I might be moving to Spain in a few months time and I've been reading a lot of information about it online. One of the most concerning things to me seems to be the prevalence of pickpockets. Now I've lived in Europe before - in Paris for a few months - and I spent a lot of time in Paris and traveling to a few other cities, including Barcelona and I fortunately was not the victim of any theft. Still it seems like the pickpockets in Madrid, where I will probably be living, seem to be more adept and prevalent than in other places. In the past, I was mostly there in winter so I wore a coat with inner pockets most days and I usually kept my camera, wallet, ipod touch and cell phone in the inner pockets which made things relatively easy.
Now I know I'll be in Spain when it's a lot warmer and I won't be able to wear a coat so I want to know how best to protect my valuables (besides just not having them on me). I usually wear a small crossbody bag with multiple, zippered compartments. I keep my items in different sides of the bag and my cards in a small inner pocket. I'm considering getting a money belt but that still doesn't explain how to protect my wallet or my camera (small point and shoot) which I will be accessing constantly. This is really concerning me so if you have any advice as to how to protect yourself in summer, that would be great. I know there's always a risk but as I'll be living there at least for a few months, I'd like to be able to enjoy the city, relatively worry-free.
Also I've been lurking on this site since before I went to France a few years ago and I know you all give great advice and have helped me a ton before so thank you.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 2 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 3 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 4 Tours vs solo travel (want to see as much as possible in 3-4 months)
- 5 Rome to Naples/Pompeii
- 6 20 year anniversary trip to Scotland
- 7 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 8 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 9 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 10 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 11 Edinburgh's Fringe Festival...A Most Unique and Eclectic Event!
- 12 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 13 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 14 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 15 Oyster card?
- 16 Lyon airport hotel or downtown + taxi
- 17 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 18 London Theater
- 19 multi city flights to europe
- 20 Staying in Madrid for one night?
- 21 3 week italy itinerary coming along! now need help with car/trains please
- 22 Switzerland in September
- 23 Milan and Lake Como
- 24 9 day Trip to Scotland
- 25 Uber in Rome & Lisbon