I absolutely will not be bringing my useless Virgin Mobile USA phone with me. In fact I want to leave it at home to avoid any accidental roaming charges, etc. That leaves me with a dilemna. First/ Go NO PHONE, 2nd/ buy a phone & sim card package stateside, 3rd/ buy phone stateside & local sim cards for UK & then France, or 4th/ buy phone with sim card installed once we arrive in London. Any suggestions what might work for 2 seniors traveling without a tour group for guidance? The local sim cards are of interest because of the much cheaper local rates BUT I can never find an accurate from UK (or France) per minute rate back to the US. Are we looking at $.50 or higher per minute rates for calls back to US? Most packages bought stateside charge at least that to call home. I assume the stateside bought packages are a ripoff... but convenience is nice. BTW I will have my Nexus 7 tablet and a Kindle with me so wifi should be available to me. But I have never been a SKYPE user and would be a slow learner so that is not my first option. My initial concern is the car service pickup at Heathrow. Without a phone can they contact me (or I contact them) in case of changes, etc. As an afterthought I might like a designated 'travel phone' I could use on my next trip as well.... If I survive the stress of this one! Thanks.
Phone for London & then Paris ? (in 1 week)
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Lake como
- 2 NEW TO FODORS: Suggestions/Advice for 10 days in Europe
- 3 Geneva/Graechen/Milan Driving in February
- 4 Getting around in Tuscany
- 5 Rome L. Argentina Ruins - Can they be explored or just viewed from street?
- 6 Venice in Jan
- 7 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 8 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 9 Public transport from Ostuni
- 10 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 11 British drivers
- 12 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 13 Need advice - Context Tours for Gallery Borghese & Vatican
- 14 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 15 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 16 Italy with 4 teenagers, 1 child and a husband in 18 days - thoughts?
- 17 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 18 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 19 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 20 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 21 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 22 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 23 Fun things to do in Copenhagen
- 24 Le Marche and Rome - Part 2 - Urbino
- 25 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!