I absolutely will not be bringing my useless Virgin Mobile USA phone with me. In fact I want to leave it at home to avoid any accidental roaming charges, etc. That leaves me with a dilemna. First/ Go NO PHONE, 2nd/ buy a phone & sim card package stateside, 3rd/ buy phone stateside & local sim cards for UK & then France, or 4th/ buy phone with sim card installed once we arrive in London. Any suggestions what might work for 2 seniors traveling without a tour group for guidance? The local sim cards are of interest because of the much cheaper local rates BUT I can never find an accurate from UK (or France) per minute rate back to the US. Are we looking at $.50 or higher per minute rates for calls back to US? Most packages bought stateside charge at least that to call home. I assume the stateside bought packages are a ripoff... but convenience is nice. BTW I will have my Nexus 7 tablet and a Kindle with me so wifi should be available to me. But I have never been a SKYPE user and would be a slow learner so that is not my first option. My initial concern is the car service pickup at Heathrow. Without a phone can they contact me (or I contact them) in case of changes, etc. As an afterthought I might like a designated 'travel phone' I could use on my next trip as well.... If I survive the stress of this one! Thanks.
Phone for London & then Paris ? (in 1 week)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotel in Venice
- 2 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 3 9 days in turkey
- 4 Rental Car Reservation via Ireland site or American site?
- 5 7 days in Greece
- 6 Transportation from Peisey Vallandry to Paris
- 7 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 8 Itinerary Check- London, Paris, Rome
- 9 Non touristy restaurants in Budapest and prague
- 10 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 11 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 12 Switzerland & Italian Riviera & Sardinia Summer 2014
- 13 Airbnb recommendations: London, Paris, Rome
- 14 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 15 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 16 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 17 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 18 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 19 Looking for recommendations for trip insurance
- 20 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 21 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 22 Europe in 21 days
- 23 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 24 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 25 Question re. ToT Montserrat Ticket for day trip