Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Pickpocket reminder .............................
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Oxford or Cambridge?
- 2 Best day trips from Paris
- 3 Scottish Passport
- 4 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 5 California touring rock thrash band, France and Italy
- 6 Train Travel - Paris to Brussels & Bruges
- 7 Where is this place in Denmark?
- 8 cell phone usage in Italy (US)
- 9 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 10 Italy- Car Rental help- in a bit of a jam
- 11 2 weeks on Lake Maggiore
- 12 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 13 Good Loire Valley 2 day tour group? Or also do Mt. St Michel?
- 14 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 15 Help with Amsterdam for Christmas and Paris for New Year’s
- 16 Viator.com in Turkey
- 17 20th ANNIVERSARY TRIP ITALY Rome, Florence, Tuscany & other nearby towns.
- 18 visit a working farm in Southern Ireland
- 19 Paris to Chantilly transportation question
- 20 Netflix has expanded to 6 new countries today.
- 21 Florence Hotel Advice
- 22 Paris GTG 10/1-10/8?
- 23 Once Again Asking .... This Time Ireland
- 24 Italy tours
- 25 Amsterdam neighborhood to stay for 2 weeks