I might be moving to Spain in a few months time and I've been reading a lot of information about it online. One of the most concerning things to me seems to be the prevalence of pickpockets. Now I've lived in Europe before - in Paris for a few months - and I spent a lot of time in Paris and traveling to a few other cities, including Barcelona and I fortunately was not the victim of any theft. Still it seems like the pickpockets in Madrid, where I will probably be living, seem to be more adept and prevalent than in other places. In the past, I was mostly there in winter so I wore a coat with inner pockets most days and I usually kept my camera, wallet, ipod touch and cell phone in the inner pockets which made things relatively easy.
Now I know I'll be in Spain when it's a lot warmer and I won't be able to wear a coat so I want to know how best to protect my valuables (besides just not having them on me). I usually wear a small crossbody bag with multiple, zippered compartments. I keep my items in different sides of the bag and my cards in a small inner pocket. I'm considering getting a money belt but that still doesn't explain how to protect my wallet or my camera (small point and shoot) which I will be accessing constantly. This is really concerning me so if you have any advice as to how to protect yourself in summer, that would be great. I know there's always a risk but as I'll be living there at least for a few months, I'd like to be able to enjoy the city, relatively worry-free.
Also I've been lurking on this site since before I went to France a few years ago and I know you all give great advice and have helped me a ton before so thank you.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help please
- 2 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 3 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 4 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 5 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 6 Andalucia itinerary help
- 7 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 8 Perugia
- 9 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 10 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 11 UK itinerary advice (family of 4)
- 12 Family vacation to europe
- 13 Paris cooking classes
- 14 Ronda Wine/biking
- 15 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 16 St Denis Cathedral
- 17 My Ring Road experience in Iceland
- 18 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 19 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 20 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 21 No Periods in British Written English!
- 22 Rouen Tour Companies
- 23 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 24 Ireland itinerary help please
- 25 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please