Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 2 Paris hotels
- 3 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 4 London Hotels
- 5 Denmark or Sweden?
- 6 We're here!
- 7 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 8 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?
- 9 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 10 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 11 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 12 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 13 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 14 Europe itinerary questions
- 15 Amsterdam hotels
- 16 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 17 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 18 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 19 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 20 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 21 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 22 Brugge hotel help
- 23 Five night Ireland Trip
- 24 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 25 10 days in Paris and......