Working on narrowing down choices of where to go abroad in April for 11 or 12 days (not counting travel days). I live on east coast U.S.A., have not yet traveled extensively out of the country (tho' I guess that's relative!); so far have been to Rome, London, Barcelona, west coast of Mexico (Melaque) and many parts of Canada. Possibilities am considering are Paris/Bruges; Paris/Amsterdam; Paris/somewhere France countryside or coast (not yet decided); Portugal/Morocco (not narrowed down to parts yet); Portugal/Southern Spain; Peru or Argentina (as said, have just entered the narrowing down stage!).
As part of my research am talking to people I know who've traveled to any/all of these places, and was a little surprised to hear one person whose impressions are often similar to my own, say that while she fell in love with Paris many years ago, on a more recent trip she was a bit disappointed, feeling like it had become a little more like "any big city" rather than being as uniquely beautiful and charming as she'd remembered.
Of course I know that such an opinion could be heavily impacted by personal circumstances surrounding the visits, so I'm curious to know how others feel.
If in addition to commenting on your Paris impressions you have anywhere/anything else you'd suggest I consider, please go at it! I love many, many aspects of travel but most of all, more than visiting tourist attractions (tho I do that too), just wandering around and soaking in ambience. Other than that, faves are gardens, open air markets, food, architecture, history, music, art. Walking, walking, walking. Enjoy some museum going but not a huge amount. My ideal will be to experience both urban and beautiful scenery, that could be in two separate parts of the trip, or be combined into one.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice, Fodorites have helped me tremendously and successfully figure out past trips!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 2 Help on ancient history route
- 3 Forte dei Marmi - must see/do list
- 4 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 5 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 6 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 7 3 days solo in London
- 8 Chania
- 9 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 10 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 11 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 12 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 13 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 14 Croatia itinerary - need advice
- 15 Studying art in English in venice
- 16 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 17 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 18 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 19 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 20 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 21 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 22 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 23 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 24 French language immersion schools in France
- 25 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
Paris then and now....still earning its rep for charm and romance?