Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Travel vs. Babies
- 2 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 3 Flights between Rome, Paris, London- I have questions!
- 4 Another strong earthquake in central Italy
- 5 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 6 Luggage allowance internal connection to international
- 7 Italy - rental car damages query
- 8 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 9 Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.
- 10 8 days Skiing, City and Christmas Markets in Central Europe in late Nov
- 11 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 12 CDG much improved
- 13 European Cooking Secrets
- 14 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 15 Early Spring Air Sales To Europe
- 16 London's Must Sights!
- 17 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 18 Venice & Bellagio Trip Report
- 19 20 Days in Europe
- 20 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
- 21 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan
- 22 TGV from Paris to Vienna?
- 23 Trip Report: Krakow and Warsaw
- 24 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 25 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland