Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Pickpocket reminder .............................
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 2 Day trip on the Rhine
- 3 Hut to hut hiking in Bavarian alps
- 4 Germany-berlin marathon
- 5 Italy for 3 in 12 days
- 6 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 7 museum passes in Rome
- 8 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014
- 9 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 10 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 11 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 12 Benefits of Living in an HOA Community of the Cindy Shearin Group
- 13 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 14 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 15 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 16 Best Time of Day and Vantage Point for Seven Sisters
- 17 Estonia Amber
- 18 My Italy Itinerary for July 2014
- 19 Quick notes from 2 weeks in Turkey
- 20 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 21 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 22 UK for 12 days !
- 23 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 24 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 25 Hungary - Budapest Eger Szentendre photo gallery and tourist attractions