NPR carried a blurb this morning on Paris' heralded Velib' bike rental program and by most accounts it is an overwhelming success. Each of the thousands of bikes are ridden by 10-12 riders a day and clock 10-12,000 km a year - they can be picked up and returned to about 1,000 different stations. And the fallout has seen individuals buying and riding their own bikes as well.
Now the bad part - 16,000 bikes have been vandalized and another 8,000 simply stolen - 100 have been fished out of the Seine - replaced bikes cost $500 each - and the City of Paris is picking up the tab - in the beginning it was said no tax money would be paid into the plan as JCDecaux publicity firm was paying for it all in return for putting ads on the bike stations and, no sure, bikes themselves.
But the program is still by most accounts a great success - even though American tourists reportedly have a hard time getting their chip-less credit cards to work in disengaging the bikes. but riders are advised to make sure the bike's tires are not flat, chains not broken, etc. before taking the bike.
And Lyon, which launched a Velib-type program before Paris reports very few problems with thefts, vandalism, etc.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)
- 2 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 3 Self Drive French Canal Barge
- 4 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 5 London 7 Day Paper Travelcard clarification
- 6 Best of Norway
- 7 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 8 National Parks close to Malgrat de Mar or Barcelona recommendations
- 9 2-4-1 / the best way to use this facility ...
- 10 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 11 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 12 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 13 Place to stay
- 14 CROATIA, SLOVENIA 16 days itinerary help
- 15 Kitchenette in hotel room?
- 16 to get to the Rijks Museum from Schiphol - bus or train
- 17 London advice
- 18 Eating in Italy with food allergies
- 19 Another Question re Scotland
- 20 Train up the Jungfrau
- 21 Charming areas to explore in London
- 22 Valencia, Spain
- 23 London, Glasgow, and ?
- 24 Visit to Engand
- 25 Lovely Luxembourg!