Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://supplementeffects.com/amabella/
- 2 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 3 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 4 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 5 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 6 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 7 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 8 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 9 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 10 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 11 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 12 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 13 Europe First Timers
- 14 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 15 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 16 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 17 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 18 Iceland for Nine Days
- 19 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 20 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 21 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 22 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 23 Rome or Venice first
- 24 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 25 A quick visit to Hampton Court