Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Pickpocket reminder .............................
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bologna tips
- 2 Transportation from Nice to Florence
- 3 Edinburgh - outings?
- 4 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 5 London and Where Else in late December?
- 6 Spain - Cadaques to Girona
- 7 How much time did -you- spend in Delphi and Olympia?
- 8 plug adaptors for Switzerland
- 9 What to wear
- 10 Scotland: Scone Game Day vs St. Andrews?
- 11 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 12 Spain, France, Netherlands with 18, 19 yo grandsons
- 13 What can we do with 4 hours in Paris layover
- 14 2 Weeks in Italy - In Less than 2 Weeks!
- 15 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 16 Couples trip- 18 nights-Itinerary Help
- 17 Madrid and London
- 18 Tour Guide in Budapest
- 19 Planning for Italy trip with a two-year old
- 20 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 21 Electronic plug adapter for Italy
- 22 Bologna airport to train to Florence
- 23 Gargano Promontory
- 24 London neighborhood suggestions
- 25 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?