Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cinqueterre
- 2 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 3 US Expats living in London what do you miss?
- 4 Transportation Question Italy
- 5 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 6 Short Trip to Paris
- 7 Driving (hire car) in London…
- 8 17 days in England
- 9 SNCF - low price for summer
- 10 Fave National Parks in Spain? also: Barcelona or Madrid?
- 11 Easter Week in Europe, Destination Suggestions Please
- 12 Italy Trip Report
- 13 credit and debit cards
- 14 Spain: 2 versions of a new itinerary. Please help me figure this out.
- 15 Please help with planning Italian honeymoon
- 16 Getting from Ravello to Venice
- 17 Parking in Girona
- 18 2 nights in the Montreux-Vevey-Lavaux area
- 19 Naples, Herculaneum and Capri Early April - recommendations
- 20 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 21 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 22 Alhambra ticket confusions
- 23 Seeking advice on apt rental
- 24 Sevilla lodging 3 adults 3 kids and things to do
- 25 Bordeaux, la Rochelle, Toulouse & Garonne-by bike, self-drive boat & car