I have a multi part question here:
Part 1) I’m wondering if anyone can draw some contrast between Pienza and Montepulciano. I understand that Pienza is flatter and that can make negotiating a car in and out easier, and that it is a bit more centrally located. Here are some specific ways I’d like to know how they stack up but I welcome other insights as well.
The views – does one offer superior outward views of the valley/countryside?
Liveliness/activity in town – does one town shut down earlier than the other? Does either one have more folks still out strolling and hanging out in cafes later into the evening than the other?
Flowers/beauty – this might be silly but when I Google image Pienza I see more flowers & plants on sills, planter boxes and more climbing plants along walls & buildings, etc. than when I Google image Montepulciano. Is this accurate? Is Pienza more flowery?
I am struggling between these two, and I don’t think I can go wrong with either one but I do need something to inspire a final choice.
Part 2) I have gotten the impression that Siena is best at night, both because day trippers have gone and because it lights up nicely at night. I don’t know if I should make Siena a day trip from Montepulciano/Pienza or stay 1-2 nights in Siena. This is still tentative, but I’m looking at between 6-8 nights total in this part of Tuscany. Do I stay 2 of those nights in Siena? This also hinges on getting to the airport in either Pisa or Florence. Pisa is preferred for flight schedule. Is it possible to leave our hotel in Siena bound for either of those airports for a same day AM flight whether by train/bus or by private driver? Or must we stay in our departure city the night before? If we must stay the night in the departure city then that probably dictates keeping Siena a day trip as I do not want 3 different overnight stays inside of 7 days.
Part 3) Does anyone have any experience with airbnb? I have not used them before and I don’t know anything about their reputation. I browsed some good looking and well priced properties on their site though. And how crucial is air conditioning in Pienza/Montepulcino during the tail end of September? Would choosing accommodations without AC be a big mistake?
Thanks a bunch!
Pienza or Montepulciano? And advice on airport logistics (departure)
- 1 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 2 Euro Train
- 3 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 4 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 5 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 6 Prague - must see
- 7 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 8 Getting to Gatwick and home again
- 9 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!
- 10 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 11 Advises for trip to Russia
- 12 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 13 First time traveler to Ireland
- 14 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 15 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 16 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 17 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 18 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 19 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 20 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 21 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 22 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 23 March 2013: Barcelona, Rome and Prague Trip Report
- 24 Alsa Bus between Portugal and Spain
- 25 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s