Worth remembering to take sensible precautions ?
I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.
The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !
And of course the pickpocket had vanished.
It is worth describing the incident as a warning.
Place : Le Comedie tram stop
Time : 12.30
How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.
Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !
Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.
I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tweesters+ tour of Catalonia and Languedoc-Roussillon
- 2 Help with itinerary in Southern Italy in Maye
- 3 Bootcut jeans
- 4 Norway Fjords
- 5 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 6 Day trip suggestion from London
- 7 UK train question
- 8 POST CRUISE IN ROME FOR 5 DAYS
- 9 London Itinerary - Late Summer
- 10 Desperate Help with Itinerary to Alsace/Alps/Provence
- 11 Car rental insurance woes
- 12 Advance purchase tickets for Seville??
- 13 St Mont Michel, how much time do I need
- 14 Umbria and Piedmont
- 15 I need a practice room! (piano)
- 16 My niece wants a one week student tour
- 17 5 day home base between Venice and Florence with Teenage boys?
- 18 Train/rental car questions Milan-Bolzano
- 19 Cheap Airfare to Spain
- 20 Car and Driver in Italy
- 21 Road tripping: Isle of Skye to London
- 22 Honeymoon Plans London+Paris+??April-May
- 23 3 Days in the Black Forest
- 24 Andalusia itinerary comments & advice please!
- 25 Dijon: The Best/Most Memorable In Your Opinion