I will be in Paris for the first time and have a few questions about arrondissements. What exactly are they? Are they similar to a zip code area in the U.S.? How large is each one? How large is the area of Paris that includes all the arrondisements?
I am considering staying in the 14th or the 17th. Is this a good idea?
Usually my thought on hotels is that I don't want to spend a lot of money on a hotel. I would rather stay in a less expensive hotel and use the money I save on nice dinners and souvineers. But I don't want to compromise my safety by staying in an unsafe area. So are the 14th and 17th safe areas?
I read in another thread that northern and north eastern Paris is dangerous. By northern and north eastern do they mean the 17th, or does it refer to areas more north and north east then that?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What to do? Free evenings in Prague and Vienna
- 2 Europe First Timers
- 3 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 4 Athens Help
- 5 Safety in Rome
- 6 Uber vs. TfL
- 7 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 8 Eloping in London, honeymooning in Paris!
- 9 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 10 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 11 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 12 Apartment Montreux area
- 13 1st Time to Ireland - what to wear?
- 14 Crete Holiday
- 15 3 days in Spain - help where?!
- 16 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 17 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 18 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 19 Greek Village
- 20 One free day in Barcelona
- 21 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 22 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014
- 23 base in brussels
- 24 Rome or Venice first
- 25 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas