I haven't been to Paris in almost 40 years -- and with my horrid memory, I might as well have never been there. Besides, when I was there, virtually every museum was on strike.
Now ... DP and me (gay men, 56 & 60) are planning 4 or 5 nights following a business commitment in Ireland. That means we're stuck with late Feb./early March.
We're not fussy about hotels but we are somewhat budget conscious, so will likely book through Priceline or Hotwire.
We'll want to see the standard tourist sites: the Louvre; Notre Dame; Eiffel Tower; the Parthenon (KIDDING!). Also the catacombs.
Are there areas that would be more centrally located for us? There are sooo many "zones" to choose from on Priceline & Hotwire.
Is Paris easy to get around on foot? Are the tourist attractions relatively near each other? We love walking (but it will be cold).
One other question ... we don't speak a word of French (other than "bonjour," "ooh, la, la" and "oui"). Will it be difficult for us to communicate? My recollection is that 40 years ago, no one seemed able (or willing) to speak English.
Thanks for you help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tour Company reviews - European Graduation Trip
- 2 14 days in Italy. Advice needed
- 3 Roadtrip: France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxemburg
- 4 Matera tour guide wanted
- 5 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 6 help deciding between 2 itineraries!
- 7 Alsace Wine Route during Harvest
- 8 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 9 Service dog
- 10 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 11 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 12 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 13 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 14 Scottish National Museum of Rural Life
- 15 Coastal Denmark
- 16 Christian Cafe Dating
- 17 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 18 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 19 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 20 Iceland
- 21 Help with my southern Spain itinerary please!
- 22 croatia and slovenia 29/10 - 06/11
- 23 base for Andalucia
- 24 Assist Please: A'dam/Cologne/Mosel Valley/Aachen
- 25 ANY SUGGESTION WHICH AREA OF MADRID TO STAY FOR ACCOMODATION