Thanks to another Fodorite and the fact that I'm doing all this last minute I think I may be bicycling from one location only in Amboise - maybe 5 - 7 days. It just seems easier and less costly than doing a self guided Inn to Inn bike trip.
Also, once the tour agent takes their cut of the room fees (from the tours that I can afford) the rooms are pretty sparse or worse, out in the middle of nowhere in a place where there aren't places to eat or get some water for the room. I'm not going lux but this is one of those large and important birthdays. What can I say, I don't want a room that has ceilings high enough for a small child or doesn't have a window. It seems like it would be depressing to have a sore biker's arse and be stuck in a crappy room on my big day.
At any rate, the reason that I'm here for help is to try to figure out the logistics of how to set this trip up. This will be mid September. Haven't got flights yet but do know that the flight in will arrive CDG at 5:35pm
The departing flight back to Mx will depart at 11pm. Not good times for either. Plus very long flights.
I'm thinking of staying in Paris 2/3 nights before or after bicycling in The Loire Region. Paris goal - I want an amazing birthday meal. Maybe lay low this time, walk around, eat, drink, buy myself a good BDay present (no waiting in long lines to museums, etc). This could be 2 nights only depending on the cost of the hotel or apt. Seems like there aren't too many openings this late in the game for low/middle priced hotels.
Also thinking of basing ourselves in Amboise and taking day rides either straight out of Amboise or taking the train to a further location and biking back. We're hoping but am not opposed to renting a vehicle at the start or end of staying in Amboise. Not totally sure if I want to drive through Paris in the dark after arriving. Not sure if one can even drive one way and drop off without paying a crazy high fee.
Any help is appreciated.
1 REPLY | JUMP TO BOTTOM
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 2 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 3 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 4 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 5 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 6 limousine services - milan - rome
- 7 Regarding Residence Permit
- 8 Which are the most beautiful tourist attractions, Tenerife Spain ?
- 9 Flight from Athens to Santorini- is this enough time?
- 10 Homesaty
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 The herbs in pure slim 365
- 13 Great Fare Sale Emirate Air
- 14 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 15 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 16 Route des Vins
- 17 Seville: Churches and Convent
- 18 2 days in Florence
- 19 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 20 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 21 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 22 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 23 base for Andalucia
- 24 Private tour guides in Bayeux
- 25 Scilly Islands --Abbey Gardens --Tresco