I might be moving to Spain in a few months time and I've been reading a lot of information about it online. One of the most concerning things to me seems to be the prevalence of pickpockets. Now I've lived in Europe before - in Paris for a few months - and I spent a lot of time in Paris and traveling to a few other cities, including Barcelona and I fortunately was not the victim of any theft. Still it seems like the pickpockets in Madrid, where I will probably be living, seem to be more adept and prevalent than in other places. In the past, I was mostly there in winter so I wore a coat with inner pockets most days and I usually kept my camera, wallet, ipod touch and cell phone in the inner pockets which made things relatively easy.
Now I know I'll be in Spain when it's a lot warmer and I won't be able to wear a coat so I want to know how best to protect my valuables (besides just not having them on me). I usually wear a small crossbody bag with multiple, zippered compartments. I keep my items in different sides of the bag and my cards in a small inner pocket. I'm considering getting a money belt but that still doesn't explain how to protect my wallet or my camera (small point and shoot) which I will be accessing constantly. This is really concerning me so if you have any advice as to how to protect yourself in summer, that would be great. I know there's always a risk but as I'll be living there at least for a few months, I'd like to be able to enjoy the city, relatively worry-free.
Also I've been lurking on this site since before I went to France a few years ago and I know you all give great advice and have helped me a ton before so thank you.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sardinia or Corsica??
- 2 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 3 credit and debit cards
- 4 Labor Day in Paris
- 5 Ger’s Paris Trip Report: February 2017
- 6 Morgan Hotel London for solo female
- 7 Short Trip to Paris
- 8 Driver"s License & Language
- 9 Road trip to Spanish Pyrenees - Suggestions?
- 10 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 11 Train up the Jungfrau
- 12 3 months in Switzerland this summer, need suggestions on weekend trips
- 13 Late april early may or october for paris and italy?
- 14 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 15 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 16 I may be wrong....
- 17 Which 2 towns as base for Brittany and Normandy
- 18 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 19 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 20 National Parks close to Malgrat de Mar or Barcelona recommendations
- 21 Tips / stops on drive from Munich, Fussen, Salzburg
- 22 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 23 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 24 I cuisine vs Cookin With Class
- 25 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)