NPR carried a blurb this morning on Paris' heralded Velib' bike rental program and by most accounts it is an overwhelming success. Each of the thousands of bikes are ridden by 10-12 riders a day and clock 10-12,000 km a year - they can be picked up and returned to about 1,000 different stations. And the fallout has seen individuals buying and riding their own bikes as well.
Now the bad part - 16,000 bikes have been vandalized and another 8,000 simply stolen - 100 have been fished out of the Seine - replaced bikes cost $500 each - and the City of Paris is picking up the tab - in the beginning it was said no tax money would be paid into the plan as JCDecaux publicity firm was paying for it all in return for putting ads on the bike stations and, no sure, bikes themselves.
But the program is still by most accounts a great success - even though American tourists reportedly have a hard time getting their chip-less credit cards to work in disengaging the bikes. but riders are advised to make sure the bike's tires are not flat, chains not broken, etc. before taking the bike.
And Lyon, which launched a Velib-type program before Paris reports very few problems with thefts, vandalism, etc.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 2 Belgium for the 1st time
- 3 Help! Suggestions for Italian itinerary
- 4 Best Destination for Teenage Girls?
- 5 Which bus from Bratislava train station
- 6 First Post, Lots of Questions
- 7 Torridon Scotland. Four days. What to do?
- 8 Norway Trip Report 2016
- 9 Parma hotels - Pacchiosi or Rosa Prati
- 10 Overstaying 90 day Schengen stay limit
- 11 February in Florence
- 12 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 13 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 14 Munich hotel near the Christmas Village late November
- 15 The Texas Trio Tour England
- 16 Iceland and the Fareoe Islands in two weeks
- 17 The highlands
- 18 Naxos hotel question
- 19 Juangfrau / mt
- 20 1 week solo in Europe. Which of these?
- 21 Loire Valley itinerary
- 22 Venice, September 2016, a trip report (sort of).
- 23 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg
- 24 Should we go to Vienna?
- 25 Please recommend an honest car rental service in Romania