We will be visiting Europe for a 2.5 weeks period starting September 18th and leaving on October 6th...Family of 3 - 2 adults and 1 child (8 years)... Both of us are heavily into photography and absolutely LOVE the mountains... This is our 6th trip to Europe and we have covered Alps in Germany, Austria, Italy (Dolomites), France and of course in Switzerland... Have stayed 10 days in the Berner Oberland region... For the Berner Oberland region we did not drive and just relied on the Swiss Trains for the entire trip... Which was fabulous, since they are one of the best network in the world... but we realized that we did miss driving aroundas being photographers we love the flexibility of stopping anywhere enroute for clicking and making last minute changes to the trip... So this trip is geared towards driving in scenic areas and hiking some of the easy to moderate hikes...
For this trip, for the first 5-6 days we would like to cover the Zermatt area and then drive some of the best scenic routes through the Swiss Alps and descend into the Dolomites ... I need some help on this forum to decide the best driving route through the Alpine Passes in Switzerland
Starting in Milan to Zermatt to Engelberg to St. Moritz to Bolzano Italy
Based on the research I have done, below is the list of the best and scenic passes and drives that I have found... And then based on this, I have tried to map out a route in Google Maps which is pasted below...
List of Passes and Drives in Switzerland
1. Great St. Bernard Pass from Martigny to San Bernardino
2. Road over Furka Pass from Gletsch to Andermatt
3. Grimsel Pass from Gletsch to Innertkirchen
4. Susten Pass from Innertkirchen to Wassen onto Engelberg
5. St. Gotthard Pass Road from Andermatt to Biasca
6. Road over Bernina Pass from St. Moritz to Tirano (via Samedan and Pontresina)
I still have not figured out the best way to cover all three Furka pass, Grimsel pass and Susten pass on the same drive to Engelberg without having to backtrack... But we will figure that out...
I have also mapped out an alternate route going through Austria and leaving teh St Moritz region... This is based on some things I read about Silvretta Haus region being very pretty in Austria...
For now, I just need feedback if there are some other passes or scenic routes in this vicinity that would silly to miss out on... Also, let me know your thoughts between the two routes above... Once I have finalized the driving route, will figure out the logistics of distances, how much to drive in one day and overnight stays etc etc...
So please let me know which ones are your favorite driving routes in this region and that I must incorporate...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Giving credit card details to Hotels for reservation
- 2 Greece, Italy Or Swiss in Late Oct ??
- 3 Dordogne Itinerary
- 4 Our Next Europe Trip
- 5 Italian Roadtrip ideas/feedback
- 6 Rome - To Tour or Not to Tour
- 7 Parking in Hallstadt, Dachstein and Linz?
- 8 Paris - for the 6th time - need new ideas!
- 9 Advise on where to base in Ireland for 2 week trip
- 10 Mount Etna -Sicily
- 11 Izmir to Istanbul
- 12 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 13 The cathedral of Amiens in color
- 14 6 weeks in Tuscany-things to do
- 15 Planning our Honeymoon
- 16 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 17 "Magnificent" video exhibit at Palazzo Vecchio in Florence
- 18 Day trip to Pompeii from Napoli
- 19 Andalucia to Madrid
- 20 Did I make a mistake arriving Venice on a holiday (Nov 1)?
- 21 Segovia Hotel
- 22 Itinerary Barcelona & Southern France 9/23-10/14/15
- 23 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 24 Confused ~ Pheasant Inn Lake District
- 25 Shuttle Service in Paris