You guys were very helpful while planning, and during, our last trip (7 weeks to Turkey and Greece last spring), so I'd like your thoughts and suggestions while planning our next trip.
We're planning a trip to Eastern Europe next fall (leave beginning or mid September), for as long as it takes to complete our itinerary (hopefully, not longer than 6 weeks). We've just started to plan the trip, and there is so much (actually, everything) that we need to firm up, and your help would be greatly appreciated.
We've cobbled together a preliminary itinerary that looks like it would work geographically (although maybe not logistically?). Here it is (remember, everything's fluid at this stage, question marks where I could use your suggestions):
Fly from Denver to Helsinki (3 days in H. ?);
Ferry (or train?) to St. Petersburg (5 days in S.P.?);
Ferry (or train?) to Tallinn (2 - 3 days in T.?);
Train to Riga (2 - 3 days in R.?);
Train to Vilnius (2 - 3 days in V.?);
Train to Warsaw (is it practical to get a car in Vilnius - we'll probably want to drive for most of the rest of the trip? If not, we'll pick up a car in Warsaw). (3 days in W?);
Drive to Krakow (3 days in K.?);
Drive to Prague (4 days in P.?);
Drive to Budapest (4 days in Budapest?);
Drive to Ljubljana (2 days in L.?);
Drive to Dubrovnik (or is it better to catch a boat, maybe from Trieste?). (2 - 3 days in D.?)
Boat to Montenegro (haven't chosen a city here, Podgorica looks like it's inland; any suggestions?)
Boat to Corfu. (2 - 3 days in C.?)
At this point, we'll have seen what we wanted to, but haven't yet chosen an exit strategy (i.e., how do we get back to Denver?).
It's pretty clear that the estimated number of days in each place puts us at 6 weeks (not counting travel days), so we'll need to trim some time from the trip, either by cutting back the time in some of the cities (your suggestions will help a lot here), or cutting back on the number of places (perhaps breaking this into 2 trips?). We're not pressed for time (I'm retired), but we've found that 6 weeks makes for a comfortable trip.
Logistically, is it practical to rent a car to travel between countries, and drop it off at a different location? Also, best way to get from Helsinki to St. Petersburg to Tallinn?
What visas are required in advance?
There's a lot to decide and we're just beginning. I'm looking forward to your suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 아찔한달리기 www.adal.ml 제주도오피 제주도건마 제주도휴게텔 제주도마사지
- 2 신논현오피 아달 신논현건마 www.adal.ml 신논현휴게텔 신논현마사지
- 3 Comments on locations/sestieri, please
- 4 Nafplio to Hydra
- 5 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 6 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 7 시흥오피 아찔한 달리기 시흥건마 www.adal.ml 시흥휴게텔 시흥마사지 시흥키스방
- 8 Fine-tuning Requested: Naxos, Santorini, Athens Itinerary
- 9 Favorite restaurants in Provence???
- 10 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 11 Fodors monitors - "view profile" not available on Foxfire
- 12 Day Trips from Dunfermline
- 13 Santorini lodging
- 14 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 15 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 16 Six Days on the Road in Ireland...Ideas?
- 17 May get together in Paris
- 18 14 days in Italy in late June with 6 adults + 6 little kids
- 19 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
- 20 Self drive tour companies
- 21 info Faro & Algarve
- 22 Positano to Maori drive or ferry and how much visiting time?
- 23 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 24 Advice needed- Sardinia or Costa Brava (again) in August
- 25 Best way to get to Kinderdijk in April