Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lisbon Portugal to Madrid Spain in January
- 2 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 3 small Paris hotel 6 or 7 Arr
- 4 Poll: Most loved smaller European cities & towns (under 500,000 pop.)
- 5 Best company/Tour for one day Amalfi Coast from Rome
- 6 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?
- 7 Stroller in Europe
- 8 Car rental leaving Rome
- 9 NEED HELP PLANNING SPAIN ITINERARY
- 10 Why Not Helsinki?
- 11 Pre-Booking Train Tickets
- 12 Rome to Todi on a Sunday - public transport help please
- 13 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 14 Transportation from Malpensa to Stresa
- 15 Suggestions for base in the Var
- 16 Amsterdam - Germanyin mid April
- 17 London Travelcard vs oyster card
- 18 Summer Language Programs in Germany
- 19 Paris Under Seige...
- 20 8 days in Vienna in December
- 21 Question About My US Passport for Visit to France
- 22 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 23 Rotterdam in 1923
- 24 What one thing in Paris?
- 25 First Day: Cashel or Kilkenny?