Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels in Aix-En-Provence
- 2 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 3 France to stop making foie grois
- 4 Small detour from Paris
- 5 Last Minute Advice needed for Rome
- 6 Switzerland/Italy Advice
- 7 Germany / Austria in December with parents - weather question, please help!
- 8 Plug ins for London and Paris
- 9 Do i need to validate international train tickets?
- 10 Quick drive thru Luxmbourg
- 11 please revew provence agenda
- 12 file of medicinal drug alleviation plans
- 13 Transportation from Spain to Portugal
- 14 Input on England, Scotland & Ireland
- 15 Provence to Nice driving
- 16 Is Mljet a reasonable substitute for Korcula?
- 17 holiday problem in Budapest
- 18 Bergamo and Padua: Best Atmosphere for Aimless Strolling? 3-night-Split
- 19 When and how to book for a trip?
- 20 Portugal Beaches 3-4 days
- 21 Help with Italy Itinerary: October 2016
- 22 Ferries from Santorini to Folegandros
- 23 Sicily or Rome
- 24 Transportation from Budapest to Krakow
- 25 Wine Tours from Pienza