Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Pickpocket reminder .............................
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland to Ban Eating Cats and Dogs?
- 2 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 3 Air pollution in Paris
- 4 Info requested for Paris, Strasbourg and Berlin
- 5 Dublin to Armagh?
- 6 Trains in Italy
- 7 Euro Quiz #3 - Europe's Ten Biggest Castles...
- 8 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 9 Naxos in May
- 10 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 11 England and Scotland
- 12 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 13 Solo Scotland May 2014
- 14 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 15 Iceland: How to Split Up 7 Days self-drive
- 16 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 17 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 18 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 19 Budapest to Berlin by Train - Tickets on DB BAHN not available for 05 Jan
- 20 Euro Geography Quiz #2 - How Well Do You Know Europe?
- 21 connecting flight to marseille or not
- 22 rent phone and 3g wifi
- 23 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 24 Beaune to Chamonix to Paris---driving/train?
- 25 France, Italy and Greec