First I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my questions regarding our Italy itinerary a month ago. We have narrowed down some options and I would love to get more feedback.
My husband and I are headed to Italy for our first time in early October. We only have 7 days (not including travel time) to explore so we have to keep our trip pretty concise. We are flying out of Denver, CO on Thursday October 3 and arrive in Milan (Linate) at 6:00 pm on Friday the 4th. From there, our itinerary is open. We had hoped to hit up Tuscany and Cinque Terre, but after we got some great feedback from this forum, we changed our minds a bit. We figured Tuscany would have to wait until we had a full trip devoted to it.
We are a very active, 30-something couple with no kids and want to do some hiking/more adventurous travel, wine tasting/drinking and exploring the Italy's culinary scene. (not interested in the arts, cities or museums)- We prefer to visit remote quaint pastoral, farmlands or seaside village to enjoy beautiful landscapes and views.
We are considering driving from Milan Friday night to the Piedmonte area, spending Friday night through Monday or Tuesday in Piedmonte to hike, explore, enjoy the fall food festivals and wineries, etc- would like to stay at an agritourism inn or rent a farmhouse in Piedmonte to cook for ourselves (suggestions for where to stay welcome!)
Then head to Santa Margherita and spend Tuesday through Thursday exploring the Ligurian coast- hiking Cinque Terre or other parks in that area, etc.
We could drive back on Friday to Milan (thinking about driving from CT/La Spezia to Parma or Reggio Emilia for a day and then heading into Milan in the evening)- flight is out of Milan on Saturday at 1:00 pm.
Based on our preferences- culinary taste of Italy/wineries, hiking, combo of adventure and some relaxation- with the amount of time that we have, does this seem like a good start? Many people on this forum have cautioned us against CT, due to the fact that it's touristy and the weather could be problematic for hiking in October, and we aren't set on CT, but would like to spend a few days on the Ligurian coast, so we are open to suggestions.
We will rent a car- and one more thing, I am a vegetarian so my only concern is if the culinary scene in Piedmonte is veggie-friendly (a wine distributor we know said it was not- eek)
Sorry for the lengthy post Thanks in advance for advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Areas in Milan
- 2 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 3 http://supplementbase.com/nutraher-lean
- 4 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 5 Perugia
- 6 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 7 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 8 Ireland itinerary help please
- 9 No Periods in British Written English!
- 10 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 11 CDG much improved
- 12 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 13 St Denis Cathedral
- 14 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 15 Versailles & musical fountains: Touristy or Magical? Skip it or Don't Miss?
- 16 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 17 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 18 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 19 Rouen Tour Companies
- 20 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 21 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 22 Ronda Wine/biking
- 23 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 24 Italy bus or train
- 25 May get together in Paris