Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Pickpocket reminder .............................
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trips from Seville
- 2 Airport to Piraeus
- 3 SmartPhone Europe to USA
- 4 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 5 Honeymoon in Greece 10 days : Athen Santorini Crete
- 6 Rent a villa in Crete or Not?
- 7 storing luggage for 10 days in Paris?
- 8 What time does Left-Luggage lockers open at Gare Du Nord??
- 9 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 10 How Do I call the US from Italy?
- 11 Paris - Cochem - Cologne - Paris
- 12 7 Nights in Paris
- 13 Crete or Mallorca? Where to go?
- 14 Experiences with spanish tour operator Iberica Travel?
- 15 How to split nine days on Crete?
- 16 Day Trip from Paris? Versailles - go or no? Other ideas . . .
- 17 Best cheap airport hotel/hostel in Madrid?
- 18 Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza - 1 week. Seeking lodging, itinerary suggestions.
- 19 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 20 Riga 2014
- 21 Albania by bus in 10 days??
- 22 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 23 What area of Berlin is best for a first time visitor?
- 24 Itinerary: 13 day trip to Greece
- 25 FRANCE: SIM CARD