I'm doing this
- 2 Too many Trip Reports
- 3 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 4 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 5 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 6 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 7 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 8 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 9 6+ weeks in Portugal and Spain - itinerary suggestions pls
- 10 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 11 For Those of You Who Scoff At Train Travel
- 12 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 13 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 14 Help with England/Wales tour
- 15 Reykjavik hotels
- 16 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 17 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 18 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 19 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 20 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 21 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 22 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 23 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 24 Norway 2014
- 25 Portugal Trip Report 2014