I've started thinking about another trip with the family to Paris (and Burgundy) next spring/summer, and we'll want to stay in a rental apartment like we always have.
I just read a comment from Kerouac on another post strongly implying that vacation rentals in 2015 will be gone... or at the very least a be a difficult option... because Paris is finally cracking down on the legislation. I'd love to see more discussion about this issue.
Will self-catering rentals in Paris really go away? Will they just become more difficult to find, or be left to a handful of corporate rental companies (which would drive a premium on the rentals).
The agent we used last year explained to us (and this may or may not be truth) that the law applies only to unregistered rentals, and that companies that are in the commercial rental business and pay their fees legally will be able to continue renting. We shared that apartment with another couple, and payed a high premium for a luxury 3 bedroom/3 bath apartment by Invalides---so it's unlikely I'd return to that apartment next year with just us and the kids. But she said rentals like that, where the owner has applied for the permit and pays the fees, will continue renting legally.
So please tell me, is that an accurate understanding of the law? Are there rental agencies that are already positioning themselves this way? If so, I imagine this law will effectively drive up the price of vacation rentals for "legit" rentals. Or will people continue to book with VRBO and ignore the law, and run risk of their rental being unavailable when they land?
Obviously, there seems to be no noticeable decrease in available apartments when you google Paris apartments, including many of the usual suspects and well-loved Fodors favorites. But is that starting to change?
Fodors Paris pros... what do you all think? Care to wager a guess what 2015 will be like? Will they be successful stopping all self-catering apartments? Are they mostly cracking down on people using VRBO and Air BNB and less on the agencies that rent them through more formal/established commercial channels?
Thanks for sharing your ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 A Month stay in Southern France
- 3 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 4 Help with Ireland Itinerary
- 5 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 6 If you had to choose one......
- 7 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 8 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 9 Luggage for train travel in Europe
- 10 What is best for gps & data for trip to spain and portugal?
- 11 Trying to pick a Greek Island
- 12 2017 Easter in Italy
- 13 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 14 Bernina Express mid-March
- 15 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 16 Ireland travel passport question
- 17 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 18 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 19 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 20 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 21 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 22 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 23 Biarritz family holiday
- 24 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 25 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)