Thanks to another Fodorite and the fact that I'm doing all this last minute I think I may be bicycling from one location only in Amboise - maybe 5 - 7 days. It just seems easier and less costly than doing a self guided Inn to Inn bike trip.
Also, once the tour agent takes their cut of the room fees (from the tours that I can afford) the rooms are pretty sparse or worse, out in the middle of nowhere in a place where there aren't places to eat or get some water for the room. I'm not going lux but this is one of those large and important birthdays. What can I say, I don't want a room that has ceilings high enough for a small child or doesn't have a window. It seems like it would be depressing to have a sore biker's arse and be stuck in a crappy room on my big day.
At any rate, the reason that I'm here for help is to try to figure out the logistics of how to set this trip up. This will be mid September. Haven't got flights yet but do know that the flight in will arrive CDG at 5:35pm
The departing flight back to Mx will depart at 11pm. Not good times for either. Plus very long flights.
I'm thinking of staying in Paris 2/3 nights before or after bicycling in The Loire Region. Paris goal - I want an amazing birthday meal. Maybe lay low this time, walk around, eat, drink, buy myself a good BDay present (no waiting in long lines to museums, etc). This could be 2 nights only depending on the cost of the hotel or apt. Seems like there aren't too many openings this late in the game for low/middle priced hotels.
Also thinking of basing ourselves in Amboise and taking day rides either straight out of Amboise or taking the train to a further location and biking back. We're hoping but am not opposed to renting a vehicle at the start or end of staying in Amboise. Not totally sure if I want to drive through Paris in the dark after arriving. Not sure if one can even drive one way and drop off without paying a crazy high fee.
Any help is appreciated.
1 REPLY | JUMP TO BOTTOM
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Travel - Trivia Quiz #151
- 2 2017 Easter in Italy
- 3 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 4 4 days itinerary for France
- 5 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 6 Italy Puglia and Le Marche
- 7 Going to Russia
- 8 Beginning Itinerary Guidance
- 9 tours/attractions worth paying for in Prague/Vienna/Budapest/Krakow
- 10 Isles of Scilly - Anyone Been?
- 11 Pre-Booking Athens / Cell Phone
- 12 Trying to pick a Greek Island
- 13 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 14 Airport Transfer from Edinburgh Center to Glasgow Airport
- 15 Driving in Corwall-The Nitty Gritty
- 16 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 17 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 18 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 19 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 20 Christmas in London; New Year's in Edinburgh
- 21 France or Italy town recommendations needed for 3 week stay
- 22 Family first time Barcelona (where and how much ?)
- 23 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 24 Germany/Austria...with a toddler
- 25 Bars & Restaurants in Madrid Spain